• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

[Spell] Help, I wanna see ground units fly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I want to make an ability that makes a targeted ground unit fly, (no wings of course, just walk in the sky) and have the behaviour of flying unit (such as bouncing each other when collide) [hey, that's not the purpose, you idiot!!]. And temporarily, of course.

No JASS and Dummy new unit please... (JASS, i hate that! Confusing!) [so do I, but please respect the JASS user!]

Level 4
well, is that using another unit? (Medivh Crow form, although the icon is talon! It supposed to be talon form...)

It is using another unit type, but is still the same unit. There is no other (sane) way to do this. Air movement requires more than just a little tweak (that's hardcoded into the data), so you would need alternate abilities and alternate unit types for each unit that needs to fly. You decide if it is worth it. You can add the crow form ability to the unit, change flying height, and remove crow form, but this only changes appearance, not the functionality.

Level 4
Well, thanks for the answer (you're not answering it right though) [be respectful!]....

But I've ever ONCE flying-ing (ouh, that's hard to read) a unit!!! That's what makes me asking this... Unfortunately, I'm forget when is that, and why. (poor you... Youre soo unlucky) I think I was using "Unit - Add Classification" or some sort of that...

Level 33
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to YourFlyAbility
    • Actions
      • Set YourUnit = (Triggering unit)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (YourUnit is A flying unit) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
          • Unit - Add Crow Form to YourUnit
          • Unit - Remove Crow Form from YourUnit
      • Animation - Change YourUnit flying height to 500.00 at 500.00
This trigger will make your ground units (caster) to fly to 500 Z height during 1 second (500 / 500 = 1).

Level 4
Well, I'll try that... (later). Thanks for the answer!

Where's the idea come from? (from mind, precisely, you--not the reader-- idiot!)

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to YourFlyAbility
    • Actions
      • Set YourUnit = (Triggering unit)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (YourUnit is A flying unit) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
          • Unit - Add Crow Form to YourUnit
          • Unit - Remove Crow Form from YourUnit
      • Animation - Change YourUnit flying height to 500.00 at 500.00
This trigger will make your ground units (caster) to fly to 500 Z height during 1 second (500 / 500 = 1).

The problem is that he wants units to behave like flying ones. Making it LOOK like it's flying is no problem.

Level 4
Oh, well... yeah, I think I'll scrap that idea from my Air Magic abilities... Thanks for the answers!!!
(A scrapped idea must be recycled, go green!)

Level 33
It is just going to be terribly inefficient.
It's efficient to human eyes, that's good enough, working fine, no bugs, no slow in processing actions.
All of these is we see with naked eyes, not code comparison speed.

Sometimes, JASS is 500X faster than GUI, but all I see (when I compare them side by side in a same test map), I don't catch the difference, at all (like a trigger moves a unit, one that uses fully GUI action (with BJs) and one that uses fully JASS function (without BJs).
I think some of them (JASS-prefer) are overreacting on some cases, well this is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.