• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help! I lost my map because of weird WE crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I imported a custom shredder "prototype" model into my map and I deleted the Full Path of the model and left only the "IronGolem.mdx" and did the same with my custom Shredder skin, only "IronGolem.blp" left. I then saved and closed World Editor (like you do when you import stuff). I then tried to open the map again but during the "Progress" an error message popped up saying "worldedit.exe has encountered an error and has to be terminated" (loosely translated from swedish).

Is this because of what I did with the model and/or skin path? What should I do? Help me please, I may have lost my most precious map because of this!! :cry:

Last edited:
Level 17
You are so lucky you made those backup saves after every map-editing session, aren't you?
OR
You are so lucky you have Jass NewGen Pack which actually backups your last 20-30-something saved version of your map.

OR
You are so lucky that the World Editor saves your last two saves of your map to the your Maps / Test folder.

Last edited:
Level 3
Hey Minox. If the solutions already provided do not work for you, let's hope that the last map you tested was your map. --- Go to your Maps folder in the Warcraft III directory and in the maps folder try and find a folder called 'Test' (it may be at the very bottom). In this folder there will be a map called 'WorldEditTestMap'. Generally this is the very last map you tested from the World Editor.
Now open it up and hope to god it's your map.

Level 4
:(

Ok, so I tried everything.

First, I have NO luck. I'm not used to making back-up copies of my maps cuz I've never had this kind of problem before and I didn't even know these things could happen.

Second, I tried MPQmaster and did all the things I was told to do in the thread. I opened up the map, deleted every imported suspect file and tried to open the map again. Same crash.

And third, I never got to playtest the map WITH the corrupt file in it, but the Test map seemed to be an exact replica of the corrupted map anyway, so it didn't work.

It just makes me feel like quitting wc3 forever...

Level 17
Whatever you do on your computer always make backup copies. Any bigger project should be saved to a pen drive, an optical disk or to another computer or HDD. Well I guess you've learnt the lesson, but I'm afraid there is no way to get your map back now.
If you ever feel like mapping install NewGen Pack which is basically a more powerful world editor and it backups your map every time you save it (the last 30-something saves).

Status
Not open for further replies.