• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

help applying a skin to a model without replacing the original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey, here's my problem.
I recently edited the black dragon skin (textures\BlackDragon.blp). I converted it back to .blp, and imported it to it's path. and it worked. but, i also want to be able to place a normal black dragon, with the original skin. and here is my problem. how do I create a new unit based on the black dragon, with a different skin, without replacing the original. I Need to know how to do it myself, also, with other skins that i have downloaded.
thanks for your help.

Level 16
Look here.
This tutorial works fine for me.

Bloodmage and http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/dracula-blp-133163/ skin.
60665d1247726850-help-applying-a-skin-to-a-model-without-replacing-the-original-untitled.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,326
Level 2
can you help me a bit more? I'm on a mac, so i might run into problems. i can get to the .mdx file of the black dragon, and if i want to i can edit the war3.mpq. but that would be a last resort. can i not import a renamed mdx (of the black dragon) and change the path in the import manager of the skin, like when you download a model from this site? if i can do that, it would be helpfull

Level 2
cool, thanks. now, if i may, how did you do it? did you name them both the same thing? or is it more complex? i want to know how to do this on my own

Level 16
1. Open http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/war3-model-editor-62876/
2. Open Texture Manager (Windows -> Texture Manager)
3. Right click ''Texture Manager'' window
4. Press ''Import''
5. Open Material manager
6. Replace default texture with your new one
7. Delete default texture
8. Save it as: <SkinName>.mdx
9. Import model and skin in your map
10. Delete ''war3mapImported'' to set correct path.

Status
Not open for further replies.