• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Helm's Deep Full v8.5

Reactions: Vengeancekael
Helms Deep Full
A Map by Chris-Yamaha
Contributors - MetaDeath //Khamul_2003 //Sw1mmerFL256 // Kinoss // Snatch1 // Blood.of.Zel

About:

Defend Helms Deep with the heroes of Middle Earth - Legolas, Haldir, Gimli, Aragorn, Theoden, Eowyn, and Gandalf
Attack Helms Deep with the forces of Isengard - Prevent Gandalf from bringing reinforcements

How To Play:
  • Use the armies of Helms Deep to defend the walls
  • Lead Gandalf through the White Mountains and bring the Rohirrum to the battle at sunrise
  • Lead Eowyn through the Glittering Caves and protect the women and children
  • Lead the Uruk-Hai to victory, besiege the walls of Helms Deep and kill the defenders
  • Prevent Gandalf from reaching the battlefield and bringing the Rohirrum at sunrise
Other:

30min long
Protected Map

8.5 Features:

Votekick System
New Models (MetaDeath)
Bug Fixes
Gamli now joins yellow after completing side quest
New systems for various quests

Coming Soon:

Version 8.7 with more unit models, terrains, balances, and a human victory cinematic

Keywords:
Chris, Yamaha, Helm's, Deep, Full, v, 8.5, MetaDeath, Lord, of, the, Rings, LOTR, Gandalf, pink, yellow, teal, cinematic, legolas, music, Helms
Contents

Helm's Deep Full v8.5 (Map)

Reviews
18:45, 9th Aug 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved 07/01/2012 Vengeancekael: (Adding the review to the moderation) Review: Gameplay: Every player has a lot of troops with his own specific hero and everyone has a different objective, sort of...

M

18:45, 9th Aug 2011
-Kobas-:

07/01/2012
Vengeancekael:
(Adding the review to the moderation)
Review:

Gameplay:
Every player has a lot of troops with his own specific hero and everyone has a different objective, sort of, most of them just have to defend different parts of the castle, while a player has to control Gandalf and lead him through the enemy forces. The orcs are harder to control, since they have to control large masses of troops and also produce units while at it. They need to strategically move their units around and finally breach the castle's defenses and get to the king's chamber. The 'Call X uruk-hai warrior' reinforcements feature which automatically produces units and orders them to attack a chosen location is neat, making the offense for the enemy a bit easier.

The map also lacks some random events, like incoming crossbowmen reinforcements, etc.

Spells:
There are multiple heroes in the game, yet you obviously don't get to choose them, they just belong to a specific player and they do have different spells, but not custom ones, which does make the game a bit boring. Custom spells would give the map a better lotr feeling, for example you could keep the healing ability, but add more things to it, for example it increases the target's attack dps as well.

Terrain/Special Effects:
The castle layout is nice, the walls are very precise, yet the castle is missing more doodads. Maybe custom torches, abandoned shop stands, etc.
The map is huge, yes and that makes it hard to fill up the map and make it beautiful. The battlefield is empty and that does make sense, but maybe add some animated grass and lower the ground at some points, elevate it at other locations, ...
And the cliffs behind the castle don't look good at all, I would suggest using the elevate terrain tool to make huge cliffs and then adding units blockers. That would make it look better. Also the cliffs where Gandalf is, you can use those cliffs, but the ground is a bit too flat.
Also smoothen the water (screenshot below) with the smoothen terrain tool.

As for special effects, well spell-wise, they're the same effects, but blood effects would be neat, for when a unit is hit and when he dies.
->Blood effects

Sounds/Music:

There's custom lotr music and sounds, but I would suggest to remove the custom music to lower the map's filesize. Legolas' voice after the intro cinematic also doesn't fit, I'd suggest removing it.

Overall:
The map can be very enjoyable when played with friends and with a full house, it can get hectic and bloody and gandalf's/Eowyn's sides are also a bit different for a change. The map does last for 30 minutes which makes it pretty long and I would suggest lowering it, but overall it's an excellent map!
AI players for leavers would also be nice, but that would be really hard to code.
Rating: 3/5
Keep up the good work and I hope you'll continue updating the map!

Other suggestions:
  • Colorize the game messages
  • Start the intro cinematic right away (map init/elapsed time 0.00)
  • Reveal leaderboard when intro is over
  • Change Rohan Archer's icon, peasent doesn't fit
  • Change elven swordman's icon to for example human captain
  • Put the timer in the leaderboard/make a mulitboard
  • Add tips(shown on screen, not quest log)
  • Colorize the quests' text
  • Give gandalf more troops, too hard
  • Add a lever next to the gates, when clicked, it opens the gate (Use a unit as the lever base)
  • Improve the music transition/replay (smoothen)
  • Add an option to skip the intro
  • Improve the models' faces (see screenshot below), if possible
  • Pan camera to the player's troops after intro
  • Make the uruk-hai reinforcements also attack nearby enemy units, not go for the gate
  • Bind the spell hotkeys to QWER

You can fix it you can't delete the map contact a mod to remove this map or the other one.

I already asked a moderator to take down the other one.
Yes I'm pretty sure he got that.
Anyways, I'll be reviewing your map soon. ;) You will get one similar to this review, so if you also want a new description from me, just let me know.

Ooh I will need some players though, and a hoster. :p

Helms Deep Full
A Map by Chris-Yamaha
Contributors - MetaDeath //Khamul_2003 //Sw1mmerFL256 // Kinoss // Snatch1 // Blood.of.Zel

About:

Defend Helms Deep with the heroes of Middle Earth - Legolas, Haldir, Gimli, Aragorn, Theoden, Eowyn, and Gandalf
Attack Helms Deep with the forces of Isengard - Prevent Gandalf from bringing reinforcements

How To Play:
  • Use the armies of Helms Deep to defend the walls
  • Lead Gandalf through the White Mountains and bring the Rohirrum to the battle at sunrise
  • Lead Eowyn through the Glittering Caves and protect the women and children
  • Lead the Uruk-Hai to victory, besiege the walls of Helms Deep and kill the defenders
  • Prevent Gandalf from reaching the battlefield and bringing the Rohirrum at sunrise
Other:

30min long
Protected Map

8.5 Features:

Votekick System
New Models (MetaDeath)
Bug Fixes

Coming Soon:

Version 8.6 with more goodies

Description:
PHP:
[CENTER][table][CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B][SIZE="5"]Helms Deep Full[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[I]A Map by [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/chris-yamaha/#userresources"]Chris-Yamaha[/URL][/I]
[B]Contributors[/B] - MetaDeath //Khamul_2003 //Sw1mmerFL256 // Kinoss // Snatch1 // Blood.of.Zel

[B]About:[/B]

[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][B]Defend Helms Deep with the heroes of Middle Earth[/B][/COLOR] - Legolas, Haldir, Gimli, Aragorn, Theoden, Eowyn, and Gandalf
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][B]Attack Helms Deep with the forces of Isengard [/B][/COLOR]- Prevent Gandalf from bringing reinforcements

[B]How To Play:[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Use the armies of Helms Deep to defend the walls
[*]Lead Gandalf through the White Mountains and bring the Rohirrum to the battle at sunrise
[*]Lead Eowyn through the Glittering Caves and protect the women and children
[*]Lead the Uruk-Hai to victory, besiege the walls of Helms Deep and kill the defenders
[*]Prevent Gandalf from reaching the battlefield and bringing the Rohirrum at sunrise
[/LIST]
[B]Other:[/B]

[I]30min long[/I]
[I]Protected Map[/I]

[B]8.5 Features:[/B]

Votekick System
New Models (MetaDeath)
Bug Fixes

[B]Coming Soon:[/B]

Version 8.6 with more goodies[/CENTER][/table][/CENTER]

Last edited:
Done testing, review incoming

Review:

Gameplay:
Every player has a lot of troops with his own specific hero and everyone has a different objective, sort of, most of them just have to defend different parts of the castle, while a player has to control Gandalf and lead him through the enemy forces. The orcs are harder to control, since they have to control large masses of troops and also produce units while at it. They need to strategically move their units around and finally breach the castle's defenses and get to the king's chamber. The 'Call X uruk-hai warrior' reinforcements feature which automatically produces units and orders them to attack a chosen location is neat, making the offense for the enemy a bit easier.

The map also lacks some random events, like incoming crossbowmen reinforcements, etc.

Spells:
There are multiple heroes in the game, yet you obviously don't get to choose them, they just belong to a specific player and they do have different spells, but not custom ones, which does make the game a bit boring. Custom spells would give the map a better lotr feeling, for example you could keep the healing ability, but add more things to it, for example it increases the target's attack dps as well.

Terrain/Special Effects:
The castle layout is nice, the walls are very precise, yet the castle is missing more doodads. Maybe custom torches, abandoned shop stands, etc.
The map is huge, yes and that makes it hard to fill up the map and make it beautiful. The battlefield is empty and that does make sense, but maybe add some animated grass and lower the ground at some points, elevate it at other locations, ...
And the cliffs behind the castle don't look good at all, I would suggest using the elevate terrain tool to make huge cliffs and then adding units blockers. That would make it look better. Also the cliffs where Gandalf is, you can use those cliffs, but the ground is a bit too flat.
Also smoothen the water (screenshot below) with the smoothen terrain tool.

As for special effects, well spell-wise, they're the same effects, but blood effects would be neat, for when a unit is hit and when he dies.
->Blood effects

Sounds/Music:

There's custom lotr music and sounds, but I would suggest to remove the custom music to lower the map's filesize. Legolas' voice after the intro cinematic also doesn't fit, I'd suggest removing it.

Overall:
The map can be very enjoyable when played with friends and with a full house, it can get hectic and bloody and gandalf's/Eowyn's sides are also a bit different for a change. The map does last for 30 minutes which makes it pretty long and I would suggest lowering it, but overall it's an excellent map!
AI players for leavers would also be nice, but that would be really hard to code.
Rating: 3/5
Keep up the good work and I hope you'll continue updating the map!

Other suggestions:
  • Colorize the game messages
  • Start the intro cinematic right away (map init/elapsed time 0.00)
  • Reveal leaderboard when intro is over
  • Change Rohan Archer's icon, peasent doesn't fit
  • Change elven swordman's icon to for example human captain
  • Put the timer in the leaderboard/make a mulitboard
  • Add tips(shown on screen, not quest log)
  • Colorize the quests' text
  • Give gandalf more troops, too hard
  • Add a lever next to the gates, when clicked, it opens the gate (Use a unit as the lever base)
  • Improve the music transition/replay (smoothen)
  • Add an option to skip the intro
  • Improve the models' faces (see screenshot below), if possible
  • Pan camera to the player's troops after intro
  • Make the uruk-hai reinforcements also attack nearby enemy units, not go for the gate
  • Bind the spell hotkeys to QWER

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_072511_193834_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_072511_193834_01.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 456
  • WC3ScrnShot_072511_193841_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_072511_193841_02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,859
  • WC3ScrnShot_072511_193847_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_072511_193847_03.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,216
Last edited: