• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hello I am pyf

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hello,

I am pyf. I am from France.

It is the first time I register on a forum ; therefore I have to learn the ropes. So please be kind, admins.

I have modified my WC3 1.26a installation, so that parts of it are true widescreen (16/9). But strangely, the tricks I use seem not to be well known.

Therefore my goal is to share that knowledge with the Hive community. It is also an incentive for someone to ultimately create a program that can automate that process of creating a (mostly) 16/9 WC3.

I only use stuff that already exists. I cannot code, only tweak.

What already works :
- cursors
- 3D campaign screens
- animated 3D portraits
- ingame screen (yay !)

Regards,
pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hello A Void,

Cursors, 3D campaign screens and animated 3D portraits work with any WC3 version. They are simply tweaked Blizzard files that fit 16/9 resolutions pretty well. I will write a tutorial on how to do it.

Those 3 can also be tweaked to be 16/10 compatible.

Ingame screen uses the D3D8.dll v3 created by ZUKMAN in 2014. Therefore it cannot work for patch 1.27a (=> game now uses D3D9). Also, it is fit for 16/9 resolutions only.

You already know ZUKMAN's work, A Void
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2788223-post171.html

...but for some reason, your get strange results compared to mine

Hello A Void,

Cursors, 3D campaign screens and animated 3D portraits work with any WC3 version. They are simply tweaked Blizzard files that fit 16/9 resolutions pretty well. I will write a tutorial on how to do it.

Those 3 can also be tweaked to be 16/10 compatible.

Ingame screen uses the D3D8.dll v3 created by ZUKMAN in 2014. Therefore it cannot work for patch 1.27a (=> game now uses D3D9). Also, it is fit for 16/9 resolutions only.

You already know ZUKMAN's work, A Void
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2788223-post171.html

...but for some reason, your get strange results compared to mine

Yes, I know his work. His modification is not perfect and doesn't work for everybody. I was hoping you had a different modification.. :p

pyf

pyf

Level 32
it seems nobody had the idea to tweak cursors, 3D campaign screens nor animated 3D portraits files, to fit a 16/9 (or 16/10) aspect ratio.

This trick does *not* rely on ZUKMAN's dll to work, and is effective with any WC3 version.

As for ZUKMAN's dll, are you using the v3 available on rghost ?
http://rghost.net/60238536

Weird, I thought I already posted in this thread. I tried ZUKMAN's hack recently, it does the right aspect ratio, but the resolution is rather low, gold mine occupying almost the half of the visible area height.

The first version is actually the real widescreen (but it has various bugs), the third version (the one Pyf recommends and uses) is just aspect ratio stretch to replicate widescreen. Basically in third version the game is stretched backwards (rendered by .dll) so that the final stretch (rendered by game) is widescreen.

Use the third version and switch to 4:3 resolution and you'll see everything stretched backwards horizontally.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hello bear_369,

Thank you for your comment.
There are currently three tutorials in the tutorial submissions area. Feedback welcome.

A tutorial to make Java programs requiring OpenGL2 work on i915 graphics is still pending (nothing difficult, really). Target is oger-lord's interesting Polygon Enhancer_0.01

Just stumbled upon A Void's http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/cinematic-movies-tutorial-254860/. I had forgotten FMV are crashy when using some resolutions. Might have a look at it to see if workarounds can be found.

Remember, I cannot code, only tweak. But I will do my best to offer (hopefully) interesting contributions to the Hive.

Weird, I thought I already posted in this thread. I tried ZUKMAN's hack recently, it does the right aspect ratio, but the resolution is rather low, gold mine occupying almost the half of the visible area height.

Hello Mechanical Man,

Thanks for the report. Any additional info ? (pics, your specs, resolution tested...). Also, are you using v3 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Salut à vous, Chevalier de la mort!

Welcome to the Hive workshop :)

Bonjour Warseeker,

Thanks for your welcome.
I consider myself to just be a modest peon.

@fladdermasken

Hello fladdermasken,

Sorry for doubleposts and such. I am a newbie with forum netiquette. Still learning from others how to do things right, and manage stuff.

It looks this way, regardless of the resolution

WC3ScrnShot_032416_151918_01.jpg

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
It looks this way, regardless of the resolution

WC3ScrnShot_032416_151918_01.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Saved for reference. I assume you are using v3.

Any additional info you would like to share ?
- graphic card (ATI ? nVidia ? Intel ? S3 ? (no just kidding on that last one))
- any special software installed in the WC3 directory ?
- whatever else

Also, do you know of camera hacks ? Might ask you to try one if you agree.

I think I heard of camera hacks. But how they work? Since I'm afraid it may not work on certain custom maps and cinematics (especially my map hehe). Because when I was searching on wsgf for bfme2 widescreen mods, it was done only for specific maps (including campaign). Anything else, widescreen would stop working.

Nothing special about hardware and software, graphic card is ati 6850

I found some source code by ZUKMAN on github, although when I compiled it in visual studio, there was no changes, but I didn't delve in his code.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I think I heard of camera hacks. But how they work? Since I'm afraid it may not work on certain custom maps and cinematics (especially my map hehe). Because when I was searching on wsgf for bfme2 widescreen mods, it was done only for specific maps (including campaign). Anything else, widescreen would stop working.

Nothing special about hardware and software, graphic card is ati 6850

I found some source code by ZUKMAN on github, although when I compiled it in visual studio, there was no changes, but I didn't delve in his code.

(@admins please kindly read this post entirely ; TIA for your attention)

Thanks for the info on graphic card. Adding it to the feedback regarding 3rd tutorial (currently one person so far, including you ; I guess one has to start somewhere...).

I had already referenced ZUKMAN's code on GitHub in 3rd tutorial.

Now what a somewhat sad story when I put the pieces I know together. It seems nearly nobody cared when he asked for preliminary info when starting his project, nearly nobody cared when he started to develop it (cf English and Russian threads at the end of my third tutorial), and nearly nobody cared when he posted his source to GitHub (no forks, only 2 commits). Note that I use the word "nearly" 3 times in order to remain optimistic and careful ; maybe he had great help and support from sources unknown to me and I am plain wrong ?

Yet with patch 1.27a, some people where saddened about still having no proper widescreen support for WC3. Even though ZUKMAN had stepped forward in 2014 to do the job. This is the reaction of other people to patch 1.27a that decided me to join the Hive community : to show it can be done (at least up to a point), since I had already made my own silly little tweaks to partially complete ZUKMAN's initial work, using my own ways (that is, tweak to death until it works good enough for me).

I kinda believe only gamers and gamers alone want proper 16:9 support in WC3. But I may be wrong.

Should you delve into the code, I believe proper 16:9 animated 3D portraits can be done through the dll. In which case it would make my second tutorial nearly obsolete, which would be *absolutely great*. Now, if only ZUKMAN was still around somewhere...

About camera hacks : since it seems that the problem you are facing on ATI hardware may be a camera view not high enough, I can show you a working hack that moves the camera higher / lower at runtime during gameplay (not for cinematics, though ; but maybe I have a project for that, or at least an idea, or a future request for that matter). Said hack prints values for camera height on the screen. Correct initial value is 1650. I am interested in the initial camera value on your hardware when you start to play a map.

The (3rd party) camera hack works on 1.26a only, so it is fit for testing needs. It is compatible with the TFT campaign only and... any map maybe ?! It is made of only one single file that you copy in your WC3 folder and... that's it. WC3 will recognize the file and inject the data into memory, no file is modified. This behaviour is by design by Blizzard. It is build in within he game.

And now, a message @admins (will come back to you at end of post, but you or others can read below text, no problem)

Dear Sirs,

As you can see, I might be coming close to something considered improper by the Hive's rules. Yet I am only trying here to gather useful information, regarding issues with ZUKMAN's dll v3, hopefully with the help of a fellow member of the Hive.

Bird's eye view is cheating, and should never be used in multiplayer games, unless each player of said game agrees to use such bird's eye view during gameplay. Solo games are OK IMHO. I do not condone nor encourage the use of cheating, though I must confess having used IDCLIP when stuck in FPS buggy world geometry before. Boy am I relieved to have had the strength to publicly confess that. Now where was I ? Ah, yes.

I currently only inform a helpful Hive member about the existence of something build in by design by Blizzard (that is, the possibility to inject data to game memory, and therefore to modify how that game initially works after official patching). That possibility you might possibly not have been informed of.

It is my personal belief current investigations are of general interest.

Now, awaiting instructions (Ralle maybe, or anyone else in charge ?)
(and yes, I am that formal and wordy IRL, if deemed appropriate)

@Mechanical Man

hello again,
hey, wait, don't run away :)

As you might have read, waiting for an admin to step in (publicly or through PM). Hope you had as much pleasure reading it as I had writing it.

If admin does not want me to go further with you on that particular subject, I will not.

If I have a thumbs up to provide you information on that subject, please be responsible. Cheating (or should I say one-way cheating, since that is the true problem here) is like crossing the streams : it's evil. Plus, it spoils everything. Tried to play on LAN with a cheater a few times ; got me mildly saddened / puzzled / disgusted. Even if said cheater was a close friend of mine. What motivates them is beyond me.

Last edited:
Cheating this way I don't think it's an issue, as battle.net system would quickly find that game version doesn't correspond to the one allowed on battle.net, which would most probably result as a ban.

I'm not very good programmer, especially I about Direct3D, I never touched it, so that source code is not very helpful to me.

I think a moderator should move this thread elsewhere as this isn't really just an introduction anymore (and rename the thread).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You just wrote a huge wall of nonsense, congratulations. Anyway, is there any way to make ZUKMAN's hack work in 1.27? :)

I have previously read that page
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/rules-information-710/site-rules-245478/

... and I have also previously read that post, for which I gave my newcomer's point of view as an answer.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2795310-post6.html

I have been reading mildly deeply into the history of the Hive (I understand there has been a crisis here a few years ago). Still far from finished reading, the Hive is such a big community, of which many internal aspects elude me. I want to understand.

I acknowledge your opinion. No offence taken. Thanks for sharing that thought.Thanks also for having been honest about your opinion regarding my post.

As for ZUKMAN's code, I am unfortunately no coder, therefore I am unable to say yes or no. But hey, those are only lines of code, so I bet nothing is impossible, provided the D3D8 and D3D9 API are similar enough ? Again, I am no coder. Only one man can tell...

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Cheating this way I don't think it's an issue, as battle.net system would quickly find that game version doesn't correspond to the one allowed on battle.net, which would most probably result as a ban.

I'm not very good programmer, especially I about Direct3D, I never touched it, so that source code is not very helpful to me.

I think a moderator should move this thread elsewhere as this isn't really just an introduction anymore (and rename the thread).

It is my feeling some topics might simply not be discussed here on the Hive. Because the Hive has rules. There is no problem with the Hive rules, they are easy to understand (except for doubleposts - sorry again fladdermasken and Ralle, lesson learned). And I have no problem with rules in general, I simply do not know precisely where the frontier is concerning certain subjects here on the Hive.

If you are curious enough, you might discover I have already talked about Nirvana stuff (a *great* mod btw), and also about one important Blizzard file. Now I understand Blizzard is well aware of the Hive community. Blizzard might respect the Hive because they know its members are all respectable individuals. I am just trying to behave here. In French, we call it "marcher sur des oeufs" (litterally "walk on eggs", which means being overly cautious).

I am new to the Hive, and I am new to forums in general. Although I have been doing PC stuff since 1994. Never been a fan of so-called social networks. E-mail is enough for me. Call me old-fashioned, you would be totally right. :)

Only some public reaction to patch 1.27a's shortcomings made me decide to make one step forward and share a few little unimportant somethings with other people about WC3. I chose the Hive, and no other community.

And you know what ? Seeing it from the *inside* (after 17/18 years or so of surfing the web, and lurking without taking part in any public conversation on the web), I find it actually *interesting* and intellectually stimulating.

But enough of me (must write a proper bio someday)

Wow, you are light years ahead of me. You can compile code ; and I might infer you might know a bit about OpenGL ?. And most importantly, you want to try things ; I think this is important.

Moving stuff to proper threads will certainly happen someday. For now, this place is a bit of everything, but people might have here a better understanding of who I am without surfing tons of different pages all over the Hive (still visiting, trying to help where I know I can).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thanks RED BARON

I horribly suck at programming anything. Even batch files.:grin:
(though I made a StarCraft AI just for fun - never released it - requires BWAI Launcher).

This is why I rely on tweaks, tricks and wits. Which sometimes produce surprisingly interesting results.

But maybe someday I will try to do something with JASS, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.