• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hellion Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing around with the Hellion attack and was wondering about a few things.

1. I've applied it to the Thor, and I'm trying to make flames come from each of his "hands". How can I do this?

2. How can I make the flame shoot forward even when the unit is off to the side or underneath the attacker?

3. Also, something I've noticed that happens on occasion with different effects and such is that the unit will play its attack animation when he's within a certain range. However, no visual effect shows and no damage is inflicted unless the attacking unit is within a closer range. How can I get around this?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. I've applied it to the Thor, and I'm trying to make flames come from each of his "hands". How can I do this?
Attachment effects, with 2 attacks. Look at how the mothership does it and try creating your own attachment effect or using the thors one. Basically the attachment effect (sorry if name is wrong) is a unique type of data which specifies patterns of fire from attachment points. You can do crazy stuff with them like having attacks spawning from the closest attachment point to an enemy.

2. How can I make the flame shoot forward even when the unit is off to the side or underneath the attacker?
Make sure there are no turrets for the attack and reduce the arc for the weapon to 0. This will mean the unit will have to face the target to attack and can not attack from a distance. Additionally to compinsate for the huge frame of the thor, you will need a complex attack pattern like the colossus has where it attacks offset from the actual target so as to not make the flames bend in. The offset from the target should be half the width of the thor each side just so the flames are parrallel.

Attachment effects, with 2 attacks. Look at how the mothership does it and try creating your own attachment effect or using the thors one. Basically the attachment effect (sorry if name is wrong) is a unique type of data which specifies patterns of fire from attachment points. You can do crazy stuff with them like having attacks spawning from the closest attachment point to an enemy.

You sure know your stuff about the Editor. :p

I'm aware of the Attachment Query thing and, yes, it certainly does do a lot... The problem is I have no idea how to tell which Attachment setting is which because they're very bland names like "WeaponSetA0".

Make sure there are no turrets for the attack and reduce the arc for the weapon to 0. This will mean the unit will have to face the target to attack and can not attack from a distance. Additionally to compinsate for the huge frame of the thor, you will need a complex attack pattern like the colossus has where it attacks offset from the actual target so as to not make the flames bend in. The offset from the target should be half the width of the thor each side just so the flames are parrallel.

Alright. That makes sense. Where can I set the offset and how do I know the width of the Thor?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You use trial and error to get the width of the thor. Basically when they are parallel enough for you.

You use simple displacememnt effects, like the colossus uses for its lasers but you only need 1 displacememnt point not a perodic displacement.
You will probably need an effect series for each weapon or something so as to make sure it functions correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.