• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Height,baby and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
here how it goes...if a tall guy married to a short lady and have a baby,will the child height follows its dads or its mom?or the child heights will be 50 dad,50 mom???....in my case..big,tall rooster mate's a small hen(not bantam),whts the size n height of the baby chicks when they grow up..lol..i have backyard chicken...

Level 14
I think the height of the offspring would likely be somewhere close the parents's average height.

will the child height follows its dads or its mom?

It doesn't work that way. It doesn't matter which one the genes are coming from, what matters is, what the genes are and what happens when the alleles combine.

Level 27
That is exactly and precisely what matters. :I

This problem was solved quite awhile ago by a botanist named Gregor Mendel.

The answer is that some traits are dominant, some are recessive, some come from many genes, some come only from the Y chromosome, some mix, and just in general genetics is really complicated.

Level 15
Hmm I am familiar with these XD
Well , The height probably follows the gender before everything . Second , For example the dad has 180 cm , and the mum has one of heights of grand ma cm . I expect that the child will have 180 at last if he is male, and 160 if he is female . but children of the new baby will have grand pas' random height from them ( if male ) and 160 cm (if female) .
They are all the damned DNA

Level 14
The answer is that some traits are dominant, some are recessive, some come from many genes, some come only from the Y chromosome, some mix, and just in general genetics is really complicated.

Yes, that's what I meant with "what happens when the alleles combine", which means, what kind of a mix of recessive and dominant alleles will come to be.

That is exactly and precisely what matters. :I

I don't understand. What kind of a process decides that "oh, this gene comes from the mother, so let's treat it differently", etc?

Level 14
I can tell you I'm the tallest one in my family, and almost a head higher than both my parents. So the parents height probably plays a role, but there are so many other factors playing a role in it.

I am also taller than either my parents. That just tells you how the nutrition and health have improved since the time my parent's were young.

Level 4
Nuke n Hakeem pose some good reply,very interesting...all of my family member is 176,but I'm the only one 190 ...wtf..does the food that we consume when we're kid matters too?...I play basketball alot when I was a kid..

Level 27
I don't understand.
On the contrary, I didn't understand.
What kind of a process decides that "oh, this gene comes from the mother, so let's treat it differently", etc?
There is no such process, I was referring to that, depending on which parent it came from, it would be one gene, or else it would be the other gene from the other parent. Which genes you end up with is what matters, and the determining factor is which parent that particular gene came from, but it doesn't matter beyond being the one or the other gene.

The moral of the story is that even omnipotent beings can misunderstand what someone was saying. <.<

Yes, nutrition matters, but basketball players are usually ridiculously tall for some reason.

Basketball makes a large portion of your body 'work' a lot, generally making blood and air circulation better and therefore making NUTRITION and health better too (because that's what blood is really doing; feeding your body's cells so they don't die). Being healthy means that you're less likely to have issues with the thyroid gland. There's also the thing that there's naturally more tall basketball players because that's a favorable trait in the sport, hence why there's less tall soccer players even if they might require more stamina and greater health than basketball players, as height is irrelevant (compared to how important it is in basketball). Now, let's wonder how come it's fast people who play soccer? Must be magic.

Level 27
You know when it comes down to it, DNA is just a chemical program designed to churn amino acids into proteins. When you consider that a LOT of the genes of a macroscopic organism are tuned to only trigger in specific situations (eg., gills on embryos), meaning, when the environment the DNA finds itself in is the right chemical cocktail, then it only makes sense to understand that the chemicals (food) you put in your body are going to play a role in gene expression.

Level 15
Basketball players don't become tall, but instead tall people become basketball players.
Totally wrong , It's all about the practice and making Cartilage turning into parts of bones , thus body will drug more cartilage . U'know , Bones elongation . Because of practice . And Also , DNA has no relationship with bones , maybe a little bit . But not probably elongation

Level 14
Totally wrong , It's all about the practice and making Cartilage turning into parts of bones , thus body will drug more cartilage . U'know , Bones elongation . Because of practice . And Also , DNA has no relationship with bones , maybe a little bit . But not probably elongation

That's just bullshit. Genes play a major role in determining one's height. Short parents don't get a tall kid by making the kid play sports or anything like that. Sure, environment matters a bit too, as always, but genes determine what we grow up to be like, and there's not much you can do to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.