• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Harvest (lumber and gold) effect

Level 3
Hello,

i need to help with settings on abillity, or unit, or script?
Goal is using ray effect (drain life or so) instead of pickaxe swing when unit harvest destructables. (Harvesting asteroids with starship with decent distance)
I am pretty sure that i can achieve this without scripting just with basic settings, but i dont know how.

Thank you for respose

W.

Level 3
I believe the only abilities with lightning effects are those that already have it by default. You probably need to do what that guy in your avatar is doing. Beginner's Guide to Lightning Effects

Depending on how you have setup your harvest ability the trigger will be different. What is the base ability for harvesting asteroids?

Asteroids are simple destructable barrels, so abillity i am using is Human - Harvest (lumber and gold) - or something like that, i have editor in my native language. In fact asteroids are trees / lumber.

Thank you for guide link, i'll definitely check that.

Level 20
I dont know the exact behaviour of a couple of things and will not test it so probably wont be able to post any suggestions but Ill at least ask a couple of questions for clarification purposes.
Can the asteroid run out of resources as would normally happen to a tree and die?
If in that occurrence is it possible for the worker unit to automatically move on and start harvesting another asteroid?

Level 3
In this moment i dont know what should Asteroid to be, i wanted just change model of tree to asteroid one, but strange bug makes trees unusable: trees got invisible not working at all. I think it is somehow caused by native tree models set, what cannot be simply replaced by single model.

Yeah, a few things to figure out.

What is the best type of future object of Asteroid to harvest.
Considering auto-harvest.

I can maybe make whole thing: unit attack object and get ressource bypassing vannila harvesting system.

Like i see it right now, lightning or ray harvesting is not so important at all, things becomes a bit complicated so i am think i just get well without fancy effects, but good functionality.

I think i can set up some basic triggers for auto search nearest unit/ object to harvest / attack (without ressource return), not tryied yet, i need in first figure out the basics with harvesting itself.

-------
Most easy way could be get asteroid models working on trees.

EDIT

i set - contain lightweight model to FALSE and now i see them in game GREAT :) :) :)
so i can have vannila harvest system using trees. :3333

Last edited:
Level 20
Right. Then youd like a way to display a lightning effect between a harvesting unit and the resource for units harvesting asteroids using the vanilla harvest system. The biggest issue I imagine is when a unit auto harvests a new destructible. I dont know if there is an event that can detect that. At least we know what it is you want. To not confuse anyone else watching I havnt even tried to make a trigger for this or checked it at all.

Level 12
The best way to achieve would be a model with animations changed to fit the needs of your map.

This SCV Final for example. If you view the model in 3D you can see it has lumber and gold animations. Also has lightning coming from its robotic arms when it attacks e.g when it gathers also. It also has "Stand Work" animation tag which is very good.

Depending on what version you are using and what graphics SD or HD, im sure someone can do a small adjustment to an existing model. Or maybe you find an already existing one on the forums. If there is no luck with then you have to trigger it, but getting harvest order and stuff is total pain.