• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Halls of the Dead

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

Description:
A 1v1 melee map.
3 expansions, 1 being obscure and difficult to hold.
Strong central creeps but weak border creeps, and overall above average drops.
There is a small amount of space to build but substantial enough to not be a bother until late game and if you have not expanded before then you are dead anyway.
The map has many open spaces but at the same time has a few choke points, this makes players have to micro the situation to have the choke work with them rather then against them.

Credits:
I tried to use a similar terrain style as oGre_, @XGM forum, if you like my map then check out some of his work. Still I couldn't get my waterfalls as fluid as his...

I only tested this map with a computer, haven't tested it with players as of yet; had to test the pathing a lot and was a pain in the ass . . . things kept going through rock doodads...

Untit2led-1.png

Untitl4ed.png

Untitle1d.png

v.3
Adjusted Spacings.
v.2
Smoothed terrain over to make look hilly not spiky.
v.1
forgot to add 2 player on upload now there is 2 haha.

Leave feedback and criticism please.

Keywords:
Halls, of, the, dead, melee, template, terrain
Contents

Halls of the Dead (Map)

Reviews
12:33, 25th Feb 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected Terrain look ok, but pathing ground ruin whole map. You must fix pathing ground and place trees next to each other to remove space between them.

M

12:33, 25th Feb 2011
-Kobas-:
Terrain look ok, but pathing ground ruin whole map.
You must fix pathing ground and place trees next to each other to remove space between them.

Level 14
Good to see you did some terrain yourself this time :p
Just try and smooth out the ground a bit more, it's a tad too spiky rather than hilly or bumpy.
If I were you though, I'd try and stick with standard cliffs because they make it much easier for gameplay purposes. Just try and find a way to make them look good. Other than that I hope you keep this up, it's good experience.

Level 9
Starcraft 2 Scrap Station ftw :p
Terrain looks good, you seem to like using rock chunks too much
I wouldn't say having a map like this would be very good as much of the game will depend on Flyers
also I seen in the object editor you did some changes in the Golems but I don't really see them at any part of the map
Dragons in the mid really seem to powerful to kill -.-
It's good but I still won't say it's good for Wc3 Melee game cause of the extremely close spawn locations.
3/5

Level 10
Just try and smooth out the ground a bit more, it's a tad too spiky rather than hilly or bumpy.
Done ;)

If I were you though, I'd try and stick with standard cliffs because they make it much easier for gameplay purposes. Just try and find a way to make them look good. Other than that I hope you keep this up, it's good experience.
Thats a though but if I stay standard how will I improve ^^?

Starcraft 2 Scrap Station ftw :p
yeah kinda looks like it just missing a few expos along the sides and one up top, but wasn't thinking about that when making it haha.

It's good but I still won't say it's good for Wc3 Melee game cause of the extremely close spawn locations.
by ground its actually a great distance...but yeah wasn't thinking about air travel, a mental lapse there xD.

Tiles look horrible :)
Also can you please make some room near mines so players can actually build base there ^^

And just like Azurot said, is nice to see your work :)
You have a lot to learn, beautiful withing oGre_ terrains are angles and rotated doodads, that placed together form awesome shapes...
Try not to spam with doodads so much :)