• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gul'dans Garden (AM)

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
GULDAN'S GARDEN

-Guldan's Garden-

Explore the gardens where Gul'dan wished to spend his last days as an elderly.

Explore the gardens where Gul'dan wished to spend his last days as an elderly.

When Gul'dan rose the tomb of Sargeras from beneath the seas, he also rose a private island. He ordered three of his orcish clans to build a temple there, to sit in selfishly when he would've claimed the powers of the eye of Sargeras. Sadly he died, and this temple still lays undiscovered.

Information

Screenshots

Changes to regular melee

Changelog

Known Issues

Credits

Guldan's Garden is a 2FA map created by Augustus_Magnus. You can also play it as 4v4 if you wish.

Buildings on this map are:
  • - Eight Goblin Shops
  • - Eight Goblin Shipyards
  • - Four Way Gates
  • - Four Fountains Of Mana
  • - Four Market Places
  • - Four Goblin Laboratories
  • - Four Mercenary Camps
  • - Four Taverns
  • - Eight main Goldmines, each having 10.000 gold
  • - Eight small Goldmines, each having 5.000 gold
  • - Eight big Goldmines, each having 12.500 gold
  • - One Green Dragon Roost

Creep camps on this map are:
  • - Four red creep camps guarding the main Gold Mines
  • - Twelve green creep camps
  • - Sixteen orange creep camps with average difficulty
  • - Twenty red creep camps

2018-08-07_9.png

2018-08-07_8.png

2018-08-07_7.png

2018-08-07_6.png

2018-08-07_3.png

2018-08-07_26.png

2018-08-07_25.png

2018-08-07_23.png

2018-08-07_22.png

2018-08-07_21.png

2018-08-07_20.png

2018-08-07_2.png

2018-08-07_19.png

2018-08-07_17.png

2018-08-07_15.png

2018-08-07_14.png

s!AgHkqpRo_ck-gk6oX6n0Eq0753CN

s!AgHkqpRo_ck-gkt-OjYlO7QJroA_

s!AgHkqpRo_ck-gkoyR75w80duUDSj

s!AgHkqpRo_ck-gkn3_HFbVocj3l9O

s!AgHkqpRo_ck-gkiUnGuPCKmo6xBQ

0001.png

0002.png

0003.png

This map is posted by the altered melee maps because:
1. Towers have an ability which stops them stealing experience, but also stops them attacking
2. There's a command to destroy the four gates, which block very useful creep camps. This is not a problem whilst fighting players, but computers will be unable to reach these creep camps. They will have a huge disadvantage. Simply type "-AI" into chat, and the gates break.
3. The Mercenary Camp sells random creeps.
4. The Dragon Roost sells random creeps.
5. All heroes can level up to level 20. (The AI is triggered to pick abilities too.)
6. Undead and Night Elf AI are triggered to work properly.
7. Some abilities get multiple effects once past level 3:
  • Holy Light: Level 4, 5 and 6 Holy Light create a Light Shield around the target unit additional to the heal. Light Shield heals nearby living units and damages nearby undead units.
  • Phoenix: Level 2 Phoenix has the ability to split.
  • Scout: Level 4 scout gives an additional ability to the Priestess of the Moon; Multishot. Multishot allows the Priestess of the Moon to hit not one, but three units in one attack.
  • Tranquillity: Level 2 Tranquillity regrows dead trees.
  • Metamorphosis: Level 2 Metamorphosis has the ability Dark Portal, which spawns random Demon units.
  • Earthquake: During the cast time of Earth Quake level 2 the target area is flamestriked twice.
  • Inferno: Level 2 Inferno is replaced by Rain of Chaos.
  • Dark Ritual: Whenever a unit is sacrificed due to the effect of Dark Ritual level 4, 5 or 6, some of the life energy of the sacrificed unit escapes, dealing damage to nearby enemy units.
  • Death Pact: Whenever a unit is sacrificed due to the effect of Dark Ritual level 4, 5 or 6, some of the life energy of the sacrificed unit spreads Blight around the target unit.
8. There're three new heroes you can hire from the tavern.
  • The Ancient Druid is a mystical hero, exceptional at tanking dealing damage with his spells. He can learn Entangling Roots, Regeneration Aura, Ancient Blast (a spell that does lots of damage in a target area) and Call of the Guardians (the hero disappears for a while and leaves you to play with the three guardians, very strong demi-heroes). His primary attribute is intelligence.
  • The Bandit Lord is a warrior hero, exceptional at defence and dealing AoE damage. He can learn Shockwave, Divine Shield, Command Aura and Avatar. His primary attribute is strength.
  • The Eredar Warlord is a mystical hero, adept at reducing the power of his enemies and feeding his own. He can learn Finger of Death, Chaos (a damage over time dealing spell that also gives 25% chance on an attribute bonus), Cripple and Inferno. His primary attribute is intelligence.
  • The Banshee Queen is a mystical hero, adept at deceiving her enemies. She can learn Body Burglary (Life Steal), Soul Collusion (Flat Damage), Summon Ghosts (summons three ghosts) and Possession (This possesses an enemy hero, turning him into one of your own at the cost of the Banshee Queen. Upon death of the possessed hero the Banshee Queen becomes revivable again).

-V1.00: Created a 4v4 altered melee map.
-V1.01: Changed the hotkeys for heroes to default; moved two pillars to the correct position; moved the turtles out of the water; made the shipyards more interesting by adding frigates and juggernaugts.
-V2.00: Replaced all trees and doodads to make the map more balanced; moved the crab creep camp into the trees; added some in-game screenshots
-V3.00: Replaced all trees and altered the shorelines to give the map a more natural feeling; Added "random level 10" unit to the dragon roost; created three new heroes you can hire from the tavern.
-V3.02: This is a test I used to test the map and reconsider some decisions I made.
-V4.00: Heroes level up to level 20; the Banshee Queen was added as a playable hero; Night Elf and Undead AI were fixed; Chaos was nerfed from 75% to 25%; The guardians summoned by Call of The Guardians are now level 10; some inconsistent triggering was changed.

-There are leaks in this map that I haven't been able to catch. However, I've hosted this map online and no one desynced or had lag issues. I recommend resetting your warcraft 3 to prevent the leaks being carried ver to your next game.
-The Banshee Queen casting her level 6 ability can cause your hero order to shift. In this case your second hero will get the f1 hotkey and your third f2.
-Heroes can pick level 4 versions of their ability before they hit level 20. I'd like to change this for balance reasons but have no idea how to start.

Some help in the comment section is always welcome.

-WTii: For a "how to upload a map" tutorial.
-Rufus: For another "how to upload a map" tutorial.
-Blizzard: For this epic game
-Diegot: For helping me with the tower ability
-StoPCampinGn00b: For trying to test this with me
-Knecht: For useful feedback
-Ujimasa Hojo: For model files
-twojstaryjakcie: For usefull feedback
-Crabby_Spider: For the Bone Armor icon
-The Panda: For the Soul collision icon
-Volvox: For the Soulfire icon
-Darkfang: For the Dominate Death icon
-Shyster: For the Sacred Shield icon
-Mythic: For the Soul Beam ability
-Caedrus: For the Manyshot ability

Any feedback is always welcome.

Thanks for reading and enjoy,
Augustus_Magnus
Contents

Gul'dans Garden V4.00 (AM) (Map)

Reviews
Knecht
Nice changes, the ships really are much more attractive now. Bombarding the enemy base sure is fun :cgrin: I had a closer look at the map in the editor as my previous post wasn't really much of a review (and I don't consider myself a map reviewer...
twojstaryjakcie
Very unusual map. While I love overall visual style and design of the map, I'm quite worried about how few trees there are near expansions. I suppose you could put a bit more trees in the outer expansions, though I'm guessing that trees in the temple...
eubz
1. I dont think those shipyards are needed in this map this is also true to the waygates. I mean, what is the point of putting it there when the enemy can be reached by land? 2. Lined up trees are evident. They are just soooo unnatural. 3. Why are...
Shar Dundred
No changes after 3 months. Moved to Substandard.
Level 22
It's always kinda weird to see goblin labs and shipyards on the same map. Together with the portals, the player gets a whole transport buffet. This might render some of the transport units obsolete.
The green creep camp at the shipyards is quite clunky as it's impossible to aggro it from land. I suggest putting the turtles on land right at the shipyard as they cannot be targeted by melee units in water (also the item just vanishes when they're not killed on land).
But I really like the terrain in the ruins (just a little thing - the obelisks near the bottom right expos might need a fix).

Level 22
Nice changes, the ships really are much more attractive now. Bombarding the enemy base sure is fun :cgrin: I had a closer look at the map in the editor as my previous post wasn't really much of a review (and I don't consider myself a map reviewer, there's other who do that, I'm just a fellow map creator).

Here's a list you might consider to change:
- tree pathing - when you press P in editor, you'll see empty spaces between trees and those shouldn't be there
- adding trees near the gob labs/merc camps - I get that a lot when posting a map on hive, NE players benefit from them as they can put a wisp there
- the crab creep camps have some weird placement, they aggro easily, it might be better if you put them into the trees
- some people dislike items being put on low level creeps (such as the lvl2 turtle near the gold mines) as it can be misused by BMs
- there's a missing texture tile next to the shipyard in the upper left corner, happens with slopes, easily removed by remaking the slope

I know, it's quite a tedious job to fix all these little things, but they make the map better. And you learn this way not to make the same mistakes in the future so your next map can be even better.

...I should really stop procrastinating :cneut:

Level 8
Very unusual map. While I love overall visual style and design of the map, I'm quite worried about how few trees there are near expansions. I suppose you could put a bit more trees in the outer expansions, though I'm guessing that trees in the temple itself would be a bit unfitting.

The "-AI" trigger and random creeps in Mercenary Camp are a nice touch that definitely can make the game at least a bit more interesting.

I'm still not sure whether there's any point to using Shipyards. Even if they were selling a Juggernaught for free, there wouldn't be much point to it as the only thing they can kill is the red camp in the middle. I honestly think it'd be better to ditch the whole ship idea and just change that narrow channel to be an alternate shallow water route to the middle of the map. However, that's just my opinion, some may argue that the ships might be actually good at harassing expos and I'd have to agree, so it's all dependent on your own judgement.

Some creeps drop too many or too powerful items - it's generally believed that it's best to limit the drop to one non-powerup item per camp and use level 6+ items only for incredibly tough camps; for example, a level 7 turtle at an expansion drops a level 7 item + two other creeps at that camp drop level 2 books. This is pretty huge for just a level 22 camp. I guess that could be fine on an eight-player map, though there are other camps that are not as incredibly rewarding as the one I've mentioned.

All in all, the map is still enjoyable at its current stage, though I'm sure that fixing at least some of the issues mentioned by @Knecht and me would increase its gameplay value greatly.

Last edited:
Level 8
I'm sorry that the re-review took so long. Anyway, here it is.

I didn't notice it earlier, but the southern and eastern shipyards spawn the ships on the wrong side of the building, rendering them useless as they're unable to get to the other side. I really urge you to widen the channel entrance so that the ships aren't accidentally blocked and become dead weight for no good reason.
upload_2018-12-19_11-59-7.png upload_2018-12-19_11-59-16.png

The ramps leading to Hydras have a straight shore. You could use some height variation in order to make it look more natural (there's an example of how it could be done in the picture below, though I'm sure you could do a much better job at it than I did). Same thing with the ramp leading down to the Shipyard.
upload_2018-12-19_12-12-21.png

I hate to break it to you since I reckon you took some time rearranging the treeline, but the way the trees are aligned currently allows Wisps to be completely safe from melee damage if they "hide between the cracks" (picture explanation below). This might drastically reduce the amount of harass that could be done against Night Elves early on. I also added two pics of how trees usually should and shouldn't be aligned. The correct one doesn't protect the Wisps from melee attacks.
upload_2018-12-19_12-31-46.png upload_2018-12-19_12-35-14.png upload_2018-12-19_12-35-26.png

I have certain issues with the expansions near the Hydras, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion rather than an actual technical problem. I feel like these expansions offer very little when compared to the double Turtle expansions on the map's borders - they have no trees, they have little buildable terrain, have higher level creeps (combined level of Turtles is 22, while the Makrura camp has level 24) and require both creep camps to be cleared in order for you to take an expansion which means you need to kill 48 levels worth of creeps before even building starting your expo. The creeps do offer huge rewards, though. This isn't the map's greatest issue, but I think you could dwell on some of the problems with these expansions.

You still haven't addressed the issue of the items being too rewarding, however, seeing as this is, in fact, Altered Melee, I suppose this problem can be put aside.

All in all, the map is very fun to play, but it needs some polishing which might, unfortunately, require some hard work (mainly due to the faulty treeline).

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-19_12-12-29.png
    upload_2018-12-19_12-12-29.png
    990.7 KB · Views: 154
  • upload_2018-12-19_12-31-33.png
    upload_2018-12-19_12-31-33.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 153
Level 6
Thanks for the review. I think the update might not come soon since i've quit warcraft 3 mapmaking. I might come back to it when Reforged is launched and use the upgraded editor.

Never mind I came back anyway :p . Nothing is more relaxing than a good day of mapmaking. Please let me know what you think of the new heroes and enjoy!

Last edited:

SHORT REVIEW

1. Please, look closely with your pathing as there might be some units that could be trapped in some occasion during a game.
2. Look also at the placement of doodads and trees. Don't put them too much random. Place them aesthetically and wisely. Learn from the best melee and altered melee maps and from our tutorials.
3. Your triggers have too much memory leaks. Please, do somethimg about it by looking at our vast mapping tutorials.
4. This map has huge potentials. Keep working on this.

Level 6

SHORT REVIEW

1. Please, look closely with your pathing as there might be some units that could be trapped in some occasion during a game.
2. Look also at the placement of doodads and trees. Don't put them too much random. Place them aesthetically and wisely. Learn from the best melee and altered melee maps and from our tutorials.
3. Your triggers have too much memory leaks. Please, do somethimg about it by looking at our vast mapping tutorials.
4. This map has huge potentials. Keep working on this.
I took a look at the tutorials and then back at the version of the map uploaded here and I'm not entirely with you on the memory leaks. I suppose they happen with the triggering of the random units you can hire? I'm also aware that some abilities are coded rather inefficiently and will fix this in future versions. Thank you for taking a look at my map!

1. I dont think those shipyards are needed in this map this is also true to the waygates. I mean, what is the point of putting it there when the enemy can be reached by land?

2. Lined up trees are evident. They are just soooo unnatural.

3. Why are the start locations positioned too near to each other by twos? Are they going to be allied at the start of the game? I guess not.

4. Expansion goldmines are too many and has the same gold amount as the starting goldmines.

5. Some triggers leak locations.

Level 6
1. I dont think those shipyards are needed in this map this is also true to the waygates. I mean, what is the point of putting it there when the enemy can be reached by land?

2. Lined up trees are evident. They are just soooo unnatural.

3. Why are the start locations positioned too near to each other by twos? Are they going to be allied at the start of the game? I guess not.

4. Expansion goldmines are too many and has the same gold amount as the starting goldmines.

5. Some triggers leak locations.
I added the shipyards because I like the idea that you can land units behind the expansions in the temple. They are also needed to access the middle. The waygates have the sole purpose to make the distance between the bases less long. An army coming from the bottom right corner can access the base of the top left corner easier by using the waygates. If anything, I'd consider removing the Goblin Laboratories.
I don't understand the problem with the trees. I replaced them all three times now. There're no gaps anymore, wisps can all be reached by Blademasters and they look natural to me.
The point of the map is to play together with your close teammate. I've taken this idea from the Blizzard map Friends (one of my favourites). This map can't be played as a free for all, only as a two for all or a 4v4.
I agree with you on the gold mines. This issue has been brought up before, but I forgot about it. I'll fix this in a future update.
I've followed a couple of tutorials and tested some things with a little TD I made just for fun and understand leaks better now. I'll try to find them all.

Thank you for your review!

Level 6
Any update? It's been over 3 months.
I've been quite busy lately with school and so on. When I find some free time I will continue to work on this, though I've recently started writing a novel and spend a lot of time on that. There will be an update, I just can't say when. Meanwhile, I don't think this is unplayable. My laptop can handle this with a stable framerate of 60 fps and there aren't any game-breaking issues that I know of. I would advise resetting Warcraft III after a game, though. I will say that when I release the next update, I'll also look into the abilities again. Here and there the balance is a little off, I've noticed.

-EDIT-
I did some more testing today and found that sometimes this game can become unplayable (fps drops to 2.6).

Last edited: