• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Guide: Changing campaigns

Level 4
Intro:

Here I will tell you how to make WC Reforged use your maps instead of the vanilla ones when you click the mission button in the menu of the game and how to keep the hero progress through multiple maps.

11P5XG6.jpg

Chapter I - Getting Ready.

The first step you need to do - is to enable the local files for Warcraft 3.
To do this - download, extract and run the .reg file in the archive attached to this post.

After doing this - the game will be able to be modded with any files which you can put into the _retail_ folder of the game. Vanilla folder looks like this:

2.png

2. Now, to get the standart campaign maps, we must download and launch CascView - it's a software created to open encrypted Warcraft's data files.

Run the CascView.exe -> click Open storage and choose your Warcraft 3 game folder like this.

3.png

Then expand the war3.w3mod section and export the campaign folder to your desktop.

45.png

It contains the vanilla campaign maps which can be edited in any way.

3. Now extract the campaigninforeforged.txt with ui folder

55.png

Changing the txt file will allow us to make WC use our campaign maps instead of vanilla ones.

Close the CascView.

4. Now put extracted campaign and ui folders (along withe the files inside it) into the _retail_ folder to make it look like this. Rename the campaign folder into campaigns.

24.png

Chapter 2 - Making it work.

Now for example you want to change the prologue campaign to be more reforged, add new cutscenes, quests etc.

Open the extracted prologue map and edit it using WC Editor, then save it.

1.png

2. Now, how to make a standart campaign button in the menu of the game use your edited map instead of the standart one?

Go into UI folder and open campaignreforged.txt file.
The unchanged file wil look like this.

image.png

It has campaign folder in it's path and makes the game load vanilla campaign maps.
You only have to add the s ending letter to make it look like this

7.png

Each line is responsible for different menu buttons which start campaign missions.

Now you made the game use your maps instead of the maps it has within its encrypted archive.

For example I edited the Prologue03.w3x file - it's the name for Riders on the Storm mission. I changed the map's tileset and added a custom model to Sen'jin. When I start a mission from the main menu - I play my edited map.

14.png

But that's not all.

Chapter 3 - Keeping progress.

And now the last part - I will tell you how to keep the progress of your heroes through your edited campaign. Without doing this - The abilities and items of your heroes will be reset to default in every mission.

1. Now, while editing your map - you have to change the name of the cache your map is using. To do this - go to the trigger editor and find a section (or two) responsible for creating and loading cache. Usually it's Level Data or Load Heroes etc.

image.png

Then change the name of the cache from Campaign to Campaigns or any name you want to use for your campaign cache. I prefer Campaigns. You have to do this in each map. The name of the chache must be the same.

Always check if the map has two cache sections - one for loading cache and one for creating it.
Always give them the same name.

146.png

2. Now we have to make the game load our custom maps instead of vanilla ones after completing the mission.
To do this - go to the trigger editor and find the Next Level Run line. Change the map path to campaigns folder instead of campaign so it loads our extracted and edited map.

It should look like this in the end.

image.png

And that is it.
Now you can create your own custom campaigns and play them trough the main menu of the game and even keep the hero progress and inventory from one mission to another. Just change the paths and the map names in the campaignreforged.txt file to the paths\names of your maps.

Chapter 4 - Changing names

If you want to use this method for playing custom campaigns and use your map files, then you can change the mission names in the campaign menu.

To do this you have to run the CascView and export the globalstrings.fdf file located in war3.w3mod:_locales\enus.w3mod:ui\framedef folder.

1.png

Export it along with the folders it is located at and put them in _retail_ folder as you did before.

2.png

Then scroll down until you find the Campaign names and Mission names the game uses in its campaign menu. Here you can rename standart campaigns and missions.

3.png

The Rusult will look like this depending on your actions.

4.png

Same goes with the missions.

1.png

Althogh I think we are limited to the standart number of missions. At least I don't know how to add more buttons to the mission lists.

Fin.

Attachments

• AllowLocalFiles.rar
    215 bytes · Views: 445
Last edited:
Level 4
Would custom resources (models, skins, icons etc.) work for each chapter/map with this method?
You have to upload your custom resources into each map separately. Unfortunately there is no unified custom resources or unit storage like it was in the classsic game.

Level 11
interestingly enough this method also works on versions before reforged but in order to load your edited mission from the last mission with your items and level you will need to edit the cache and the map path quite a tedious thing to do if you want to change just a tiny bit of a campaign map it will require you to re-write the entire campaign mission by mission

Level 2
Hello, I've done everything (or so I think) as you instructed. I tried editing the campaign of people with 1 mission for testing purposes. The newly added elements are there, so the game is loading maps from the retail file. However, every time I launch mission 2, it lands with the default Arthas at level 2 - I believe the game isn't properly locating the cache files.

I changed everything to "campaigns," but there's still no result. Moreover, when I changed the name everywhere to, for example, XYZ, the cache file in My Documents still got created with the name campaigns.w3v.

Furthermore, when I exported the game files, by default, in the filename to create level_data -> next_level_prep, the name was "campaings" instead of "campaign" as shown in your screenshot.

What am I doing wrong? :D

Level 11
Hello, I've done everything (or so I think) as you instructed. I tried editing the campaign of people with 1 mission for testing purposes. The newly added elements are there, so the game is loading maps from the retail file. However, every time I launch mission 2, it lands with the default Arthas at level 2 - I believe the game isn't properly locating the cache files.

I changed everything to "campaigns," but there's still no result. Moreover, when I changed the name everywhere to, for example, XYZ, the cache file in My Documents still got created with the name campaigns.w3v.

Furthermore, when I exported the game files, by default, in the filename to create level_data -> next_level_prep, the name was "campaings" instead of "campaign" as shown in your screenshot.

What am I doing wrong? :D
have you tried checking both the mission 1 and 2? and you know both missions need the same cache

Level 11
1701188382397.png
1701188392799.png

im not all sure what is causing your problem it might be that you didnt put the map files in the right folder just in case check everything including the folder where the map is as seen here it loads fine for me , then i guess reforged is doing its thing again that is messing around with the triggers and maybe even breaking them

Level 1
Hello.
Do I understand correctly that even if I want to edit just a single campaign map, I still need to edit cashe triggers in every single mission of the campaign? Ouch if yes.
Or it is actually possible to, say, play a campaign with unchanged missions 1-2, than modified missions 3-5, and than unchanged mission 6+, all while keeping the hero progress/inventory?

Also, cashe file is names "campaigns" by default. Should I rename it to something else?