• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GUI - spell, need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey, I'm new.
I followed a tutorial on how to make a "push" spell, where you use a spell on a unit, and push it backwards away from yourself. After doing that I made a new spell, where I draw people close with a manadrain lightning effect. And then when they get as close as 100 range I begin the effect of my next trigger, rotate, where I rotate the target around. And in the end I throw him off. When I throw he will also go up and down.
Now, I have several problems.
First off, I have the human paladin as the model of the caster. I want him to spin when the "rotate" trigger is active. So I added bladestorm to him. But when I tried to click it, or use it with a trigger, the animation wouldn't come. Is there any way I can get the animation of bladestorm working? If not how will you guys solve the problem that the caster needs to look at the unit that is thrown around and around him? I don't think "make unit face unit instantly" will work because he spins too fast. The same goes for the unit that is spun around the Caster, how can I make him face the Caster the whole time?

If you look at the "Throw" and the "Throw up and down" triggers, they are running at the same time. They are actually working very well, the problem is that I don't know how to make the "Crow Form" NOT turn the Target into a Crow. I know you can change units that it will turn into, but it is many different types of units I'm going to use this spell on. And I want them all to stay in their current form through the whole spell.
The second problem I got with "Crow Form" is that when the target is going back to Human form and lands, it will die. Even if I don't got the "Explode Target" in the Throw trigger. I tried using the Crow Form on my Caster, it seems like when he lands again, he will play a death animation, but if I order myself to move around, I will get back up and everything is back to normal, it is really weird..
So because of these two problems I tried making a new trigger that changed the flying height of the unit. This wouldn't work. I have no idea why. The last picture is of the flying trigger I tried to make.

A list over the pictures, which one is which trigger:
Pic1 (SP1) - The trigger start - Bladestorm spell is no good.
Pic2 (SP2) - The Caster pulls the Target close - no problems here.
Pic3 (SP3) - The Target is withing range of 100 of the caster, the Pull trigger stops and the Rotate trigger starts - No problems here.
Pic4 (SP4) - The Target rotates around the Caster - The problem is that I cannot make the Paladin do the bladestorm animation, and I can't make the two units face eachother.
Pic5 (SP5) - The Caster throws away the Target - Works perfectly.
Pic6 (SP6) - The Target gains Crow Form and goes up and down - Works, but I don't want the Target to turn into a Crow, and I don't want the Target to die when it turns back to human form and lands.
Pic7 (Flying) - This isn't working.

Big thanks to everyone that tries to help :thumbs_up:.

Attachments

• SP1.JPG
    SP1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 154
  • SP2.JPG
    SP2.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 157
  • SP3.JPG
    SP3.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 152
  • SP4.JPG
    SP4.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 179
  • SP5.JPG
    SP5.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 211
  • SP6.JPG
    SP6.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Flying.JPG
    Flying.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 84
1. The bladestorm animation is specific to the Blade Master model. The way you can get him to spin is, indeed, a period "make unit face unit instantly". To make his head always facing the same direction, but to cause him to spin, you can do ANimation - Set part targeting angle and use "head".

2. N/A

3. N/A

4. See no. 1.

5. N/A

6. The unit, to be able to fly, needs to have movement type flying, or you can add the ability Crow Form to it and the take it off, which make it able to fly.

7. As above.

Level 2
Came a little further :)

Thanks for your help.
I was able to make the Caster spin around fast enough by using "lock casters head and chest to target". That was very helpful : ). The crow form thing didn't work for me though. But I was able to make it fly after I made it a flying unit in the object editor. My spell is very close to completion now :D.
I also used some physics I've learned in school to create a nice throwing motion :cool:. y = v0*t + 1/2 at^2 :p. I'm going to use this to create a cool system for jumps, grenades and stuff like that soon. The first system I will make will be a system where you can decide stuff like how hard you are going to shoot and in which angle, and it will calculate a smooth shot / throw or whatever by itself :thumbs_up:. In the end I will put out both the throw / jump system and my finished spell out here on THW.
Look forward to it ;p.

Level 4
A quick note is that the bladestorm 'spinning' effect is actually a model. You could always mess with a dummy to create a neat effect that has the paladin look as if a spirit is doing the work for him (as if it were some ancestor or something). Nice work. :cgrin:

Level 11
Shybert, the unit does not have to "cast" crow form. That'd turn it into a crow. You just add the ability and then remove it, and he'll be able to have a fly height. Also, I believe you need to use medivh's crow form as opposed to stormcrow form, because the research required would prevent it from changing fly height or something.

Level 2
Shybert, the unit does not have to "cast" crow form. That'd turn it into a crow. You just add the ability and then remove it, and he'll be able to have a fly height. Also, I believe you need to use medivh's crow form as opposed to stormcrow form, because the research required would prevent it from changing fly height or something.

Thanks, it's good to know exactly what I have to do in order to make the unit able to fly. I don't have a problem with that on this map anymore, but if I get a problem again I will try this method. Thanks.
+rep

PS: I guess I should get "flying unit" turned off after I'm done with the throw. In case some units on the map can't attack flying.. or can they attack the flying unit as long as the flying height is 0? If they can't attack the flying unit even if its height is 0, please show me how I make it back to a "ground walking unit" >_<.

Status
Not open for further replies.