• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Guerrilla Warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey guys, I've recently started making a map, that I'm calling Guerrilla Warfare
I've told a few people already about it, and explained it to them, and they asked me to post it here. So I am :D.
The game is set in the future, haven't thought of a story or anything, its just in the future atm.
So, I'll take you through the game start to finish, (Of how i want to see it, when it's done)

Aim Of the Game:

Mode Selection/Game Start
At the start, you select a mode. At the moment, all i can think of is Player Vs Player and Player Vs Computer.
PvC is not very defined atm, cause i don't have many ideas for it, so I'll take you through PvP.
So, you select PvP, another box will come up, asking whether you want friendly fire On/Off (I'll explain that when i get to the combat system)
Now, you select your class, so far I've only made the basic Militia class, but i have plans for a Marksman, Sniper, Support, Force Recon and UV coordinator.

There are two teams of 6 in this game, they spawn at opposite ends of the map, and each one has a leader too.
Now, once you've selected your class, HQ orders you to find a suitable place for your Base Of Operations (BoO).
You can place the BoO anywhere in the map, by the leader throwing down a red smoke grenade. Once you have done this, a helicopter drops supplies, and the BoO down for you.

The Base Of Operations (BoO)
The supplies & Base you get depends on your squad leader's class, e.g Force Recon gets a tent, and a lot of survival supplies, and the UVC gets a Mobile outpost that can send out UAVs and other things to aid in combat, but you get less supplies etc.

Game Finish
After this, the aim of the game is to either, outlast the enemy, by injuring them until they run out of supplies, Incapacitating all of them so they can't help each other or finding and destroying their Base Of Operations.

Saving/Loading
This game is going to have a Save/Load system. The higher your XP the more classes you can use. that's basically the only benefit i can think of so far, but I'm welcome to all ideas you might come up with.
Whoever wins, gets lotsa XP, the losers get a small amount. (PvP mode Only)

Combat System:

Now, the combat I think is what makes this game, when i tell you this your all gunna be like, omg wtf you can't possibly do that. And I know, its just an idea i had, so it might not even happen.

Friendly Fire
Anyway, back to the friendly fire thing, If you are shooting at something, and a friendly, or a tree, or a rock, or a cliff goes in front of you while your firing(Yeah trees and rocks can walk in this game...lol jokes), it will hit that instead, though it does have a % chance to go through the cover and hit the target behind it, depending on how good the cover is.
The whole combat system is going to use things like turn speed (called Acquisition Rate in the game) to add a new level of play, so that, say you get shot by a sniper, and somehow survive, if you run really fast, they cant hit you cause they're acquisition rate is low.

Dismemberment?!
Another part of the system is that you can get dismembered. there is a % chance depending on your gun/armor etc that the bullet will rip your Leg/Arm/Chunk of Torso clean off. This will affect you in the obvious ways, such as crappy aim with no right arm, etc. Once injured like this though, you can be healed, by either one of your team mates grabbing you and dragging you back to the BoO, or one of your team mates (specific classes only) strapping you to a Med-UAV that flies you back to the BoO (though you risk the other team finding your base this way). Once at the BoO though, you don't just grow your arms back; you get a cyborg replacement instead. You only have a limited number of these, depending on the BoO you got, and they affect you in different ways.

Here's an example:
You get shot by a sniper, and unluckily, your arm is ripped clean off. You can still fight, but you're nearly useless. A nearby UVC straps you to a Med-UAV, and you are whisked back to base, and after a few minutes, you are fitted with a new arm. This arm gives you better Melee damage, More accuracy, but your acquisition and fire rate are both lowered considerably.
in the supplies, you also get sandbags, which you can pile up yourself one by one, sandbags are the best kind of cover in the game, and should be used wisely and according to where you set up your base. Support classes make best use of sandbags, as they cant get hit pretty much behind a 3x stack of sandbags, and have a huge amount of firepower.

Shared Vision
Vision isn't shared unless your watching the camera feed relayed from the squad, to the base, so if your at the base you can see your team members.

Current Ideas and Plans
There are a few ideas I'm contemplating already, which is the combination of auto firing and manual firing, and skills like perception which increase your acquisition range/rate (rate as in your turn speed). another idea was instead of acquisition range, there is a % chacne you'll notice someone nearby, and you'll automatically shoot at them.
Another is making LOS 230 degrees in front of the unit only, enabling you to sneak up on people in the narrow blind spot behind them.
BoO ideas could be from Reconnaissance Base, to Artillery Command Center, to a medical station, to a crawling spider mech with launch-able UVs/UAVs, (for the UVC)

As I said before, this is just what i want for the game, comments and criticisms are welcome, and you can suggest ideas for the PvC mode too if you like.

At the moment I'm looking for one other person to help me out on this, but its not 100% required, I just need someone with more JASS knowledge than me.

Questions and Answers
I posted this first on a different forum, so I'll do a Q/A style set up of what they asked about the map, and how i answered :). This will be updated as new questions arise.

Q:
If someone is standing directly behind sandbags(or close by), will their shots be stopped by the sandbags?

A: Nope, the closer you are to a cover, the less likely you are to hit it, it all uses trigger sums that are constantly changing.

Q:How would people have a chance to see where your BoO is via Med-UAV?

A:When Med-UAVs are carrying something, they move a lot slower than when they don't, plus they have no defenses, so they could be easily followed by a Force Recon unit for instance.

Q:How do you determine squad leader? Would it be by most XP, or host, or Red?

A: I'm still not 100% sure on this one, but the most favoured idea is that the first person of each squad will be squad leader, so Red and Green (I think, can't remember the order they go in) would be squad leaders. But obviously, host has the most power over the game.

Q:How the fuck are you going to do dismemberment?

A: Using a particle system, and either somehow finding a way of changing a model's texture in-game, or having a crazy amount of a models... which really isn't the preferred choice

~MaxImash~

Last edited:
Level 7
I'm sorry, but I couldn't bring myself to tackle the wall of text. What I did read, though, seemed interesting. Please make it look more organized. :eek:

Use Headers to Separate Sections
Highlight key phrases to draw attention to them
bad.jpg

Level 5
Would you like to suggest another one?
You don't even understand the class, It's meant for being an all round short/mid range fighter, and mainly for rushing people like snipers etc. Plus its the first class you get, so its nothing special.

Try suggesting something better, and ask about it if you don't even know.
It's an NPC as well, but so are all the other classes.

Level 10
Would you like to suggest another one?
You don't even understand the class, It's meant for being an all round short/mid range fighter, and mainly for rushing people like snipers etc. Plus its the first class you get, so its nothing special.

Try suggesting something better, and ask about it if you don't even know.
It's an NPC as well, but so are all the other classes.

I suggest stick with concrete classes that balance out, so it does not feel like Insurgency Source and more along the lines of COD4.

Level 5
I already knew how to do that, It's the thing i'm trying to avoid;
'End Note
Congratulations! Now you will be able to import as many skins as you want based on one model. Unfortuantly, every model takes up space, so every time you import another model your map size will get larger.'
I'm looking for that same thing, it's just the space it'll take up will be huge, because there are a lot of skins to be used.
What skills do you have anyway? triggering? texturing?

x

Level 7
Well, I'm not extremely adept at much, but I'm fairly good at terraining and triggering. Language is probably among my chief skills, though I don't see how that could help much, other than naming units/heroes/abilities, or making tooltips. If you want an example, you could check the link in my signature.

Or I could do some basic Java/C++ programming! :thumbs_up:

Level 5
Hm, so what is the extent of your triggering knowledge? And if your good with terraining, i might have use for that :) at the moment the terrain is nothing special, just simple but not sloppy. But special works too :).
How would i use Java programming in my map xD. If there was a way then i'd probably do it.

A lot of different ideas are coming out over on the original thread, If you wanna check it out :
http://www.undeadassault.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1533&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Take note of Eleteguard's ideas, most of them will probably be added.

Level 1
There is no way to use java in the map.

He was basically saying that he knows plenty of java/c++, but not as much JASS (i assume).

I'm in the same boat - I know java, but havent learned JASS yet.

However, looking at JASS code, it is ridiculously easy compared to java/c++. its like programming in visual basic.

If you're looking to condense the map size, make sure you have no campaign units or neutral creeps still in your object module.

Because chances are guerillas dont have giant spiders as pets or gnolls.

Level 5
@cheese True say, the java thing was a joke :p, uh well why not learn JASS if it's easy? :). It wasn't hard for me to grasp, just took a while, and i don't know how to use it at an advanced level.

@Sausage, cheers :) I appreciate the encouragement, it looks like I'm gunna have to use lots of different models, but like cheese said (which i hadn't thought of before) I needa get rid of the campaign units, so it won't be all that bad.
Ty have some rep back :p.

Level 15
Thanks, first time someone reps me back... have a rep! nah.

So i was wondering if you will use good ol' wc3 attack system (right click, and you fire by yourself) or some MaDos system (like Elemination Tournament) or something completly different?

I saw that you would use Aquistion Range (or hower you spell it), but aint that for changeing range, or what?

Anyways, thanks :)

Level 5
Lol lets not get into a Rep-war :p.

Basically, you've got range, then acquisition range. If you have higher range than you do Acq range, then you can right click and shoot further, but cant auto attack from that range. So it adds a level of skill to the game.

In the game I'm calling it perception(Acq range), and different classes or items increase or decrease this. I am still debating whether to make perception increase the % chance you will auto attack, or increase the range at which you will auto attack, any comments?

You did read the bit about the cover system though right? That's another thing thats important :).

If you want to get the full story of whats to come, I really recommend checking out the other forum I linked earlier, recently there's been a lot of stuff being laid down for selecting weapons at the start, and the UVC's UVs. There are some cool abilities you will probably like the look of :). I will get round to updating this one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.