• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ground unit to flight unit using the dark conversion spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I've made a dark conversion type spell which worked except when the ground unit transforms into the flying unit the flying unit is sort of stuck to the ground as if its a ground unit which I'm really confused about. also i'm clueless when it comes to triggers however if its the only way to solve the issue then so be it

Level 12
I think he means the unit should transform to an actual flying unit with flying movement pathing etc. Crow form just lets you change the unit's movement height - even when they are a ground unit.

I am not sure of what the best solution is, but I think the chaos ability might work. I haven't used it myself, but what I understand is that that ability just transforms the unit when they gain the ability into any unit you want. If that doesn't work, I'd just trigger the unit switching - removing / killing the original unit and creating the flying unit you want.

Level 12
The delay may make it a bit harder, but if you just want a simple GUI trigger for it, you could write it like:
  • Dark Conversion
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability being cast equal to Dark Conversion
  • Actions
    • Wait 2.00 seconds
    • Unit - Create 1 Flying Unit at position of target unit of ability being cast
    • Unit - Remove target unit of ability being cast from the game
You'd probably want to base the ability off of something other than the actual dark conversion spell. Chain lightning with 0 bounces and 0 damage is a good choice, or you could use channel. Chain lightning is nice since AI will use it on their own, though. Attach the animation you want to the spell you use.

Note that that trigger leaks a point and Wait x seconds is not very good for your map. If it's not happening a ton, it probably isn't a huge issue.

Level 18
I know what problem you are experiencing. The hero is kind of stuck to the ground, half inside it?
I think if you're adding crow form to it, then you'll have to change the unit's height to desired height to fix it.

Level 9
The delay may make it a bit harder, but if you just want a simple GUI trigger for it, you could write it like:
  • Dark Conversion
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability being cast equal to Dark Conversion
  • Actions
    • Wait 2.00 seconds
    • Unit - Create 1 Flying Unit at position of target unit of ability being cast
    • Unit - Remove target unit of ability being cast from the game
You'd probably want to base the ability off of something other than the actual dark conversion spell. Chain lightning with 0 bounces and 0 damage is a good choice, or you could use channel. Chain lightning is nice since AI will use it on their own, though. Attach the animation you want to the spell you use.

Note that that trigger leaks a point and Wait x seconds is not very good for your map. If it's not happening a ton, it probably isn't a huge issue.

Okay I got everything done to the part of wait 2.00 second but I don't know how ti get the rest (can't find them )

Level 9
ok this is what I did but nothing happens

Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability

Conditions
Mutation (Neutral Hostile) Equal to Chain Lightning (Neutral Hostile)

Actions
Wait 2.00 seconds
Unit - Create 1 Crypt Drone for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing Default building facing degrees
Unit - Remove (Target unit of ability being cast) from the game

Level 12
Under Conditions, you want it to be like
  • Conditions
    • Ability being cast Equal to Mutation (Neutral Hostile)
You can find "Ability being cast" as something like "Event response - Ability being cast"

This checks to make sure the ability being cast is the correct ability for the effects in the actions. For the create trigger, you should choose the point as Position of unit (Target unit of ability being cast).

Level 12
No problem!

Are you basing it off of chain lightning? You should be able to change the model in the object editor under "Art - Target". It will show whatever you choose from there.

Is the unit already standing around? There shouldn't be anything causing that in the trigger. If they are standing around a bit, look for "Stats - Casting Time" for the spell in the object editor.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Event - A Unit Dies
Condition - Unit Type = Disease Cloud
Action = Remove dying unit

Level 12
I also have an other problem with an ability that summons a disease cloud. The clouds only supposed to last 65 seconds but once the timer runs out it becomes unelectable and last forever I based the summon off of summon water elemental

I am not exactly sure what could cause this. It could maybe be a problem with the disease cloud model, but I feel like I've used it before and there were no issues.

You could try removing it from the game when it dies. A trigger like:

• Disease Cloud Death
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit dies
  • Conditions
    • Unit type of Triggering Unit Equal to Disease Cloud
  • Actions
    • Unit - Remove Triggering Unit from the game

Level 12
How did you make the disease cloud? I think some of the disease cloud abilities leave a disease cloud after the unit dies. It might be that. You can probably set the duration after death or something, but I'm not 100% sure. You could also just give it permanent immolation so it just damage nearby units. It won't give them the disease buff, though.

I haven't messed around with the disease cloud ability too much, so I don't know specifically how to fix it. I can't check right now because I don't have access to wc3.

Level 12
I think it is in the last picture. It shows:
"Data - Plague Ward Unit Type Forsaken Blight"

I think that means when the unit with the ability dies, it will spawn a Forsaken Blight (I guess it makes it unselectable and stuff as well). Since Forsaken Blight has this ability, it will spawn another copy of itself that is unselectable when it dies. When that one dies, another new one will spawn. This is what I think is happening.

If you have a blank dummy unit with no model in your map, you could change the "Data - Plague Ward Unit Type" to that and set "Data - Duration of Plague Ward" to 0.01 so it just dies immediately. That way, you won't have the ward unit at all.

You could also look at the Disease Cloud unit for undead and see how that one works. It might be using different base abilities or something.

Level 9
the 0.01 and the dummy ward was the solution thanks again another thing I have to ask is i'm in the process of making a map with a forsaken race and some alterations to the originals and when its ready I would like some one to test it before uploading it to the hive. think you'd be interested? still a long way off though XD

Level 12
Ya I could help you test it out :) Just message me whenever it's ready. I'm glad the solution worked.

Level 9
yeah saus I could use your help on two Ability edits:

1) I've made silence destroy more and more mana per level: 50-L1, 100-L2 and 150-L3 but it destroys both allied and enemy mana when I just want it to destroy enemy mana

and

2) I like the drain life power to drain the same amount of mana fron target enemirs as it does hit points per second per level

*Note: These are all based on the dark rangers abilities*

any how thanks for reading >:D

Level 12
1) I've made silence destroy more and more mana per level: 50-L1, 100-L2 and 150-L3 but it destroys both allied and enemy mana when I just want it to destroy enemy mana

2) I like the drain life power to drain the same amount of mana fron target enemirs as it does hit points per second per level

1) Did you do this with triggers? I don't know all the fields for the silence spell. I am guessing you did it with triggers with something to select all the units around the target of the spell. If that's the case, you need to use and If - Then - Else to pick out only the enemies. The part in the loop should look like this:
  • Actions
    • If (Picked Unit belongs to an enemy of Owner of Unit(Triggering Unit))
      • then
        • (Reduce mana)
      • else
If you did it with a spell effect, then you most likely just have to change the targets allowed. There should be a check box for "enemy" in there.

2) I'm pretty sure there is a spell that already does this. You can copy that one over and just edit the numbers. I am not 100% sure if it's there, but I do remember seeing a buff called "Drain Life & Mana". Let me know if you find something like that or not. I can also check when I get home, but that won't be for about 7 hours lol.

Level 12
lol that's so weird. I might have to mess around with it at home, tonight. I don't think I can help you with it without actually messing around with the ability myself. Sorry!

Level 12
Lol I'm gonna apologise again since I didn't get around to testing it out. I got super distracted by this system I am building for my map and I was really tired by the time I was finished with that. I'll look at it for sure, tonight.

How about that silence ability? Do you still need help with it? Are you using triggers to burn the mana?

Level 12
Okay I tried the life and mana drain effect and it worked fine for me. I did the same changes as you did except it was the non-hero version. It doesn't drain any mana if the target has no mana, though. Are you targeting units with no mana?

I couldn't find a mana drained field for the silence spell.

Level 9
Ah shoot ! I forgot in order to drain mana the target has to have mana XD duh XD atleast that works and for the silence I don't know what I was saying XD I meant was you could set a percent for targeted units to have a miss chance but only units with mana get the miss chance however I want ALL the selected units to receive the miss chance.

Sorry for my lapse of thinking XD

Level 12
OHHH lol that makes more sense.

Giving them miss chance I think will have to be done with a trigger. I think silence is hard coded to only hit units with spells.

I went ahead and made the trigger:
  • silence miss
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Silence
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy caster for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing 0.00 degrees
      • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add custom curse to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of custom curse for (Last created unit) to (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within ((75.00 x (Real((Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit))))) + 125.00) of (Target point of ability being cast)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Banshee - Curse (Picked unit)
It uses the curse spell to give the enemies the miss chance. The range for selecting the units is based on the default aoe for silence spell for the dark ranger. Note that the trigger leaks a group and 2 points.

Level 12
You choose the numbers in your own curse spell. The trigger I put there updates the level of the curse spell to be the same as the silence spell, so just make it do what you want at the levels you want from the silence spell :)

You don't need to have the miss chance on the silence ability if you use my trigger. Having them both might make units that get silenced miss even more.

Level 9
got it soon i'll be done the units. then its off to the buildings a few touch ups and i'll send it straight to ya for a review, suggestions etc

but one other thing (last thing for today I promise XD) I've made a new spell called ultimate sacrifice (copy of paladins resurrection) how ever I want the unit who triggers the spell to die upon its activation

Level 12
No problem :) That one is pretty easy. The trigger would be like:
  • ultimate sacrifice
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Ultimate Sacrifice
  • Actions
    • Unit - Kill (Triggering Unit)

Level 12
"dummy caster" is a dummy unit on my test map with no abilities. I just add the one I want it to cast and the tell it to cast it.

I was worried about that. You can fix it by putting in a short wait. Something like "Wait 0.50 seconds." before it kills the caster.

Status
Not open for further replies.