• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello everybody!
My name's Alex and I am 22 years old. I have been making maps for some time now. My skill lies mostly in triggers and map making. I am not an advanced modder. I barely handles the object editor and I always uses the in-built trigger editor. But I am having fun and that's what matters, right? I do like story driven plots and I am good at writing stories.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
hello, StormChaser I am glad to see a new modder around here.
as your very new I suggest you take a walk right to the tutorial section threre is a few triggering tutorials you could check out. If I may be so bold you can click my sig "Tutorials>Chaosy's triggering tutorial for beginners"

also I wanna hand out some general info here since you will most likely ask it latter anyway.
In wc3 we use three types of triggers they are called JASS, GUI and VJASS.
GUI look like this this is the most common type we use as it's easiest for most people.
  • THIS IS A GUI TRIGGER
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
and then we got jass which is the real coding language of wc3.
JASS:
function THIS IS JASS takes nothing returns nothing
    //do stuff
endfunction

and then we got VJASS which is a improved form of JASS and it's not made by blizzard so you need a custom editor for that, "JNGP" (JASS NEW GEN PACK) and if you want that there is a tutorial for setting it up.

also there is a rule here that a few newbies don't know of, you are not allowed to double post since it takes un-needed memory. Insted we use the "edit button"
to make clear that it is a edit most of us do something like this
EDIT: I forgott to say that I want it GUI not JASS

hope you stay here for many years ^^
//Chaosy

Level 4
Thank you for welcoming me. I have been doing triggers before but I am sure they're rather simple in comparison with other modders around here. I may check your tutorial out because it's always good to get to know more. E.g. I didn't know you used Pg Down/Pg Up to change height of dodads. That may simplify my bridge placing. :)

The triggers I have done are simple ones like, Kill Monster X, Use Item X to open door, Cinematics, Move Unit X to Location Y, Quest triggers, Make X of Unit Y. That sort of thing. I don't know any about the complicated triggers of Dota, Game Archives, Portals, TD, Custom Scripts and AI although I have tried and failed, more or less.

Thanks for explaining those terms! I have been wondering over what GUI, MUI and JASS meant! I did suspect that JASS were a more advanced trigger.

No double-posting, got it. Cheers!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
MUI is basicly that it works for many units at the same time but dont worry about that allready that is a problem you got to face when you code systems later on.

EDIT: oh and yes, when you get 10 posts you can add rep too helpful people which adds a point to that user to see how helpful they have been and based on your rep number you get coloured orbs to show that. for me I got one blue big bar and 4 big green ones and if you hover your mouse over that you can see that I got 292 rep points. If you want to add rep to someone there will be a little icon right under your avatar

Level 4
OK, got it.

Alright thanks. That's a very nice system to build trust in people. I can't add to your reputation I think because it seems like the button just wants to send me to a page on here.

Oh btw I have also been playing around with If/Then/Else triggers, Animation, Special Effect and Dialogue triggers. However I haven't grasped Integer or Real and some of the other more advanced triggers yet. Like Math.

Status
Not open for further replies.