• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GoW Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10

This is a WIP! So don't be startled by the lack of filling in the terrain. I don't have much models at my disposal and making alot of the things I want to make are troublesome with standard War3 models. Any links would be very helpfull! :grin:

I started this map about a year ago, haven't done much. But I decided a few weeks ago to overhaul about all the terrain that I did so far. So you will see alot of 'blank' spots around the map. Criticizing about the terrain is what I need right now.

The terrain is suppose to be playable, but I haven't added that much pathing blockers atm.

Edit1: Expanded more areas, working on various parts and including pathable buildings that u can go up and around for a higher elevation point of the view.
Edit2: Working on some mines at the bottem of the map, and then to a dungeon if it looks well. Added some pictures to.
Edit3: Went berserk on the south-eastern part of the map. Making the outside part of the Mines (future dungeon) has been alot of fun. You can get a better view of it in the WE. But I added a picture of the entire thing, still planning to add more onto it!

Working on the actual dungeon in the bottem left corner. Added a picture. Might redo.

Attachments

• GoW Pic1.png
    GoW Pic1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 244
  • GoW Pic2.png
    GoW Pic2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 218
  • Gow Pic3.png
    Gow Pic3.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 194
  • Gow Pic4.png
    Gow Pic4.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 186
  • Gow Pic5.png
    Gow Pic5.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 141
  • Gow Pic6.png
    Gow Pic6.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 173
  • Gow Pic7.png
    Gow Pic7.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 186
  • Gow Pic8.png
    Gow Pic8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
  • Gow Pic9.png
    Gow Pic9.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
  • Gow Pic10.png
    Gow Pic10.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
  • Gow Pic11.png
    Gow Pic11.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • GoW12.png
    GoW12.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 494
  • Gow Pic 13.png
    Gow Pic 13.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
  • GoW Terrain 2.06.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Level 27
Well, it's pretty empty right now eh.

Try easing up on the waterfalls now, although you're very good making them obviously i always try not to spam too much of the "same" object throughout a map.

I like the flattened waterfall technique you used to make it look like the water is going into different directions, i didn't know you could do that lol! so gonna use that =p

I also like that dark valley thing, original idea. I hope you will add some shrubs and grass and flowers and such in the forest later on? Further on looking good, although don't keep the hills like that? or add those rock doodads to make them realistic...

Level 19
It's quite a nice Terrain, especially the waterfalls:)
But its still pretty encouraged for you to add in more stuff, which could make it more interesting.
I'm sure you can do it!
Here's a little +Rep for you:)

Level 27
I just noticed the filesize, i have a 480x480 map with more terrain done than yours and it's still under 3 MB. Just saying =p

Oh yeah, I like that mine!! I just like your overall terraining actually it really has a "your style" feeling to it only i really hope you don't plan keeping the raised mountains etc. like that.

Level 10
bump

Working on the bottem left. The actual dungeon, I'm still thinking of redoing it. The pathing for you is to small and needs to be redesigned anyways for looks.

I just noticed the filesize, i have a 480x480 map with more terrain done than yours and it's still under 3 MB. Just saying =p

Oh yeah, I like that mine!! I just like your overall terraining actually it really has a "your style" feeling to it only i really hope you don't plan keeping the raised mountains etc. like that.
I don't really care about the filesize right now, unless it interferes with DL speeds or a problem with hiveworkshop. But any info to reduce the filesize would be helpfull later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.