• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Got some questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everybody! I love making maps (Specially RPGs) although I've never posted my projects... I have the problem that whenever I find something I dont like on my map I feel like I need to do it again from zero, which has improved the quality of my maps but also is a neverending story...

So well, straight to the point, I have a few questions which I couldnt find any help, either from old posts or tutorials.

1. This is a problem I've been fighting with almost from the beginning... How can I "connect" maps? Like Frozen Throne's Rexxar campaign where you can travel from the main map to another cave without the loading screen or things like that, ToJ map also has this "map connection" thing... I want to make an Icy Mountains map, a Volcanic one, a Jungle and Desert for example but I dont know how to connect them.

2. Is there any map size limit for Offline (Single player) mode? I think not... just wondering.

3. I've tryed to make ability upgrades for heroes but whenever I try to delete an ability it just removes all skill points used on that ability, which means its still avaliable for leveling...
Is use the Remove/Add Skill to Hero action on triggers for these abilities but doesnt work. Any ideas?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

Level 28
1) Connecting maps (single player only) works with Game Caches.
They're some sort of storage database that can save all information you want from 1 map and then load it to another (in multiplayer, the data will be lost the moment you leave the game).

Tutorial on Game Caches.
Transition in Maps.

I think those 2 tutorials (albeit old) are pretty useful.

2) Never heard of any singleplayer limit. The maximum I've seen was around 160MB I think. Don't make it too big though, nobody likes that :p
Music can usually be compressed without too much quality loss, you don't usually need high-quality models etc.

3) If I understand you correctly, this could help:
  • Player - Disable Your Ability for Player 1 (Red)
It will not remove the ability, but it will make it invisible for the player. If every hero has unique abilities, then there should be no problem when using this.

Another solution is using the "Engineering Upgrade"-ability to transform 1 ability into the other.

Level 2
Thanks ap0calypse :D

When I saw the second Tutorial I was like...

template.jpg

Level 28
What do you mean? Is it because of the massive amount of text? :) If that's the case, the triggers are the most important part :D.
If you understood the Game Cache-tutorial, you can just look at the triggers in the second tutorial and you might understand it immediately (or by trying it out yourself).

Level 2
Yeah because of the amount of triggers Hahahaha Im kinda lazy sometimes :) Still I might try it sometime in a future... as I like making high-res maps with HQ Doodads and things like that I'll have to import like... 50+ models (some of them with 3+ textures)... Thats why I was asking about max map size Hahaha Also models from WoW which have a min of 1.5 MB each... Sick, I know :(

Here! Have a look!

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

First area, 90% finished. For first time I feel proud about my terraining job :D

Status
Not open for further replies.