• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gold Dragon

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
This is my first skin. There may be some deficiencies. The legendary golden dragon has no team color. Moreover, many websites do not have golden dragons, so for this reason, I made it, hoping to help the authors of various maps. Huang Jinlong represents the salvation of the Holy Light and the salvation of mankind in disaster. It can also be used as light casting unit, with two versions, one red eye and one Cyan eye. At the same time, thank Hive and its users for their help. I don't care about scoring because it is to help more people.
Previews
Contents

Gold Dragon (Texture)

Reviews
Shido
Unwrap version look problematic and I feel like CnP here. The wings are decent and honestly is the best part about the skin but the execution isn't great. The real problem have to be clarity of the skin, you wouldn't be able to tell where is the horn...
Footman16
It's always nice to see someone new try their hand at texturing :) the dragon is also a good one to start with as it has some nice large sections to work on. The Good: This isn't just a basic re-colour of the original dragon skin which is good. I...
Level 32
Unwrap version look problematic and I feel like CnP here. The wings are decent and honestly is the best part about the skin but the execution isn't great.

The real problem have to be clarity of the skin, you wouldn't be able to tell where is the horn nor the eye of the dragon. A skin can leave out TC for various reason for sure but a bit contrast could help, drop some shadow and such can get the skin close to Recommended rating.

Warning: non-english
The words you have said are great. Wings take a long time. The eye of the dragon is also my weakness. In the past, when painting, it was difficult to draw the eyes well, and it was also difficult to grasp the shadow part. Therefore, the dragon's eyes are almost full of color. I couldn't figure out how to draw the part of the dragon horn, so I drew it like this. My skills are very poor. There are some scattered free tutorials that I can only do. Please forgive me for my carelessness.

Attachments

• %B){{9WJ4RDWOUWCE9M@06T.png
    %B){{[email protected]
    18.4 KB · Views: 18
  • ~EAQZL6O7N5$ERWOW_4(RBM.png
    ~EAQZL6O7N5$ERWOW_4(RBM.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 17
  • }@S0MKOUVR8C{0%9C2NQT_L.png
    }@S0MKOUVR8C{0%9C2NQT_L.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 03.PNG
    03.PNG
    121.1 KB · Views: 11
  • }$MC$T58Y7S}}S_0C{WJWBY.png
    }$MC$T58Y7S}}S_0C{WJWBY.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It's always nice to see someone new try their hand at texturing :) the dragon is also a good one to start with as it has some nice large sections to work on.

The Good:
This isn't just a basic re-colour of the original dragon skin which is good. I can't tell if it's freehand or CnP (Copy and Paste) so if you could elaborate on that, that would be good. If it is free-hand the scale effect is actually quite nice and must have taken a loooooong time to do over such large areas which is impressive. The wings also look good with a strange almost "feathered" look to them.

Areas for Improvement:
Shading, shading, shading... and highlights. The texture suffers from a massive lack of shading which makes it look like one large golden... blob. The micro shading on individual scales etc looks fine, but it needs a lot of what I'd call "macro" shading across the texture to show the curves and bends of the arms, legs, face, neck etc. Also the detailing looks a bit cluttered imo. I feel like a lot of the detail gets missed from the texture when applied to the model and perhaps it should be redone with not less detail but more clearly defined detail.

Conclusion:
Not bad for a first texture, if you did this by free-hand I'm impressed and appreciate the effort, however, it has a lot of room for improvement and I'd like to see you work on this texture to make it better. As such I'll leave it as pending for the moment, but if you have no interest in working on it further I can approve it as "Lacking" due to Shading/Highlights being a requirement for the rules.

Level 32
Areas for Improvement:
Shading, shading, shading... and highlights. The texture suffers from a massive lack of shading which makes it look like one large golden... blob. The micro shading on individual scales etc looks fine, but it needs a lot of what I'd call "macro" shading across the texture to show the curves and bends of the arms, legs, face, neck etc. Also the detailing looks a bit cluttered imo. I feel like a lot of the detail gets missed from the texture when applied to the model and perhaps it should be redone with not less detail but more clearly defined detail.
I would like to point out that in his screenshots sharing the possibly unauthorized model, I notice that texture in that thing look too similar to the one right here. Do I think this texture simply ripped from the model itself? Please confirm that.

If he make the model itself, the skin can stay in Hive but not voted for recommended rating.
1678727522866.png

Edit: You can't approve as Lacking since they are only rating for Rejected status.

Last edited:
I would like to point out that in his screenshots sharing the possibly unauthorized model, I notice that texture in that thing look too similar to the one right here. Do I think this texture simply ripped from the model itself? Please confirm that.

If he make the model itself, the skin can stay in Hive but not voted for recommended rating.
View attachment 427855
Edit: You can't approve as Lacking since they are only rating for Rejected status.
Hello, Mr. Shido, this skin texture is made by me, but the model is not mine. The original model uses the built-in five-color dragon skin of Warcraft, which does not need to be added. I'm just not satisfied with the skin of the model. I think it is not golden enough.The following figure is a sample of the original version.

It's always nice to see someone new try their hand at texturing :) the dragon is also a good one to start with as it has some nice large sections to work on.

The Good:
This isn't just a basic re-colour of the original dragon skin which is good. I can't tell if it's freehand or CnP (Copy and Paste) so if you could elaborate on that, that would be good. If it is free-hand the scale effect is actually quite nice and must have taken a loooooong time to do over such large areas which is impressive. The wings also look good with a strange almost "feathered" look to them.

Areas for Improvement:

Conclusion:
Not bad for a first texture, if you did this by free-hand I'm impressed and appreciate the effort, however, it has a lot of room for improvement and I'd like to see you work on this texture to make it better. As such I'll leave it as pending for the moment, but if you have no interest in working on it further I can approve it as "Lacking" due to Shading/Highlights being a requirement for the rules.
When I made this skin, I only wanted to make it golden and bright, so there are few shadows. It is also difficult for me to grasp the strength of the shadow. The skin is painted by hand. I made my skin out of love for Golden Dragon, so I don't expect it to get any score. As for wings, I prefer the wings of birds, because I think the wings of dragons are ugly.

Attachments

• {Y$TL[349X~X2DH[Y{46~LG.png
    {Y$TL[349X~X2DH[Y{46~LG.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 72W)QK{}678W5~(LLK3{MWD.png
    72W)QK{}678W5~(LLK3{MWD.png
    42 KB · Views: 10
  • DA(`65~X(FNIOLPKQ[K9L%D.png
    DA(`65~X(FNIOLPKQ[K9L%D.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 10
  • I8P1]XS0}`RY]E7G[AUJ3~9.png
    I8P1]XS0}`RY]E7G[AUJ3~9.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 10
Level 32
@Carefree World please don't double post.

I can understand you intention for the skin but this is could have been fixed by simply having your scale adjust the brightness down and up. I will give you benefit of the doubt here and that this skin can stay in Hive :thumbs_up:.

After all, it's your intention and I can call your skin clean to bare minimum.

As such I'll leave it as pending for the moment, but if you have no interest in working on it further I can approve it as "Lacking" due to Shading/Highlights being a requirement for the rules.
Vote for Useful/Simple, the rules only applied on Recommended status as this skin while subpar is far from Lacking. Nothing is violated and his free-hand has met the basis to be uploaded in here.

According to Resource Submission Rules:
  • Bundles that may not live up to all requirements of quality / free-hand / scratch-made or contain minor bugs may in agreement with the submitter be marked as Useful / simple. If no agreement is made, Awaiting update is the appropriate moderation.
Skins section
  • Skins require proper shading and highlights.
  • They have to work flawlessly in-game.
  • The submission must include an in-game screenshot.
  • Skin recolours may be accepted if a skin's usefulness outweighs the fact that the skin is a recolor/copy-paste work. In this case, moderators will note that the texture doesn't fully adhere to the rules, but is approved due to it's usefulness/demand.
The green point supporting his resource and the red is what this currently cannot be applied to meet the standard.

Update: I still keep my vote here because the texture is still covering the whole thing so he is at least trying to make a skin. The fault on the fact Lacking is a rating and not a status.

Last edited:
@Carefree World did you get permission from the original author to share his/her model here? Can you provide me with a written permission?
I'm sorry, I also want to find the model author of this Chinese five-color dragon. This original model was shared for free on other websites long ago. Later, the website that shared the original model collapsed, and I couldn't find the author of the original model. However, I don't think he would mind sharing it again in this model since he is willing to share it for free. Models are created for maps. If you think this is illegal or will affect the website, I will delete it.

Level 32
I'm sorry, I also want to find the model author of this Chinese five-color dragon. This original model was shared for free on other websites long ago. Later, the website that shared the original model collapsed, and I couldn't find the author of the original model. However, I don't think he would mind sharing it again in this model since he is willing to share it for free. Models are created for maps. If you think this is illegal or will affect the website, I will delete it.
It does mean that you are no longer have authorization to share in Hive due to dead site, even with Author has a mind for open sharing it, you need a clear evidence that he declare that this resource can be share anywhere.

Imma be clear with you that sharing here is already a bad idea in the first place because while you are fine having screenshot of any model, you are not capable of sharing the file without permission.

Since, there's been no update:

I will moderate the texture for just now since the texture does appear to be yours although it was intended for a different model it still works with the vanilla Dragon model as per my initial review and remove the post with the model til permission can be ascertained.

In terms of permission, if you try to contact the author by any means or know of any other ways to contact them please do, should the author be permanently gone I will put to consideration allowing the model to be posted here since it is the intended model for this texture. Any questions or issues just let me know :)

Since, there's been no update:

I will moderate the texture for just now since the texture does appear to be yours although it was intended for a different model it still works with the vanilla Dragon model as per my initial review and remove the post with the model til permission can be ascertained.

In terms of permission, if you try to contact the author by any means or know of any other ways to contact them please do, should the author be permanently gone I will put to consideration allowing the model to be posted here since it is the intended model for this texture. Any questions or issues just let me know :)
"I deleted the shared file, causing you trouble. I'm really sorry.". The texture will be modified when I have time, but I will only slightly lower the light. Use this method to increase the shadow of the texture. As for other aspects, there may not be much time to consider and learn.

"I deleted the shared file, causing you trouble. I'm really sorry.". The texture will be modified when I have time, but I will only slightly lower the light. Use this method to increase the shadow of the texture. As for other aspects, there may not be much time to consider and learn.
Don't worry about it, you've made a contribution to the Hive which is great and we're just trying to make sure that other author's don't have their work shared without their consent even if it is with good intentions :) Add some more highlights and shading across the skin and it will drastically improve it and it's rating. If you need any help with that let me know.

For what I call "micro shading" which is the shading on the individual parts and small bits of the skin, I use the dodge/burn tool to darken areas that are "deeper" or more recessed to darken them and then lighten the areas that'll be hit by the light, depending upon what software you use it's best to set the strength of the tool quite low and slowly build up the shadows.

For "Macro shading" the shadows that fall on large sections of the unit for example a shoulder pad hanging over a units arm will cast a large shadow on the part underneath. I usually just use the paint tool, with the colour set to black at a very low opacity and then lightly "spray" over the areas you want to be shadowed and again just build up the shadows til it looks good :)