• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Giving heroes corpses like regular units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm making an RPG and I'd like the heroes to be resurrectable, sort of along the lines of WoW. Trouble is, Heroes in Wc3 dissipate when they die, so there's no corpse to resurrect. (I mean, i know the unit is still technically at that location, but there's no visible remnants.) I've played a map or two that has had this feature, so it must be possible...

I thought of creating a separate unit on that spot when the hero dies that will be the hero corpse, and triggering it so that when the res spell is cast on the dummy corpse, the hero revives at that spot. The trouble is, that looks dumb. Hero dissipate animations generally make a big deal about the body becoming a ghost and flying away, so it's stupid that the body is still on the ground. It looks a little better with a tombstone on the spot, because then at least it doesn't look like it's *Supposed* to look realistic...

But I want to do better than that. Ideally, I'd like the unit to not play the dissipate animation at all. Can anyone give me a suggestion? There isn't a gui trigger to prevent a unit animation... ;p

Level 11
When the hero dies, play the 'Death' Animation. This will override the automaticly selected 'Dissipate' animation. Also make sure the unit has the flags of 'ressurectable, does decay'.
Or to STOP the animation, when a unit dies use the action Animation Set Speed 0%. That will freeze the unit where it is. Then if you want to go further you can hide the unit and spawn a perminant hero corpse at that location!

Level 3
Thanks for the suggestions!
I tried them... Playing the "death" animation on the unit's death doesn't prevent the following "flying away" animation, unfortunately. I tried making the trigger wait 3 seconds (which is the duration of this particular model's "death" anim) and then set animation speed to 0. This prevented the unit from starting the "flying away" animation, but did not prevent the Unit from fading (ie, becoming transparent over approx 5 sec).

SoI'm stuck in the same place, atm. Creating a tombstone at the location while the unit's "ghost" flies away looks passable, but I'm still stumped on creating hero corpses.

Incidentally, Does anyone know if there's a way to start a unit in the middle of an animation? If i create a dummy unit that looks like the hero for the corpse, it has to play the whole unit animation before it's lying on the ground. Is there a way to tell it to start the animation a 2.99 seconds in, like with the play sound triggers?

Deleted member 139377

D

Deleted member 139377

or, you could make a triggor to make a flag marker at that location when the hero dies, then at death a ghost is spawned at a gravyard
it can be a wow battlegorund

Level 11
@HalakBalakBalak Please enumerate your idea. It seems better to have a corpse at the location (like in WoW) then a flag. I believe he already uses the idea of a ghost.

@Stilljester I think the best way is to: The second the hero dies, move it out of sight. Spawn a unit just like the hero (but not a hero), and kill that unit. Also if all you need is a corpse, there is an action called "spawn perminant corpse"

Status
Not open for further replies.