• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game making tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you start making a game on Unity, XNA, pure C++/C/C#/Java, Cry or anything else, you will eventually get bored of a null interface.

Here are some tips to make your game-making sessions better

1. Put on some music
  2. Tell everyone about this OHSOCOOL game you're making. People will expect you to work on it rather than laze out.
  3. Get a blackboard. I mean it. I'm dead serious.
  4. Talk to people on chat
And some generic tips

1. When writing code, make a path of the actions your script is supposed to do.
  2. Have regular long session showers. The kind where you sit under the water and think about stuff.
  3. Fiddle with everything in your game. It's more fun if you play with the game you're making.
- Let's say you just had this great idea and you want to make a game out of it. At first, think about it for a few days, and don't write anything down. Just keep it in your mind, or daydream about it. When you feel you have a more solid vision of what to do, grab pen and paper and write, in simple sentences, drawings, or just words, the ideas you have thought about.

- At some moment you WILL be stuck with a code, and if you have found no answer anywhere on the internet, give it some time. Do something else for a while, go out for a walk, play a game, read, or whatever, and the solution may come.

Blackboard
"Why would I need a blackboard?"

There are several times where I needed some space to draw stuff. To draw Axes (XYZ), to calculate formulas, draw code path, and heck, create new formulas.

If you have any tips to add, post below :)

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Put on some music
I think most people do that for everything already...

Tell everyone about this OHSOCOOL game you're making. People will expect you to work on it rather than laze out.
I do not think that helps much... Most people realise most projects will fail by now.

Get a blackboard. I mean it. I'm dead serious.
Apparently this site does not support racisim. I advise revising your post.

Talk to people on chat
Seeing as 95% of them have little idea of software development I do not think that will help.

When writing code, make a path of the actions your script is supposed to do.
Or... You could just follow the standard procedure of profession software development. I personally like to use the component arcitecture when developing systems. The nature of the arcitecture can allow you to keep coupling low and cohesion high. As each component only interacts through interfaces it also allows for parallel programming to occur (great for teams). It is often a good idea to write a paragraph or two what each part of the interface should do as you can often pick up mistakes in the interface specifcation then.

Have regular long session showers. The kind where you sit under the water and think about stuff.
Or just take a bath? That allows you to spend ages thinking and not destroy the environment in the process.

Fiddle with everything in your game. It's more fun if you play with the game you're making.
Rather concentrate on debugging the game. No mater how well you try and code, the game will have dozens of bugs.

"Why would I need a blackboard?"
To show how politically incorrect you are. Also you might be some guy from the 1900s where blackboards were the only way to write things.

There are several times where I needed some space to draw stuff. To draw Axes (XYZ), to calculate formulas, draw code path, and heck, create new formulas.
White boards work equally as well. So do digital canvases. You can even use notepad for notes and as scribble space.

blackboard-flight-bw.jpg

A blackboard.

Telling people about your project motivates you to work on it.

Talking to people on chat so that you don't get bored.

Creating a workflow for your code is advised.

Fiddling with your game allows you to find bugs and allows you to have some fun as well.

Blackboards are useful because they're bigger than a piece of paper and you can erase stuff on them easily.

Whiteboards use markers which sometimes create stains on the boards.

And trust me, i'd use a blackboard instead of paint or notepad.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Telling people about your project motivates you to work on it.
Been there, tried that, no success.

Talking to people on chat so that you don't get bored.
Or you could watch a movie or play a game, both work as well.

Creating a workflow for your code is advised.
Why not a component diagram? Or a project life cycle diagram? Or a ghannt chart? What about use case diagrams?

Fiddling with your game allows you to find bugs and allows you to have some fun as well.
Too bad you are so fed up with the game by this stage that you will hardly get any fun from it. Games are only fun when you do not know what is happening. If you know how the game works there is no "magic" behind it and all you see the game as is functions and data.

Blackboards are useful because they're bigger than a piece of paper and you can erase stuff on them easily.
On the other hand they are also messier as chalk will get all over the place which some people find irritating.

Whiteboards use markers which sometimes create stains on the boards
That usually does happen after reading the word "Permanent" written on the marker and using it regardless.

And trust me, i'd use a blackboard instead of paint or notepad.
Not everyone finds writing easy.

Level 4
Haha, take it easy dude.

If you don't want a blackboard, use a tablet or simply a goddamned piece of paper; but something where you can do stuff 'free hand'.

Also, some tips:

- Let's say you just had this great idea and you want to make a game out of it. At first, think about it for a few days, and don't write anything down. Just keep it in your mind, or daydream about it. When you feel you have a more solid vision of what to do, grab pen and paper and write, in simple sentences, drawings, or just words, the ideas you have thought about.

- At some moment you WILL be stuck with a code, and if you have found no answer anywhere on the internet, give it some time. Do something else for a while, go out for a walk, play a game, read, or whatever, and the solution may come.

Level 5
...Do something else for a while, go out for a walk, play a game, ...

THAT is awesome!! really. I get stuck with a story or and idea or whatever, I take the dog for a walk and inspiration comes all by itself.

I'm not a coder, I barely even understand the WC3's World Editor, but this tips are great for every kind of creative activity.

I always carry in my backpack two small-sized notepads, a sketchbook (I do like to draw) and a bigger notebook for extensive writting. The pair of mechanical pencils, eraser and pen are implied. I recommend, since I do tend to forget any idea that comes to my mind if I don't write it down within 2 minutes. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.