• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Frostspring Thicket

Frostspring Thicket

I want to try something basic this time, so here it is a twin forest. I hope you enjoy and have fun.

Buildings:
-2 Goblin Merchant
-2 Fountain of Health
-1 Tavern
-2 Expansion Goldmine

Creeps:
-6 Green Camps
-10 Orange Camps

full

full

full

Credits for the models:
Carrington2k
kellym0
Bloody_turds
Goblin Academy
Finglolfin
Elenai
HerrDave
Rondo

Update log:

Frostspring Thicket 1.0 (28/2/18)
-Uploaded
-Changed creep drops and level
-Added creep variation to lessen the poison and curse effect
-Edited Description

Check out my other resources: Templates
Contents

Frostspring Thicket (Map)

Reviews
WolfFarkas
1-Markets and health of fountains creeps, loots permanent level 2 and charged level. A camp should not loot a charged and a permanent, it should be a charged and a power up ; or a permanent and a power up. because you full the item bag of the hero in...
WolfFarkas
Goldmine creeps should not be in camp mode (blue creeps) rate increased to 4/5
deepstrasz
Animated/shaking trees, I don't know. You got to get used to that during melee play. It has some choke points right at the main base entrances. There isn't enough creep variation. Too much use of units with poison. Not too fun to have Curse casting...
Level 29
1-Markets and health of fountains creeps, loots permanent level 2 and charged level.
A camp should not loot a charged and a permanent, it should be a charged and a power up ; or a permanent and a power up.
because you full the item bag of the hero in this way by looting charged and permanent
, health fountains and goblin markets creeps could be diferent and have diferent loot
sugestion:health fountain better defended than markets, like let say level 18-19 creep for health fountains.

2-power up level 1 are not used. you can change 1 permanent level 1 for 1 power up in green creeps.

3-set starting mana points of the creeps to 100% (manually) or select all special, check them

4-add air blocks to towers doodads, because air units can pass like shadows and shure looks weird ingame.

5- the creeps level 15 loot charged level 3 items and the level 16 are looting level 2 items. if a level 15 loots a level 3, a level 16 can´t loot a level 2, is not well minded.

upload_2018-2-28_15-47-45.png

-you can remove wood there, leave the cliff naked and add a creep, this is optional, just that area seems empty of something.
a couple of green creeps could be interesting. for more camping options.

6- for competitive melee reasons, when you have only 1 goldmine for expansion, it should be less defended, like level 14, to balance undead vs humans, also a level 18 creep could be in the health fountain, because health fountains should be better defended than goldmines (even a health fountain could have a red creep).

7- never use the plague treant, it has disease cloud wich undead are inmune, and it will be more hard to the others races to beat that camp, Blizzard are not that well for balance, but for competitive melee this is a must.

Overall: a bit of this and that regarding the loot and creep balance, and air blocks for doodads.

3/5 reached fairly in this state, you can get mor points of my by improving the map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
Wow thats a lot of useful info how to do competetive melee maps for me.

Can I ask what are creep levels 15 and 16? It is the sum of creep camp?

thanks and:

yes, exactly, when you do a camp, it has a level determined by the sum of the levels of the creeps,
level 1-9 is a green
level 10-19 is an orange
so level 15 and 16 are orange creeps.
level 20- what ever is a red

is important to have coherence between the level of the creep and the loot, if you have level 16 looting level 2 items and
level 15 looting level 3 items, wich is the case, is not very good.

a sugestion I give to all users that want to gain knoledge for melee play: study others melee maps, and reviews, thats why my signature links to a selected users of the Hive that did many melee maps

Last edited by a moderator:
1-Markets and health of fountains creeps, loots permanent level 2 and charged level.
A camp should not loot a charged and a permanent, it should be a charged and a power up ; or a permanent and a power up.
because you full the item bag of the hero in this way by looting charged and permanent
, health fountains and goblin markets creeps could be diferent and have diferent loot
sugestion:health fountain better defended than markets, like let say level 18-19 creep for health fountains.

2-power up level 1 are not used. you can change 1 permanent level 1 for 1 power up in green creeps.

3-set starting mana points of the creeps to 100% (manually) or select all special, check them

4-add air blocks to towers doodads, because air units can pass like shadows and shure looks weird ingame.

5- the creeps level 15 loot charged level 3 items and the level 16 are looting level 2 items. if a level 15 loots a level 3, a level 16 can´t loot a level 2, is not well minded.

View attachment 293045
-you can remove wood there, leave the cliff naked and add a creep, this is optional, just that area seems empty of something.
a couple of green creeps could be interesting. for more camping options.

6- for competitive melee reasons, when you have only 1 goldmine for expansion, it should be less defended, like level 14, to balance undead vs humans, also a level 18 creep could be in the health fountain, because health fountains should be better defended than goldmines (even a health fountain could have a red creep).

7- never use the plague treant, it has disease cloud wich undead are inmune, and it will be more hard to the others races to beat that camp, Blizzard are not that well for balance, but for competitive melee this is a must.

Overall: a bit of this and that regarding the loot and creep balance, and air blocks for doodads.

3/5 reached fairly in this state, you can get mor points of my by improving the map.
Changes made.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Animated/shaking trees, I don't know. You got to get used to that during melee play.
  2. It has some choke points right at the main base entrances.
  3. There isn't enough creep variation. Too much use of units with poison.
  4. Not too fun to have Curse casting creeps on early camps.

Approved.

1. Animated/shaking trees, I don't know. You got to get used to that during melee play.
  2. It has some choke points right at the main base entrances.
  3. There isn't enough creep variation. Too much use of units with poison.
  4. Not too fun to have Curse casting creeps on early camps.
Approved.
Changes have been made, reduced the poison inflicting units, reduced the curse buff and added creep variation but the shaking animation of the trees are part of their stand animation it gives them a realistic feel as if they're dancing with the forest and the wind.