• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Since the spells section has this as well, I thought the icon section could use a FAQ too. These may not really be frequently asked questions, but since lately I kept wondering about those not so frequently asked things.

1 ) Why does my icon appear green when I enter the menu?
That is because the icon has the wrong path for the disabled version. For the game to recognize an icon as the disabled version of another icon, both icons must have the correct paths.

Normal BTN path:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNName.blp

Disabled BTN path
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNName.blp

Passive BTN path
ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASBTNName.blp

In all the cases above, you can replace the “Name” with the name of the icon. Just make sure that it’s the same for both Normal/Passive and Disabled versions of the icon.

2 ) I downloaded an icon from the site but it doesn't work. What's wrong?

Usually when importing art things such as icons and models and skins you have to exit and reopen WE in order for the changes to take place. However, if after this the icon still doesn't appear, there might be a problem with the alpha channels.

3 ) And how can I solve the problem with the alpha channels?

You will need to convert the icon into a TGA, and copy-paste it on a new 64x64 empty image with a graphic editing program. Save the new image as a 32 bits TGA. Then reconvert the image to blp and it should work.

4 ) I downloaded an icon from the site, yet it doesn’t have the Disabled version. How can I create one myself?
First cover the metal border with black (but not more). And now, if you have an image-editing program that works with layers, make a new layer above the icon’s, cover it with black and set its opacity to 50%. If you don’t, play with the brightness the way you like (it can be different for each icon). Layer method looks better, but darkening the icon works too.

5 ) I want to learn how to make icons myself. Where to begin?
Try this tutorial: http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Tutorials&t=Create_Icons

6 ) I don’t have a good image editing program. Can you recommend me one?
Adobe Photoshop is one of the best, yet it is pretty expensive. I would suggest version 7 or higher. However, if you can’t afford it, you can download The Gimp for free from the tools section. There is a mac version too.

7 ) My icon looks plain. How can I give it a realistic 3d look?
You will need to shade the icon. That means adding shadows and light to the icon and not leaving it in plain colors. This is what gives tridimensional sensation to the eye in the real world anyway.

8 ) How can I shade an icon?
First thing to do is position the light, choose from where the light will fall on the object. Depending on that, you will need to darken certain areas, and lighten others. Where the light will fall the area where the color will be brightened, and where the object changes direction, you will need to darken it.

9 ) Ok ok, and how do I darken/light certain areas?
You will need to use the burn and dodge tools to do that. Then you will need to smudge the areas so that it looks smoother, and if you have to, burn/dodge again, followed by a smudge and so on until you are satisfied with how the icon looks.

10 ) This is simply too complicated. I can’t do it. Can you tell me some tutorials?
Of course. There are two excellent tutorials made by Afronight and can be found in the skins section. Even though they are skinning tutorials, the same techniques can be used in iconing as well. These tutorials helped me, so they should help you too.

11 ) How am I supposed to work on a 64x64 surface? It’s too small.
You can start on a 192x192 surface, and after you have finished the icon, you can just shrink it. Even on this surface, you can use the zoom tool to get closer, but don’t get too close. Also, don’t forget to zoom out and see how the icon looks at its real size, because that’s what matters after all.

12 ) I cannot get the correct shape of the icon. Now what?
Search on google for something that might have the proper shape. Then just resize it so it fits your icon, select it entirely and cover it with the color you want, followed by shading. Don’t copy-paste.

13 ) Should I use filters when making my icons, or just rely on freehand shading?
For certain effects in the icons, I surely agree that filters are excellent. You don’t need to be that stubborn to ignore all possible filters. However, try to keep them only for effects (such as magical rays and shields).

14 ) Can you give me some tips?
Make sure your icon is properly shaded and that it means something. Don’t post abstract things which signify nothing. All blizzard mean something, they are not completely abstract. From Holy Light to Death Coil. And be proud of your work! Don’t submit your icon on the site until you are proud of it. Every icon reflects your skills. Don’t forget to read the rules before submitting anything.

~Daelin

Status
Not open for further replies.