• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Force separate teams and colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
[solved] Force separate teams and colors

I'm trying to make a 12 player map be forced into 12 separate teams and player colors being fixed to their originals. IE, in the lobby, I don't want players to be able to change their team number or color. If I have a single force with all players in it, the game won't start because "everyone is on the same team". With no forces, players can set their team number and color.

I already know I can enforce 12 separate teams and original colors with triggers; I'm already doing that. The lobby is what I want to fix. If someone wants to be, say, green, it's currently unintuitive that they MUST be player 7, and NOT use the color dropdown picker.

Last edited:
Level 6
Use the fixed force settings in scenario - force settings, so they can't pick colors and set things you didn't want to set.

Level 11
That puts everyone on one force (or up to 6 forces), and has the aforementioned "everyone on the same team so game can't start" problem.

The "allied" tickbox doesn't seem to matter either way, too.

Level 6
Hmm, I didn't know that, just found out that.

Then the easiest/most elegant solution is to make two separate teams, and trigger everything (make player groups, ally/unally, etc.)

Although I remember seeing a map with more than 6 forces, but I searched and can't find it, so I'll let someone else answer that.

Level 11
While I couldn't find the solution I was originally looking for, I did find a solution to my particular problem:
- It's possible to determine what color a player chose in the lobby by using the Color of Player function, and I wrote a function to convert this to an integer (laboriously comparing it to red, blue, etc). Colors are important in my map and I previously didn't have a way to know what color a player was except for what slot they were in.
- As for teams, I ultimately didn't care all that much about the teams set in the lobby; they're made irrelevant in game anyway. Any hypothetical FFA map can just enforce separate teams at the start with triggers.

So, as far as I can tell, there's no way to have a map with 12 players while enforcing each to have separate teams and predefined colors in the lobby. With 6 or less, you can just put them on forces of their own, but the game maxes at 6 forces. With 11 or less, you can just have a fake computer opponent in a second force.

Status
Not open for further replies.