• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Force 2d , not 3d for custom portraits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Has anyone found a way to effectively force 2d portraits regardless of the players in-game settings?

Removing the .m3 file leaves a blank spot where the portrait should be and GE won't let me upload two images, it only allows an image and a .m3 file.

I've done over a hundred custom portraits only to find they will only be visible to players who have their settings to 2d portraits?!?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
For people who have brought modern computers, we do prefer the 3D portraits over the 2D ones.

I guess you could ask if players please turn off 3D portraits and use 2D ones ingame but you should really aim to provide 3D portraits for all the units over 2D ones. Ultimatly you want both 2D and 3D portraits (what blizzard has done).

Anyway, there is a way to force 2D portraits in place of 3D ones. It basically requires you to make a 3D model which is nothing more than viewing the 2D plane. Thus in reality it is a 3D representation of the 2D image but to people playing the game it would appear as nothing more than the 2D image.

Level 2
Outside of suggesting I use 3d models, or use 3d models...

I'll circle back if I find a solution that I was looking for.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Consider using a simple plain 3D model to show the texture. It might be as small as a hundred odd bytes to perform what you are after. This is basically how loading screens in WC3 worked.

Do remember though that very few people actually use 2D portraits and many might find the lack of 3D portraits annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.