• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Footman Model implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Why are custom models such a pain?

Correct me if I'm wrong but to implement this guy as a working unit I need to do a few things.
I create a new unit, with an actor attached to it that references the new model I make which refers to the footman.m3. Ok.

Then I have to create a new weapon, which reference new weapon sounds (that I have to create individually?) that I imported.

Then you have to add a new soundset for voices/acknowledgments/etc. to the unit, which I haven't figured out how to do yet.

Then there's the defend/undefend problem I haven't figured out how to work around. At the moment he just always stands around in the defend position and then runs in a normal position.

Does anyone have a nice map of a well implemented footman?

To implement a model, there actually are couple things you need to do.
First off make sure the .m3 file you are importing has proper animations and is not just ripped from some source without them. If the animations are not ripped properly, you will run into all kinds of issues later on.
I wouldn't make a new unit if I were you. It takes a long time to tweak all the issues that comes along with it. Duplicate one instead.
Make a new model and assign the import to it.
Make a new sound file and assign all your sound files to it (example being sound_attack1, sound_attack2, etc). You can have all the imports in one sound file and have it randomize which one it uses (thats what the numbers are beside the import name when they are in the list. Example being;
sound_attack1, 55
sound_attack2, 33
sound_attack3, 11)
As for voices and acknowledgements, just replace the file pathing for the acknowledgements for the duplicated unit (as long as you dont plan on using that original unit later on) which is found in the sound area. Again you can have multiple imports per sound file and it will randomize which one it uses, or you can tell it to use a specific order.
As for the defend/undefend problem you will need to see an animation artist. It sounds to me that there is a problem with the model which needs to be fixed in 3ds max. If I remember correctly the defend position is actually the footman's default standing animation. The 'normal' standing animation is an additional one only used when defend is off.
And so far to date, I do not know of any maps with a successful import of a footman.

Status
Not open for further replies.