• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Flight of the Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Once again, I am here to ask for you guys pro help.

I am trying to make a sort of phoenix flight shield. this is what it is supposed to do:

Once the caster casts Flight of the phoenix, 2 phoenixes should fly in diverse directions around the caster as a sort of shield. once it hits an enemy, the phoenix should do AOE dmg to all surrounding units in a ... range.
once a phoenix hits an enemy, that phoenix should dissapear...

is this possible to make?

thank you for all your help!!!

regards

Lordbone

Level 24
A spell which is there to please the eye. For example: Most of the spells from AOM. This spell has a purpose but really it just looks cool (no?).

Eye Candy can be good to add to a spell (SFX) but when it is the purpose of the spell it makes me angry. Your spell is cool yes. But is it that much better than a damage shield spell?

Level 17
A year? You can learn JASS in a few hours. Get some field experience +few hours, vJass + few hours. It's just matter of will and interest. Not time.

By the way this spell is possible but you are going to need damage detection and that's JASS stuff. So, forget GUI, get Jass NewGen Pack and start to read some tutorials, convert triggers, read some more tutorials, do your own JASS code and try to do your phoenix shield thingy.

This spell doesn't sound too hard. The hardest thing would be to make the flight of the phoenixes look nice and steady.

Level 12
Many units. It should be MUI and leakless.

Does that question need asking?

This is not as hard as I originally thought. I belived that you wanted it to block oncoming missiles.
yes, that question was needed to be asked, since

MUI, needs very advanced triggering
MPI, needs a little advanced triggering
SPI, needs almost no advanced triggering triggering
SUI, needs no advanced triggering

i, for one, would not want to make a big trigger only to realise i could have made it a tenth of its size for the same effect

Level 11
yes, that question was needed to be asked, since

MUI, needs very advanced triggering
MPI, needs a little advanced triggering
SPI, needs almost no advanced triggering triggering
SUI, needs no advanced triggering

i, for one, would not want to make a big trigger only to realise i could have made it a tenth of its size for the same effect

if u know Jass it's like stealing candy from a baby to do MUI spells

and also doing MUI spells in GUI is quite easy to

• local unit udg_Tempunit = GetTriggerUnit()

Level 29
Simply store them in an array, store their angles (not facing angle but the angle between them and the caster) in another array, then move them according to it using simply trigonometry, set their facing angle to the new one (based on your movement calculations), play animation every now and then, and it will look just fine.

About collisions - they are one of the easiest things to do (well, by that I mean 3d spheres, boxes and 2d circles and rects).
Circles (which is what you want) are simply picking every unit in some distance (in real programming it would simply be squareroot((object1X - object2X)*(object1X - object2X) + (object1Y - object2Y)*(object1Y - object2Y)) <= object1RADIUS + object2RADIUS.
After getting this formula you go through every object you have in the game and check if it's x,y coordinates are in the x,y of the location you want + the distance you want. Then after you picked all the units, you check for collisions (you won't do this in real programming anyway though, so I just wasted my time writing this)).

Picking every unit in a range is a golden spoon for spherical collisions.

Level 12
yes, we all know we can store them i array variables, but we still need something to check what unit has what phoenixes floating around itself and such(this is not hard, im just saying)

what im saying is, this guy wants us to help him, so im quite sure he is not an expert on triggering, so for him this might be quite complicated

Level 29
yes, we all know we can store them i array variables, but we still need something to check what unit has what phoenixes floating around itself and such(this is not hard, im just saying

You store the "owners" in a third array.

The best way for this would obviously be to use structs (which were originally created for such things - holding a few variables in them), but I do not think anyone here wants vJass :p

Status
Not open for further replies.