• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

"Flash Point"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
This idea is technically in the "experimental"* stage, so I thought I'd get some feedback before i actually started putting a lot of hours into it. I won't say outright what the inspiration is, though. I'll give a synopsis and see if anyone picks up on it immediately.
*Experimental meaning I'm testing out abilities and the like first to make sure it's even feasible.

The Scourge's spread across Lordaeron fractured the human kingdoms and their alliances. After the Alliance dissolved, many factions and groups survived by offering their services to others. Military factions had the most to offer.
One such group came out of the ashes of the highest echelons of Lordaeron's military. The order of Paladins had been working with the military to assemble a small squad of elite soldiers skilled in both combat and arcane arts. They were trained to harness their latent psionic power and focus it to enhance their abilities as warriors. They are capable of magically strengthening their armor, traveling great distances in short time, enhancing their own strength, and even dissapearing from sight.
While attempting to flee the destruction of Lordaeron, this squadron was approached by stranger with an offer. An Alliance archaeological expedition had been examining ancient ruins offshore when the scourge struck. They were virtually untouched by the war until, for reasons unknown, Orcs arrived on the island and seized control. They have captured all the humans on the island and taken over the excavation of the ruins.
As a member of this specialized corps, it is your job to investigate the island and why the Horde is suddenly so interested in possessing it. Be careful, and use your abilities wisely. It is up to you, now, to resolve this crisis.

COOL STUFF PLANNED:
-Character abilities that allow you to strengthen armor, move quickly, go into a berserk mode, cloak, and more.
-Weapon items that can be picked up throughout the map
-Big battles with stuff like artillery. Yes, long-range artillery. We're talking shooting across a quarter of the map here.
-Big maps (conducive to awesome artillery battles).

So? What do you think?

*And if you honestly couldn't guess, I'm basically thinking of making a WC3 version of Crysis.

Level 12
This idea is technically in the "experimental"* stage, so I thought I'd get some feedback before i actually started putting a lot of hours into it. I won't say outright what the inspiration is, though. I'll give a synopsis and see if anyone picks up on it immediately.
*Experimental meaning I'm testing out abilities and the like first to make sure it's even feasible.

The Scourge's spread across Lordaeron fractured the human kingdoms and their alliances. After the Alliance dissolved, many factions and groups survived by offering their services to others. Military factions had the most to offer.
One such group came out of the ashes of the highest echelons of Lordaeron's military. The order of Paladins had been working with the military to assemble a small squad of elite soldiers skilled in both combat and arcane arts. They were trained to harness their latent psionic power and focus it to enhance their abilities as warriors. They are capable of magically strengthening their armor, traveling great distances in short time, enhancing their own strength, and even dissapearing from sight.
While attempting to flee the destruction of Lordaeron, this squadron was approached by stranger with an offer. An Alliance archaeological expedition had been examining ancient ruins offshore when the scourge struck. They were virtually untouched by the war until, for reasons unknown, Orcs arrived on the island and seized control. They have captured all the humans on the island and taken over the excavation of the ruins.
As a member of this specialized corps, it is your job to investigate the island and why the Horde is suddenly so interested in possessing it. Be careful, and use your abilities wisely. It is up to you, now, to resolve this crisis.

COOL STUFF PLANNED:
-Character abilities that allow you to strengthen armor, move quickly, go into a berserk mode, cloak, and more.
-Weapon items that can be picked up throughout the map
-Big battles with stuff like artillery. Yes, long-range artillery. We're talking shooting across a quarter of the map here.
-Big maps (conducive to awesome artillery battles).

So? What do you think?

*And if you honestly couldn't guess, I'm basically thinking of making a WC3 version of Crysis.

Never Played Crysis....
Either way........
Its a story line.... I suppose....
Is this one player?

Level 12
I'm digging it....

Your definitly gunna have to balance the artilary and attack ranges

Just because the altilary will easily spill into your own units unless there was a good amount of seperation in the melee battle line...

Unless you want some units to get hurt by your own cannons....

Either way... It might also be kinda awesome seeing where your altilery is going to land and moving out of the way in time......

Level 24
One player might be kinda easy with artillery. Could you not just stand back and bombard your enemies to death?

Besides that it sounds like a good story line.

Another Question. . .

Is it an RPG or a RTS? Or a mix of both? Are you a hero or a cv=ivilization?

Good idea for a map though and I hope that you suceed. All the abilities you mentioned sound quite do-able (or were there others?).

A random note is. . .

There are no saints in heaven. The christiain religion belives that the body must be buried to go to heaven. Saints are spilt into "artifacts" or "relics" and distributed across many churches. . . Hence they don't go to heaven!

Level 2
It would be an RPG style map, where you'd command a hero and, at most, a few following units.

Thanks for the suggestions on the artillery. I'm testing out tweaking the range and cooldown time to balance it out. Also, the battle I have in mind is one line of artillery attacking another over a large area of the map*

*See link for reference.

Level 24
Dah Dum Dah Dum. . . (random sound track)

Artillery is really underrated in most maps so I think that this would be a good idea.

(Artillery is OVERrated in Age of Empires Three)

What age would this be in. . . catapults. . .trebuchets. . .cannon. . . ICBM?

Level 2
What age would this be in. . . catapults. . .trebuchets. . .cannon. . . ICBM?

It would be during the WC3 storyline, so catapults and siege engines.
I'm still futzing around with those to try and make them a little more awesome, but it's coming slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.