• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Fixed] Model Editor: Black Transparency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Is it possible to make a texture transparent, but black when used on a model?

The abomination texture has a part that is used as a transparent texture and a part of the body that is not supposed to be transparent (circled with red in my texture). It is used for the upper part of its stomach hole and the inside of the stomach hole.

fNfXizW.png

In my case, it results in what is show in this image (the upper lip part of the model is transparent, but since the same texture is reused for the inside of the mouth, it is white)

ivQie0g.png

This image just shows the upper transparent lip part more clearly.

Fpxs6rB.png

(the transparency is created by paint.net tool)

I want the texture to still be transparent on the upper lip, but black while in the mouth (like with the original abomination)

Level 21
The darker parts on the original abomination texture are under the alpha mask (i.e. transparent pixels). You can toggle transparency on and off by changing the filter mode in the material layers. The hanging skin geoset uses the Transparent filter mode which hides the dark parts, while the dark parts are visible on the inside of the stomach since the rest of the model uses the None filter mode.
Texture.jpg
AlphaChannel.jpg
Transparency.jpg

Last edited:
Level 4
Although I did nothing related to alpha masks, by messing around with Material ID on the geoset, I was able to modify the white insides to be transparent. From that point, I was able to edit the model, to seal the transparent hole.
And.. well, I wouldn't think of messing with the Material ID without your help, so thanks.

Level 21
Although I did nothing related to alpha masks, by messing around with Material ID on the geoset, I was able to modify the white insides to be transparent. From that point, I was able to edit the model, to seal the transparent hole.
And.. well, I wouldn't think of messing with the Material ID without your help, so thanks.
That wasn't really what I had in mind; I think recoloring the white part under the alpha channel would have been better, but whatever; as long as you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.