• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

First Proper Map- An edited WarChasers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, I'm brand-spanking-new to the Hive Workshop - though not by any means new to Warcraft 3 or it's amazing Editor.

I'm a well-(ish) known name over at the Age of Empires 2 scene - having made numerous mods and scenarios for the game. Though I've always had a love for WC3 and the Editor - I've never really joined a WC3 community or even posted anything publically. A few games of DotA and some RPG's is all I've done multi-player wise, too.

Now I actually have some more time on my hands, I'm turning to the WC3 editor more. Having not really done anything more than tinker with units and make small maps to play alone - I'm pretty inexperianced compared to most. I absaloutely love the editor - it screams potential and viewing other peoples works make me gawp with jealousy at their skill with it.

Here goes my first thread, on my first WC3 community - talking about my first serious map project. It's early days for me, so nothing special - I'm editing a classic:

WarChasers - Tank'd Up

This is going to be my first publicly-released map.
Including:
  • Redone/Edited Triggers - 50% Done
  • New Heroes - 0% Done
  • New Abilities - 0% Done
  • New/Edited Items - 5% Done
  • Storyline changes - 100% Done
  • Scaling Difficulty - 100% Done
  • Small Map Changes - 100% Done
  • Loads-a-levelling - 75% Done
  • Epic-ish Bossfights - 5% Done

Some Details:
Redone/Edited Triggers
- Have you seen how messy the original triggers for WarChasers are??

I'm almost-completely redoing them all, or at least editing them to be "cleaner" - As well as adding many more of my own triggers - Including my first ever Trigger Spells/Abilities.

New Heroes
- I didn't like half of the heroes from the first WarChasers.

That; and I love making my own units/heroes/abilities. There will be 8 chooseable heroes each with their own unique and new set of abilities. There is also a rediculously high level-cap for those who love to grind. As well as that - Heroes come with their own colours and special effects to add to their "coolness".

New Abilities

- Most of the Hero Abilities will be new and unique, though some will be renamed and slightly edited-to-suit-that-hero copies of other abilities.

Not alot, though. I really want to push myself to create at least 32 unique abilities. (Each Hero will have 6 abilities. 4 or 5 useable, 1 or 2 Auras/Passives)

New/Edited Items
- Most items will be Edited from original WC3 Items.

Though alot will be Stackable, too. For instance: Health Potions, Scrolls and One-Use Items. Some items will also degrade and eventually be destroyed - such as Aura, Buff and Stat-Items.

Storyline Changes
- You're still souls, still possessing fallen heroes.

But; You're possessing these heroes to give them a chance at a new life. The world you are in is "The Dead Realm" - Ruled over by Kil'Jaeden and his lackeys. An Angel occasionally pops in to say hello and congratulate the heroes progress, instead of that Soul Keeper guy. The Dead Realm is time-locked, and the heroes have all recently died. Fighting through to the end and defeating the end boss will give your hero another chance at life in the real world.

Scaling Difficulty
- Quite literally.

As the players level-up, So do the bosses. Spawning "huts" and mini-bosses also gain a little more health to make them just-that-little-bit-harder.

Small Map Changes
- Some things are a little different.

The area you choose your hero and the Tank run, for instance.
The Tank run is totally gone, by the way. I hated that. With a passion.

Loads-A-Levelling
- You can get to level 10000.

Though you'll probably die/win before level 40. EXP is fast to gain at low levels, but becomes increasingly harder. You also gain less stats and improvements per level, and most Abilities have a three-level gap between upgrading them to the next level. Some Abilities may also be able to reach extremely high levels. I want to try and make a system that, for example; You put a point into Skill A - and Skill B suddenly has a bigger Level Requirement.

Also I've made a set of triggers for each player - every level-up their very-slightly grow in size and move very-slightly faster. This - besides giving you a rough idea of your/someone else's/an enemy's level - makes you look badass and huge. The camera-view moves with your hero so that you'll never be stuck looking at your toes (assuming you ever get that strong).

Epic-Ish Boss Fights

- You'll get to fight Kil'Jaeden, Ner'Zhul's Spirit, Arthas as The Lich King and quite a few more.

Bosses will level up as the heroes do - with their own custom abilities designed to make the fights a lot harder for the players. If you want to run in and beast up the bosses without needing skills - you're going to have a really hard time here. Some Bosses will have trigger-abilities, too. The kind that always happen at some point. The kind that most likely will kill you if you aren't ready for it.

So that's it so far. Screenshots are a-comin' soon. What do you think to all of this?

Last edited:
Level 5
Why do players care whether you 'tidy up' the triggers or that you can get to level over 9000 but you will only be level 40 when you finish the game...

Anyway, good luck! You have WarChasers in the title so don't screw this up! :p

Level 1
The thing there is no-one playing the map really will care about the triggers, true - but from a map designers viewpoint, in my opinion, having clean and tidy triggers is the difference between easily finding and fixing bugs, and being put through a hard time crawling through a mess to find the one broken thing.

Plus I think of it more as a test for my beginners abilities, being able to remake triggers in a "better" way without breaking everything.

As for the levelling thing, In my head - knowing you'll never reach the level cap brings some sort of excitement. Like "How far will I get?" "How much will I grind before wanting to move on?". Then there's the difficulty that comes into play too - Because if you sit around getting to level 40 before you get to the second bossfight - the very final boss is really going to eat you alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.