• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Finish Gaias Retaliation 1? D4

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Dear Zwiebelchen,

It has been almost 15 years since we started playing Gaias. The small community has been so much fun and nice to play with. Still, after all these years, I feel like it was sad to see the story and map unfinished. I know how ambitious you were regarding the content and how you were also bothered by the fact that people completed your content very fast. However, I think finishing the floating island, adding 3-4 bosses or so would be a worthy ending to the map.

People are actually still playing Gaias today, as a matter of fact, and I don't think you should underestimate how good your map is and has been since 2009.

Also, I don't understand the "everything is bugged now". When I play the map in old graphics, everything seems to be working fine.

Last edited:
Level 10
hey Jumbo how have you been! I don't really play anymore myself but I still keep in touch with the community a bit obviously and I would 100% play D4 if Zwiebel ever released it. I echo your comments and agree with everything you said though I don't think Z will ever complete the map unfortunately as much as we'd like to see it happen. It is pretty crazy to see people still playing a wc3 custom map and the fact that the games does still have such a devoted following has got to feel pretty good Zwiebel. To add on to what you said about how bothered he was with how fast people were completing the content that spent months or years working on that was never an issue. I can see how that is frustrating but people are STILL playing gaias even after you scrapped the project. You created something really special with this map and it would be great to see it get some kind of ending that it deserves.

About the map being bugged and unplayable apparently there's an unofficial version going around right now where the game doesn't have the desync bugs associated with reforged just a FYI

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I am good S0ul, also took a super long break since Zwiebel stopped developing. How are you? =)

Now, I've actually started playing again (from scratch, cant be bothered to try and restore my old lvl 50s). I am playing the version you mention. Weirdly, it is still as fun as all those years ago. This is why I came to the forums to write - the map really still is that good. I just started a new squire and dwarf cleric.

Level 1
Gaias would be an amazing standalone game. I wonder where the creator is now, he should get an amazing job in game design :D