• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Few questions and thoughts on the GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I wasn't really impressed with the custom script editor, in fact I culdn't figure out a way to actually edit the galaxy code through the "view code" interface. And is there like a catalog or library of all the native functions, or do we need Vexorian to do that again :thumbs_down:...

Finally, what are these:
- Preset
- function

I know for sure function is basically creating a new function like in JASS but how do we run it in a GUI action script?

My final thoughts on the GUI, not impressed... It does present more flexibility and power to GUI users but still, I hate the idea of making the usual loop scenario in 10 minutes, while you can do it in JASS easily in 1 minute... GUI in galaxy editor = inefficient.

Level 9
Making a galaxy script is basically ridiculous at this point.

But yes, a function is used in GUI whenever you need a parameter for an action. An action defenition actually adds itself to the main menu where you right click, while a function adds itself in the list of options like Get Triggering Unit.

I personally think they should both be the same thing, with functions returning nothing acting like actions, but whatever.

Also, we will probably all use Moonlite which will compile with Andromeda. At least, it seems like those are the main tools at this point. http://www.sc2mod.com/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=13

They dont seem to be going anywhere fast though, but we will see when SC2 is released.

Level 12
There are tutorials that show you how to import galaxy script.

Will they be adding a library of the native functions? It would be really usefull... right now I have like a MS doc that lists all the native functions I encountered by viewing the galaxy code through the editor... Need time to get used to alot of things.

The data editor is very confusing, srsly I haven't figured out how to set a model of a custom unit or its icon up to this point... I'm clueless of it!!! somewhat rescue me!!! lulz

Level 4
There's a tutorial for putting icons in the data editor which I just put in the tutorials section. Check that out and see if it helps. I haven't made one for general data editor yet, be patient :D

Sorry for the fairly crappy video, I'll be redoing it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.