1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Few questions and thoughts on the GUI

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Modding' started by DoOs_101, May 12, 2010.

1. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I wasn't really impressed with the custom script editor, in fact I culdn't figure out a way to actually edit the galaxy code through the "view code" interface. And is there like a catalog or library of all the native functions, or do we need Vexorian to do that again :thumbs_down:...

Finally, what are these:
    - Preset
    - function

I know for sure function is basically creating a new function like in JASS but how do we run it in a GUI action script?

My final thoughts on the GUI, not impressed... It does present more flexibility and power to GUI users but still, I hate the idea of making the usual loop scenario in 10 minutes, while you can do it in JASS easily in 1 minute... GUI in galaxy editor = inefficient.

2. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Making a galaxy script is basically ridiculous at this point.

But yes, a function is used in GUI whenever you need a parameter for an action. An action defenition actually adds itself to the main menu where you right click, while a function adds itself in the list of options like Get Triggering Unit.

I personally think they should both be the same thing, with functions returning nothing acting like actions, but whatever.

Also, we will probably all use Moonlite which will compile with Andromeda. At least, it seems like those are the main tools at this point. http://www.sc2mod.com/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=13

They dont seem to be going anywhere fast though, but we will see when SC2 is released.

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    There is no need for third party script extensions. Unlike WC3 you can do everything anywhere on the script (within reason). I pretty much only used vJASS for its anywhere global decleration system.

4. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:

Just write your functions, export it, import it, and then call the functions as you need them.

I am with blizzard on this: "Are you having trouble with that?"

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Can you reference map data (points, regions) via that? I am not too sure as the code might have namespace separation or something.

6. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are tutorials that show you how to import galaxy script.

Will they be adding a library of the native functions? It would be really usefull... right now I have like a MS doc that lists all the native functions I encountered by viewing the galaxy code through the editor... Need time to get used to alot of things.

The data editor is very confusing, srsly I haven't figured out how to set a model of a custom unit or its icon up to this point... I'm clueless of it!!! somewhat rescue me!!! lulz

7. JackRCDF

JackRCDF

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There's a tutorial for putting icons in the data editor which I just put in the tutorials section. Check that out and see if it helps. I haven't made one for general data editor yet, be patient :D

Sorry for the fairly crappy video, I'll be redoing it soon.

8. thelifelessone

thelifelessone

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources: