• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Fences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi.
Need my players to be able to build vertical and horizontal fences.
I have made a custom unit and given fence (short) model and path map and this becomes the horizontal fence.

How can I alter a single unit's default build angle?

I can't find any relevant field in object editor :S

Level 8
Yes that's a field in the Doodad Editor. Unfortunately you can't add doodads to a build list.

There is no Art - Fixed Rotation for units.

I've seen it in a few maps, how do they do it??

Level 8
Thanks but then player doesn't get pathing map during pre-placement. Would cause more trouble than it's worth.

Level 8
Why don't you just make a fence unit, and once it's built, give it a rotate ability.
Because rotation none symmetrical buildings is messy when you start thinking of collisions ^^

I come to the conclusion the only way to do such a thing is to edit the model of the fence and pathing map (i have no clues on modeling).

I'm thinking to get a different way to make fences in my map. Built 2 posts and trigger will create walls between them.

Level 11
Hey,

I have the same issue, and I'd really like it to be solved. I played a map where it actually worked just as we want it. Check out this map and see for yourselves.

I'll try to get in contact with the creator and come again if I get more information. Meanwhile, you should look for a solution!

EDIT: If someone can speak Russian then please help me out, since the creator is from Russia, and his personal website is in Russian! :p

EDIT2: Check out his/hers forum and his/hers personal website.

Yours,
Chizume

Last edited:
Level 9
So you want to make both horizontal and vertical buildable fences right?

The easiest method to do this is to create 2 pathing maps (exactly the same but different orientations: one horizontal and one vertical):
the horizontal orientated one it's going to be assigned to "Fence - Horizontal" and the other one assigned to "Fence - Vertical".

If you don't know how to create pathing maps, i`ll do them for you, only tell me how much squares (in WE grinds -smallest-) takes the fence model.
Hope you know what i mean.

Level 11
Will the model itself really be rotated when doing this? Nevertheless, here is an image of the Horizontal Fence. At least I, would like the exact same one, but in Vertical orientation. Just tilt the image, and you'll know what I/we want.

horizontalfenceq.jpg

My theory is that the Fence model could be exported, then rotated in a modeling software - then imported back into the WE as a "new" model. Does this work, and if it does - would someone be willing to do it?:con:

Yours,
Chizume

Level 11
My theory is that the Fence model could be exported, then rotated in a modeling software - then imported back into the WE as a "new" model.

This theory is the correct one, I got in contact with the creator of the map I posted above and this is exactly how he made it work.

How to:
  • Extract the standard Horizontal Fence (Suggested tool: WC3 MPQ)
  • The Extracted model can easily be rotated with almost any WC3 Model Editor, just rotate it by 90 degrees.
  • Import the model.
  • Make an exact copy of the Horizontal Fence unit, but name it Vertical and change the model to the new one! Don't forget the Pathing Map.

I'd say it's a solved issue! :grin:

Special thanks to CEMEH_CEMEHbl4 for all the help solving this problem!

Yours,
Chizume

Status
Not open for further replies.