• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Feedback Request] Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have come to realize that the Week 3 map may have been a tad difficult judging by the poor performance in the submissions and the very scarce number of them compared to the week 2 and week 1 assignment submissions.

What do you think of Week 3?
What don't you like about it?

This class is not ephemeral, so changing maps is not a problem at all.

I am planning on modifying the Week 3 map in order to make things easier for you guys to learn the language properly.

I'm getting rid of the extraneous programming information as well because that seems to be scaring people away.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I dislike the whole class I was highly disapointed when I saw what the lesson actually contained. I just read through the lesson 3 and I only found ine useful thing. The if block. When I heard about the jass class I want to learn about, structs, scopes, global and local variables, libs, methods,functions.

With other words I want to learn VJASS in general not stuff like this.
Example: not true = false why the heck is that needed? Then I would just use false.

Those are exercises to verify that students know what not does and how the other keywords work. Remember, this class is aimed at people with limited intelligence, so we try to be as specific as possible and we try to input as many exercises as possible to assure that no concept has been misunderstood. This is also mainly a "From GUI to JASS" class so we need to be slow.

As for structs, scopes, locals and globals, globals have been covered, locals will be explicit when function declaration is taught, and structs and scopes will be taught later.

This class covers absolutely everything.

Level 31
Function declarations are too much for a beginner to handle, and structs right off the bat are definitely too much for a beginner to handle.

Functions have to deal with
scope
variable declarations
returning values

as well as lots of keywords

if someone has never worked with any programming before and is even a bit afraid of doing programming as it looks scary and complicated (a lot of people are like that), doing functions right off the bat is definitely going to scare them away. Functions are the most complicated of the JASS** structures, therefore functions should be covered last. We've been covering the JASS features progressively. For example, you can't do loops until you know boolean expressions, and boolean expressions are best taught with if statements.

Week 3 is getting revamped, I came up with a different curriculum for it. Week 4 is also being changed. It'll be more than just loops =).

This is our current idea of what should be covered in week 3 with notes on each lesson

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=2x4eeg

As we cover the various elements of boolean expressions and if statements, we're going to make people identify the behavior of boolean expressions and craft boolean expressions from a set of conditions. The very end is simplifying those boolean expressions so that you aren't left with long chains of else ifs or long chains of ors/ands. Also going to introduce De Morgan's Law. That will be the only boolean algebra concept that is introduced. I'm introducing it because it is extremely useful and extremely awesome. We could cover boolean algebra and so on, but while I've needed De Morgan's Law for a plethora of things in JASS etc, I've only needed full blown boolean algebra once =P.

We're also going to be changing the grading.

1. do map, all problems etc, but not the project
2. turn in map
3. you get answers for problems (not graded, we just give you the answers)
4. attempt the project
5. project is graded

We're not giving the answers outright as the lazier people will just not attempt the problems and as a result remember little to nothing =). You'll have to show that you have attempted to get the right answers =P. We will also check that you did actually work at it, not just fill in the problems with bs, lol.

We're also still debating the difficulty of the projects. We want everyone to develop their problem solving skills so that they can actually solve problems when working on their maps ; P. If they need a complicated system, they will need problem solving skills in order to architect that system and even recognize that they need it in the first place.

The projects are aimed to
1. review all content for the previous week
2. require the person to use critical thinking in order to design something using those concepts
3. come up with an algorithm/data structure within that design that they have never used before

Week 2 and week 3 have done this in a progressive manner, but doing this seems to make the projects very difficult. They are meant to be difficult, like grappling with a super nasty problem ;O. In hardcore mapping, you run into these super nasty problems all the time. However, it was not our intention to scare everyone away with the difficulty of these projects.

There are also of course more ways than 1 to do these projects, which is why constraints are introduced, so that you have to solve it using the #1 best way. Project 3 requires way too many constraints to hit that best way, so not sure what to do their =P. Not even sure how to describe the behavior of project 3, haha.

Anyways, that's the story at the moment.

Level 31
You shouldn't do that as many people will just look at the answers without trying. They'll think, "too hard" and give up.

I still grade them, but mag has gone pretty much hiatus on this class, so he won't grade them or even look at them, lol. I don't have access to the hand-in thing ; P, hence why I haven't graded your stuff.\

Furthermore, we kinda wanted to do rewards for successfully completing this class with high scores, like a JASS Certification cool thing ^)^. We can't do that if the answer keys are handed out.

Level 11
Well people may look at the keys without trying.. that's where they fail because they wont learn shit, and it is up to them if they want to learn or not, you're not responsible if they want to learn or not, besides they came to this section in the first place to learn JASS so I don't think many people would look at them. And even if they do you will notice it in the project.

Level 11
Then we can't hand out the cool rewards : (.
I understand ^^, I am just suggesting :)

I'm not so sure to have the answers with these would be such a good idea.
How are you meant to learn when you can't do what you are meant to do strait from the instructions. D:
Just try harder, work. I only want to check my answers if they're right, because if I can't check my answers how will I know if I am doing it right or wrong?

Level 11
I prefer not, because I feel uncomfortable with someone grading something I just strated with. I also work and learn my mistakes aswell as the things I did good easier by my own, and to use this knowledge in further obstacles

Status
Not open for further replies.