• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Far Clipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Is there a way to extend Far Clipping further then you can with triggers?
I have only done it in GUI so far, not sure if Jass overwrites it to go even further.

I would like to do a space themed cinematic, and warcraft 3 is so small, I wanted to try and make a spaceship flying towards a planet more realistic, so I supersized the planet but I can't get the whole planet into perspective, it just farclips out the way.
If I make the planet smaller it just looks weird with the size if the spaceship.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3 is an old RTS game so not designed for huge far distance values. Even a blank large map will cause World Edit to crawl when viewed from corner to corner (with no Z clipping).

That said do not lose hope of your idea. Not all needs to be as it seems, the wonderful world of perspectives and trickery.

If you are viewing from the ships perspective, you can change the size of the planet as you approach it to give a feeling of distance. Instead of having a very big planet very far away that will cause WC3 to crawl and have many problems, you could have a smaller planet a short distance away.

As your ship moves through space, you are physically not moving much but the planets change size to give the feeling that you have moved a long way. Since planets are round and if there is enough distance between, players should be none the wiser that the planets are the ones changing size and not that you are moving far.

So how to scale the planets? It is all based upon projection of an object onto a plane through a pinhole. The pinhole projection model. Instead of having the screen behind the pinhole, on computers you can have it in front so the graphics are the right way round. Once you have the ratios, the rest is much more simple. Obviously WC3 might use a different projection model, but it should be good enough for what you want to achieve.

In summary. Ship moves less and only when near planets. Planets change size when far away at a fixed distance.

Level 11
@DrSuperGood
Yeah, there are only a few problems which will take time to get right.
1. Small models can't be viewed up close, therefore it will be difficult to get the spaceship in camera view.
2. Timing for more realism, this will take a huge amount of time to get right, making everything move at the right speed and shrink/grow at the right speed.

@PurgeandFire
If you can show certain models past the limit it would be a lot easier and defiantly less laggy if you showed all the space on a map up to that point.

For now I will try and use tricks with speed and shrinking sizes to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.