• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Please post all your suggestions for FAQ here so I can add them to the FAQ section of the site.

Just post what forum/section the FAQ would belong to before you post the question.
For example: Maps - Q:How do I create a unit? A:You are obviously not suited for mapmaking!

Thanks
oz02

Level 9
Q: do i have to look for an answer myself, before asking in a forum
A: yes, of course

Q: Is there a tutorial (or more) on how to alpha out with either psp or Photoshop
A: Yes, use the search function

I'll think of more, probably a lil bit more serious than these :p

U.V

U.V

Level 7
Q: how do i register\log in\upload resources\ edit resources?

A: ill save that part for you :wink:

basicly i think that this 'F**k you' (FA--Q :lol: ) should have all the basic stuff that new people here may need to know.

hopes this helps ya
good luck :wink:

EDIT: i hope you like my joke :p

Level 2
Q: What is good skin editor
A: Photoshop of cause :)

Q: Who made this page?
A: I dunno... Maybe someone whose name is starting with D and ends with various number?(Darky u fool :p )

Q:how do i know what path to put on a skin that i downloaded?
A: first download the wc3viewer on this site in the tools section. then open up the wc3 viewer, and from the treeview window that pops up, click on blp part, then double click on it, then search through the textures unitl you find the unit you want to skin, through the parts you searched through should be the path (eg. units\orc\peon\peon.blp, or textures\herodemonhunter.blp). then open up the WE and from the import manager, change the path of the unit to that you had on the wc3 viewer.

Ike

Ike

Level 4
Q) Why do my buttons turn green when I pause/my hero isn't high enough level to learn a skill/etc?

A) Your problem is most likely that you either a) haven't imported a Disabled Button or b) don't have your buttons in the right paths.

The paths go like this:
File 1: BTNPeon.blp
The path for this should be changed from wc3imported\BTNPeon.blp to ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeon.blp

File 2: DISBTNPeon.blp
The path for this should be changed from wc3imported\DISBTNPeon.blp to ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNPeon.blp

File 3: PASBTNPeon.blp
The path for this should be changed from wc3imported\PASBTNPeon.blpto
ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASBTNPeon.blp

Level 3
Maps(?)
Q - How do i know what attachmentspoints a unit has?
A - (Please fill this area someone ;))

Editor:
Q - What does all the fields in the editor mean? How do they work?
A - (please fill this area someone ;))

Importing
Q - My imported hero model/skin is only red (teamcolor), what might be wrong?
A - (Im not totally sure, but i think it has to do with a layer is missing in a blp)

Q - I have two skins for the same unit. How do i duplicate the unit so that i can use both skins?
A - Use War3FileConverter (tools section) and open the mdx. Extract so you will get a mdl-file. In this file, search for the blp's. Change the path for it and save the mdl under another name. Use the program once again and create a mdx, this time preferable with a new name too. Not necessery if you use different paths for the model. (someone might want to edit this .. an exampel on how this could look would also be good.)

Download:
Q - Ive seen a model/skin and i think its absolutely awefull. I really hate it. I have a need of telling the maker how much it sucks and that he must be gay. What do i do?
A - Come to me and punch you in your face really hard. Then you will not remember what you wanted to do and can return home in peace (with some braindamage, but that wont make any difference).

Maps:
Q - Ive added a new unit to a building. Will the computer AI use it? How is it with spells?
A - (You tell me.. testing sucks. :) Ahh, comon, someone must know! Share knowledge!)

FaQ:
Q - The FaQ is already finished. Now i have thought of a new great thing to add to the FaQ. Who do i tell?
A - ... (it could come in handy)

World Edit:
Q - Changing icons of heroes etc takes very long time. Can i reduce it?
A - Remove the (pointless?) brushlist. Window/Brushlist - uncheck.

Importing:
Q - I want hero glow on a unit. How do i do that?
A - (imho) Go to model section, search for easy and hero and glow. Use that one. Its very easy!

Sound:
Q - Ive already made a new soundset for a unit by renting a multimilliondollar studio hireing arnold and britney spears. Now i dont know how to make the units use the sounds. How...?
A - Someone..? :oops:

Ill probably think of more.. laters

Level 21
Common question?

Q: How to add sounds?
A: Import a .wav or .mp3 into your map. No path changing is needed unless you want to overwrite existing sounds, but usually, no path changing needed. Then go to sound editor. Under the Imported category on the left, right click and the sound and use as sound or use as music . Your custom sound/music should be on the sound list now. If you have trouble hearing it in the game, change its setting to User Interface . Remember, only .wav and .mp3 are allowed and work. Then go to trigger editor and its very easy to find the sound trigger which will play your sound. If it does not play in the editor or you get a error message, I'd ignore it. As long as it works in the game, its fine.

Level 16
Q: What the **** is an integer loop?

A: something to replace CnPing a couple actions over and over

Q: Why can't this map open in wc3 or we?

A: You don't have the recent patch, or it's protected

Q: How can I protect a map?

A; Map protection is a taboo topic on wc3sear.ch you will be treated like a terrorist, more or less

Q: Can I use these models and spells in my map?

A: Sure. Give credit to the author, or like me, give credit to wc3sear.ch if you are using hella models. Don't waste post space by saying, "YAY!! This model is perfect for my ____ as a ____!!!"

Level 17
Sopho said:
Another common question.

Q: WE aint good. Is there a better one?
A: Yes, there are many others, like WE Unlimited, UMSWE, Zepir's WE, download them in tool section. They will help you greatly.

Nah... i must tell you're wrong there

A: No WE is simply the best. Zepir's WE is the only exception which provides useful for example to overload terrain textures.

Level 3
Q - I try to download iconpacks, but all i get is a 404! :cry:

A - Spread the word, and some day, something might happen :D

Q - I think this is the best warcraft website ever! Is there something wrong with me? :shock:

A - I dont know, i think so too :D

Level 12
Darky28 said:
Sopho said:
Another common question.

A: Yes, there are many others, like WE Unlimited, UMSWE, Zepir's WE, download them in tool section. They will help you greatly.

Nah... i must tell you're wrong there

A: No WE is simply the best. Zepir's WE is the only exception which provides useful for example to overload terrain textures.

UMSWE and Weu allow high terrain, WeU enables overloaded terrain textures too, has my hero selection system -) and has the natives converted into gui like UMSWE, what I discovered is that people that use UMSWE and WeU have more chances to learn JASS later, according to my own invented statistics, UMSWE and WeU also allow more global variable types.

Level 13
Q: How do i take screenshots?

A: In game, hit print screen

Q: How do i convert the tga file to a jpeg format?

A: Use Ifranview and "save as" a jpeg

Q: How do i give my project a screenshot?

A: When you submit your file, it has a listing for jpeg. Thats where you put it.

Q: Where do i get Ifranview

A: Go to the tools section of this web site, or search for "Download Ifranview" on a search engine

Level 13
Q: where can i go to ask someone to make something for me?

A: Check in the requests forum for workshops :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.