• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Fake Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Hi!

I'm interesting in making an AoS map but avoiding "Revival Times", instead, I want to trasform the died unit into an ethereal form and make it useless, unless it reaches the base, where it receives the body, but then it has to go look for it's body like in Diablo, to regain items.

I was wondering how to make the ethereal form thing without using "Banish" since it could be dispelled or something like that. Another way around would be, how to cast an "unremoveable" banish to the unit?

Level 33
1. When the Hero dies, it will play its Death animation and the body just stays there
2. An Ethereal Form is formed at the location of the dead body.
3. You can control the form.
4. You order the form to go back to base and once it reaches the base, the dead body is revived and the form is killed.

Is this the correct chronological order ?

Level 20
Almost. When the hero revives, I remove the items, and save them in a Ward that remains where it died. When the hero picks the ward, receives the items.

Level 20
Have you ever played diablo? When you die, you revive at town with no items. You have to go where you died and pick your body (and everything in it).

1. When the Hero dies, it's automatically revived at the place, but the whole "dead" animation is played (as the spirit leaving the body).
2. The body becomes ethereal and a dummy "dead body" is placed where it died.
3. In order to "Come back to life" The unit has to go back to base, where it's restored, but without items.
4. The unit has to go back to where it died and pick it's body with it's items.

Have you ever played diablo? When you die, you revive at town with no items. You have to go where you died and pick your body (and everything in it).

1. When the Hero dies, it's automatically revived at the place, but the whole "dead" animation is played (as the spirit leaving the body).
2. The body becomes ethereal and a dummy "dead body" is placed where it died.
3. In order to "Come back to life" The unit has to go back to base, where it's restored, but without items.
4. The unit has to go back to where it died and pick it's body with it's items.

In Diablo 1 you simply lose and have to reload a save. In Diablo 2 you automatically show up at town without having to waste time running back.

You should also consider a few things. No matter what level they are there will be the amount of time that it takes them to come back. So the penalty for dying is dependant on distance from base, instead of level of the character. I would avoid something like that for an AoS game.

Level 20
We're used to "Revival time", but there's no "obligation" to make it like that. I could make higher level "Ethereal Body" slower, or increase the price to "invoke" the body to the base, in fact, these could be just game modes.

Getting away from base is a risk everyone would take. More than one would think twice before going into a rush attack with low hp. It's a risk, since it would be harder to recover body and items.

Having this "ethereal form" allows you to "do something" while you're dead, instead of waiting. It also allows "Revive" abilities.

I don't know how usefull it would be, but i've been always interested in making a "undead dimension", being able to walk around as dead, or alive. I mean, change the meaning of "dead" not to a dead timer, or reviving somewhere, but actually being a dead being wandering around.

Status
Not open for further replies.