• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Development] FACELESS

Level 26
Hey ya!
I had a big project going before reforged that I had pretty much given up on (because of reforged). Now, with Unity, I feel like continuing, now with even more freedom than before!
Since this community has been more than awesome to share wc3 projects with in the past, I'd like to share my game making progress here. :)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RuinRunLogo1.png

[LINK]

Faceless is a short game where you navigate through an arena, some parkour obstacles and finally a boss fight.

Idea
The final product in mind is a metroidvania-like game where you collect ability upgrades, such as double jumping and dashing, and progress through the prison (yes, the prison, the story is a work in progress).
There will be a lot of boss fights, as I enjoy making them and have always enjoyed playing aginst bosses in the past.
There will be almost as much parkour throughout the map.

Screenshots

1655156615490.png

1655156538842.png

1655156552309.png

STORY: The game premise (wip)
Reports from the far away shaded lands say that the red god has begun breaking free from its prison, and nothing seems to be able to stand in its way.
But all hope is not lost. The faceless man has begun travelling towards the prison.
The red god senses his coming, and bolster its defences, locking the prison down with powerful seals, using the former, now corrupted, guardians of the prison to do its bidding.
The red god must be stopped before his influence grows stronger, and he must be stopped by the only one he fears: you.

STORY: The shaded lands

The shaded lands are the edge of the world as it is known. No one knows how far it stretches, and there's no way of telling. Before the shaded lands, the Meadow stretches for several miles. It is a calm and peaceful place, with nothing but grass, scattered rocks and an occasional tree. Then, as you progress through the calm, open areas, you notice how the shadows are becoming longer, even if it’s the middle of the day. They become longer and sharper, and somehow thicker. The further you walk the more you notice how the very air begins casting a shadow on the ground. Eventually, you won’t be able to make out the grass beneath your feet, and that’s when you know you have crossed into the shaded lands. For a couple of miles, a lamp will help you find your way, but soon, the light will not find its way through the looming darkness, and soon you will not even see the flame of the lamp. Darkness will be complete, but there is no known reason to worry. Anyone who turned back from the darkness before getting lost in it has always come back unscathed. There is no rain, no wind, and nothing but short grass underneath your feet.
⠀⠀Multiple expeditions have been undertaken to find the end of the end of the world, but it has been found by none. Alexander Pax made the longest successful journey into the shaded lands. Mounted on a blind horse (as no seeing horse would dare step into the darkness) he traveled straight out into the darkness for two whole weeks but he was forced to turn back when his supplies ran low. Many years later, when his son, Benjamin, was a man, he decided to try to beat his old man, and traveled out into the dark the same way his father did, but never returned, most likely because he ventured too far and starved to death before making his way back. It is unknown if anyone has gotten further than Alexander did, but if anyone did, they most likely died out there, swallowed by the darkness.
⠀⠀The shaded lands have become something of a storage place for things that can’t be placed elsewhere. There are surely more than a few secrets out there, but the by far most famous one must be that one of the prison. The prison supposedly held magical beings and the most horrific criminals, and had stood for a hundred thousand years. Mothers used this legend to keep their young in line, threatening to send them to the prison if they misbehaved. For the longest time everyone thought it was just a legend as so many other things that supposedly exist in the darkness, but a few years ago, the legend turned out to be true. A small group of cloaked men came to Averinth, a town in the beginning of the Meadow, and claimed that they belonged to an ancient order of wardens. They had come to recruit new guards for the prison, and confirmed that there really was such a thing. A few disbelievers challenged them to prove it, and they did by leading them blindfolded into the darkness, and returning them after a couple of days. The disbelievers confirmed that the prison was real, but they were not allowed to know much more than that. A few men and women agreed to join the order and travel to the prison to live and serve there, and only they know what the true purpose of the prison is. Many found it strange that the place had been nothing but a legend for so long. How come the wardens had never had reached out to the world until now? What had changed?

STORY: The faceless

Few things are known about the faceless. Despite their daunting look, tall, pitch black, slender limbs and radiating a faint white light, they are composed and mostly peaceful. They don't eat and they don't speak, but they seem to understand human speech. They accept gold for doing various tasks, mostly things that require strength or combat skills, which is why they are often hired to protect people from wild beasts, or for more mundane tasks, such as pulling the plow. However, as they refuse to attack humans, they are not very useful in wars or in criminal activity, as they simply walk away if they are asked to hurt a human, no matter how much gold they are offered. If attacked by humans, they defend themselves, and it usually ends with the human being pushed to the ground without being able to land a hit.
⠀⠀Torden, the greatest swordsman alive, once offered a faceless man gold in exchange for a sparring session. The faceless man didn’t accept at first, but when Torden raised his offer to two hundred gold pieces, the faceless man accepted. It summoned its sword which appeared in a black mist, and stood ready for its challenger to attack. Torden charged, and threw out blow after blow, each one blocked by the faceless. As soon as Tordens flurry of strikes subsided, the faceless man took a step forward, swinging his sword incredibly quickly. Torden, by some miracle, managed to block the strike, but was flung sideways from the force. The faceless man took another step forward and spun around, swinging his sword as he did, hitting Torden with full force with the sword handle. Torden fell to the ground, gasping for air. The faceless man stood still over him, and waited. Torden looked up, and couldn’t keep from laughing. There was no doubt he was the best swordsman around, yet he had no way of matching this incredible being's speed and strength. He threw his sword to the ground, raised and did a small bow. The faceless man looked at him for a moment, then his sword vanished, and he bowed as well before he turned and walked away.
⠀⠀As they are indiscernible from each other, it is hard to know how many there are, and as they don’t communicate with humans, no one knows for how long they have been around. Some think they come from the shaded lands, others think they are shadows that have come alive and yet others think they are hellspawns, summoned by warlocks in the magic ages.

Last edited:
Level 26
Experimented with the damaging red blocks in the parkour area. They now have tentacles to make sense in the story (this is part of the red god), but I'm still not quite satified with the look. Any ideas for how I can make them look better while making it very clear where the hitbox is?

1655149322340.png

EDIT: Actually, I never knew just how many particles unity could handle. I just assumed 600 particles per second on screen would be too much ( from all the diffrent obstacles), but it turns out that a thousand from only one object is not even an issue. SO i tuned the boxes to particles:
1655151111902.png

EDIT 2: I also played around with some post-processing thingies. It makes stuff look a lot better!
1655155620062.png

EDIT 3: Accidently found a really cool looking scene when I tried to change some stuff. Good splash art for something.
1655156427958.png

Last edited:
Level 26
And today I've spent 4 hours so far on fixing bugs with shadows. So far. Maybe the end is near. Maybe.

EDIT: Yup. That did it. FINALLY.
The thing about this is that I spent all this time optimizing the game (since realtime shadows are using a lot of juice), but I barely detect a difference performance wise : ))

Last edited:
Level 26
I've created a rudimentary open world for the first area. The game will consist of three small open worlds where you can unlock new satellite levels as you progress. I've also created most of the fundamental systems needed, so soon there will be a playable game from start to finish! From there I will upgrade, upgrade, upgrade everything until it is ready for release :)

1684072128947.png