• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Extending packages or class wrappers [Wurst]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
What's the best way to handle custom player attributes in Wurst? I went with the approach of creating a wrapper Player class that contains my custom attributes and also contains a native player object. This lead to some additional wrapper classes needing to be created like Team which contains n wrapper Player objects and my custom team attributes. It also meant I needed a way to convert from the native player type to my new wrapped Player type.

Is this the correct way to do it in Wurst, or is there a way to add variables + functions to a package? Will I also hit any type of performance issue with my simple wrappers?

Level 23
There are many possible ways, and what you described is one possible one, yes.
It is usually a matter of taste whether you want to use custom data structures and wrap stuff in classes or not.
With the use of generics you don't need a separate class for everything though.
I often do something like this: wurstbin (missing some things like ondestroy, just for illustration)
As you can see the teams are simply lists.

Will I also hit any type of performance issue with my simple wrappers?
As a general rule: Worry about performance problems when you encounter them.

Level 2
This is sort of off topic, but is there a way to add scoping to pData?

If I have two packages that are imported with pData then I would like to be able to differentiate. PackageA::pData vs PackageB::pData.

Status
Not open for further replies.