• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Exodus of the Horde" Background Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago I started paying a lot of attention to the TerrainArt of various games and some digital paintings, I think I fell in love. I also found very wonderful new and old works here, works that motivated me to experience this type of art for the first time.

I made this adaptation of the wallpaper "Exodus of the Horde" Reforged, as practice and first attempt of TerrainArt. I used QuenchingMod for the final finish. I did it mainly for Reforged but after finishing it, I also used the classic graphics option to see what it would look like, although I had to fix many things I think it also has its charm

I took some screenshots during the process but was not sure if I should post them here so I will leave this link: Process "Exodus of the Horde" Background
* There are some things that I would like to improve in this painting but I think that with some practice I will find how to solve for future works

Background Tutorial Reforged By Sev 01.jpg

Update: I add a variant that I also made a long time ago. A winter version with an orc Frostwolf and his friend

Background Orc Winter By Sev.jpg

Last edited:
Level 36
My oh my, that is a beautiful first attempt at terraining, I must say :)

And I just love how the Reforged version actually makes unit models viable for terrain art, I can't wait to get my hands on the WE and crowd my future terrains with orcs and elves! But enough about me, this is about you.

The foreground here is superb, I really don't have anything to say about it, except that maybe the trunks of the trees stick out a bit much, in terms of not having amazing textures. Just like with the old game, the tree doodads in wc3 were always made to be looked at from above, which means that when you use them for this purpose, they look kinda weird. Id try to find a clever way of covering them up a bit, either by the use of more rocks, thicker fog, maybe some other plant doodads or something. But otherwise, I don't have anything to pick at.

The background looks a bit "hazy", I don't know if that is something you can fix in the new editor or how that works, but I would move some of the cloud or sky, glow or moon models around a bit to see if you can maybe make it a bit sharper, especially those clouds that seem to be in front of the moon. Otherwise I won't nit-pick, but Ill certainly keep an eye out for any of your future works, you absolutely have a talent here, please give us more ^^

My oh my, that is a beautiful first attempt at terraining, I must say :)

And I just love how the Reforged version actually makes unit models viable for terrain art, I can't wait to get my hands on the WE and crowd my future terrains with orcs and elves! But enough about me, this is about you.

The foreground here is superb, I really don't have anything to say about it, except that maybe the trunks of the trees stick out a bit much, in terms of not having amazing textures. Just like with the old game, the tree doodads in wc3 were always made to be looked at from above, which means that when you use them for this purpose, they look kinda weird. Id try to find a clever way of covering them up a bit, either by the use of more rocks, thicker fog, maybe some other plant doodads or something. But otherwise, I don't have anything to pick at.

The background looks a bit "hazy", I don't know if that is something you can fix in the new editor or how that works, but I would move some of the cloud or sky, glow or moon models around a bit to see if you can maybe make it a bit sharper, especially those clouds that seem to be in front of the moon. Otherwise I won't nit-pick, but Ill certainly keep an eye out for any of your future works, you absolutely have a talent here, please give us more ^^
Thank you very much for the comment. Any observation is good to improve.
I do not doubt that you can do great things with the new editor, the resources are many and the ideas even more, I find it even more attractive than the game itself.
I noticed it, I was not very convinced to use the trees, already in the later works I think I fixed that detail by modifying some models and new textures for a better approach. The issue of the heavens I think is the least I master, I modified the sky but I think the clouds didn't help much, this was a very old non-hd resource and it had movement, so I think that combination made it look like that. I hope to learn how to solve that kind of thing
I've done other similar jobs that I haven't posted yet, but I'm not sure if I should share one at a time like this or wait to have multiple projects and post a single thread. What is commonly done?
Thank you very much again

Status
Not open for further replies.