• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Evolution TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
EVOLUTION TD

"In Evolution TD your main goal is to be the first to 500 kills, but it wont be easy. Your prey is constantly evolving, each wave better suited to withstand your defenses. Faster, better armored, more able to survive, each generation will learn from its failures and adapt and overcome. You build towers that deal extra damage to heavy armor? The next generation will have fewer creeps with heavy armor. You build fast firing towers, the creeps get faster. At every turn your prey will attempt to elude you, and you must constantly upgrade yourself and stay ahead of the curve. Hunt a single species to extinction? Well then you will have devoted too many of your resources to destroying a single adversary, and will probably never be able to catch up to the other species that evolved ahead. Its never good when a hunter kills all of its only prey. Then there is nothing left to hunt. You must spread yourself out, hunt all your prey at once, and constantly adapt to your changing prey, or you will never survive."

Evolution TD will have one main thing that I have never seen before (granted, I do live under a rock, so these things may be out there somewhere), enemies that truly adapt. This will be accomplished by spawning more creeps per wave than are intended to be killed. The ones that survive will be able to spawn more creeps with like abilities/traits, and may even interbreed to form truly optimized species bred purely to survive. If you hunt a single species/trait into extinction, then the towers you have built to hunt them will be mostly useless against the other species that have been able to thrive in the absence of attention. This should force you to hunt and adapt to all things at once, or fail to hunt adequately, and allow the other hunters to win.

At the moment, I am sill perfecting the technique on how to go about this, and am still deciding how many variables there should be. I have decided on only 2 primary variables so far:

• movement speed
  • armor type

These 2 things will not necessarily go hand in hand. The fast creeps may have heavy armor, and the slow ones might not be armored at all (for that matter, i will probably move into custom armor types and move away from the heavy/medium/light stuff). It will all be a product of the evolution that occurs. There are other variables that I am considering but have not yet attempted the integrate, such as flying creeps, ethereal creeps, and allowing mazzing. Any suggestions on possible variables would be welcome. Also, I will be needing mappers and loading screen artists, but not until this map is far more developed (i gotta make this all work first!).

Level 8
Sounds like one really hard project. But it would be really exiting to see.

First I got a question about players on map.
Will they be in separate fields? then evolution of creeps will depend only from how I build my towers.
or maybe players will be somehow connected and the creeps evolve would depend of how all players where building

And how exactly creeps are suppose to spawn per wave?

Level 2
currently I am thinking about having separate lanes for each player, and every ones creeps will evolve along different paths. and to answer how each wave will spawn: the creeps that survive the pass through you lane (as the game is designed with the intent of most of them surviving) will be paired up and then they will breed. Each pair will produce 2 offspring that will have their traits randomly selected between the traits of the parents.

Example:

2 creeps are paired up: a heavy armored, fast moving, ethereal unit and a medium armored, slow moving, non ethereal unit. their offspring will have traits randomly selected from the parents. Therefor, one child might be a slow moving, heavy armored, non ethereal unit and the other might be a medium armored, fast moving, ethereal unit. Neither of them are the exact same as the parents, but both have traits selected from them.

So how are they really evolving to get better? If you build towers that do high damage to Heavy armor creeps, then fewer of them will be able to breed, and fewer of their offspring will have heavy armor, and the entire next generation, or wave, will have as many creeps with heavy armor. The heavy armor will be worked out of the system (or gene pool), and those without heavy armor will continue to evolve and be more successful in surviving the next trip through your lane.

I should probably look into weather there is already a ma named Evolution TD so I can figure out if I need to get another name....

Final note, I would really like o avoid this entire thread turned into a philosophical debate on weather evolution is true or not, so if we could all avoid making comments as to the validity of evolution, that would be super. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.