• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2 Player Co-Op Hunting Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hunting Simulation
2 player co-op

Introduction

The plane taking you and a friend over the wilderness, to the nearest city, has crashed. The impact killed everyone on board, and completely wrecked the plane. Only you and your friend survived, and now must make your way across the great planes to find civilisation. Alone, tired and hungry, you must work together to survive this harsh land. With your belly rumbling, you must search for food to keep your hunger at bay but with predators stalking the night, you'll have to move fast to construct a temporary shelter. Can you survive long enough to be rescued?

About

This map is a hunting simulation, in which you and a friend must try to survive in the wilderness (You can play singleplayer). Below are things that have been included/planned so far. This list is Not complete and there will be so much more added!

Hero Abilities

Note: The hero himself/herself is weak. Very weak. You will be able to create weapons for extra damage, but its meant to be realistic. Get in a fist fight with a lion and see what happens ;)

Simple Abilities

These don't require learning, but can be upgraded.

Cook: Cook 'uncooked meat' which will turn it into either 'cooked meat' or 'burnt meat'. Initially, has a 70% chance of burning.
Collect Lumber: Collects a small amount of lumber per tree you are near. Costs a lot of energy, so be near a few trees before casting. Can collect from dead trees (tree stumps) but will result in a smaller amount of lumber
Sprint: Increased movement speed, but costs a lot of energy.
Construction: (W.I.P) Opens up a construction menu, in which you can use Metal and Lumber to construct items such as Fireplaces, Traps and torches.

Hero Abilities

Scavenge: Allows the Survivor to scavenge. Has 3 levels, each level grants the user an additional find when scavenging.
Cooking Skills: Increases the chance of getting 'cooked meat' when cooking. Level 3 = 90% chance of success.
Increased Sprint: Reduces the energy cost of sprint, and increases the movement speed.
Taming: (W.I.P) Allows you to tame a creature. This creature will gain in power depending on your Taming ability.
Increase Stats: Increases your health/Energy maximum.

More may be incoming...

Completed so far:
  • Hunger System, in which you start loosing health if your hunger reaches 0
  • Salvage: An ability that allows you to salvage Salvageable Items, which will result in a collection of random items depending on your skill (3 levels)
  • Survivors: The hero you will play as. Contains a number of basic skills which can be upgraded when you level up.
  • Cooking: A cooking ability, in which you must have Uncooked meat and a fireplace. Cooking the meat will most likely result in it being burnt (70% chance) unless you upgrade your cooking skill. At the top level (3) you'll have a 90% chance to successfully cook the meat.
  • Harvesting lumber: Stand near trees and use this ability to harvest a small amount of lumber. Does not damage the tree and you'll gain more lumber depending on the amount of trees nearby. Costs a lot of energy to use.
  • Traps: Prey only appears during the night, and its too dangerous to be wandering around. You can place down an unlimited amount of traps which will catch prey that wander nearby it. Be careful though, they can be destroyed by predators if discovered by them so they are not that effective unless you place a lot.
  • Items that you place, such as Fireplaces and Torches, have a time limit on them. Their health will slowly decrease, simulating their fuel being used up, until they are destroyed. Torches are a MUST for night time, since the survivors visibility during the night is VERY low.
  • Prey will only appear near Burrows, and will not spawn when Players are nearby. Some Burrows may be inactive (no prey) whilst others are active. The player will not know the difference!

Planned:
  • Dynamic Predator/Prey AI
  • A crafting system (Like Minecraft, but simpler and without a UI ) in which you can construct tents etc
  • Injury Debuffs, in which your movement is slowed if you are badly hurt.
  • Weapons and bows
  • Mining for Materials
  • Need more ideas!
  • If you have any ideas, please let me know

Last edited:
Level 19
Seems very promising, but you should add that fire scares animals, since its entirely true.
Also, maybe something like a random drop of supplies at a map or morale down if say an Alpha Wolf is killed, meaning all other Wolves get scared and tend to miss more.

Terrain Modifiers seems very nice for this, like when players go behind trees/rocks they get bonus armor and if players go on water, they would be slowed.
Also, swimming? Maybe you can salvage crates through swimming, but you can still attract aquatic hostiles like crocodiles or other stuff.
Taming? Maybe those infant animals maybe captured by an ability and theres a chance that it can be tamed. Of course the animal evolves through time, making it say an infant wolf to an adult, making your survival chance better.
Stamina/energy should also be influenced by hunger and stuff. Also, more factors, such as hygiene, comfort and stuff. Low hygiene can mean lower bonuses from foods eaten and low comfort can mean more energy consumption.
The plane could maybe be salvaged for items such as sharp metals or supplies, which can be used for fighting and survival respectively. The plane should give a small boost.
Lastly, make everything not connected. Maybe the map is divided into 2 cliffs, which are not connected until, say a bridge or a massive tree is destroyed.

Based most of my ideas from the move "The Grey". Really nice movie btw.

Level 4
Seems very promising, but you should add that fire scares animals, since its entirely true.
Also, maybe something like a random drop of supplies at a map or morale down if say an Alpha Wolf is killed, meaning all other Wolves get scared and tend to miss more.

Terrain Modifiers seems very nice for this, like when players go behind trees/rocks they get bonus armor and if players go on water, they would be slowed.
Also, swimming? Maybe you can salvage crates through swimming, but you can still attract aquatic hostiles like crocodiles or other stuff.
Taming? Maybe those infant animals maybe captured by an ability and theres a chance that it can be tamed. Of course the animal evolves through time, making it say an infant wolf to an adult, making your survival chance better.
Stamina/energy should also be influenced by hunger and stuff. Also, more factors, such as hygiene, comfort and stuff. Low hygiene can mean lower bonuses from foods eaten and low comfort can mean more energy consumption.
The plane could maybe be salvaged for items such as sharp metals or supplies, which can be used for fighting and survival respectively. The plane should give a small boost.
Lastly, make everything not connected. Maybe the map is divided into 2 cliffs, which are not connected until, say a bridge or a massive tree is destroyed.

Based most of my ideas from the move "The Grey". Really nice movie btw.

Im trying to work out how to set Torches and Fires to 'scare' mobs away. I'll probably have to trigger it upon them entering a certain area around the fires.

Terrain modifiers could work, but swimming will be disabled. You MIGHT have the ability to build a raft.

Taming would be awesome if you found a wolf pup. And I LOVE the idea of an Alpha Wolf morality drop ;)
The Plane is already salvageable ;)
ATM i'm just using mana for energy, with an ability to increase the amount of stamina you have and its recharge rate. Right now, its very constricting since the activities require a lot of energy to use. Eating food restores energy too. Any other changes to this system would make it unbalanced, so i'd have to change the entire system for this and i just don't have anything in mind.

and the map is divided into segments ;) more then 2, but dunno how many in total. Each with a condition that must be fulfilled.

Level 4
Good that you like the Alpha Wolf thingy :{D
Anywho, mind posting screenies or adding hero abilities?

Of Course :) I'll update the main post with some hero abilities. its W.I.P atm, so the stats may change and new abilities will be added.

For screenies, i haven't finished the terrain yet. Actually, to make the loading time less, i've not worked on any of the terrain except for a small starting area. Once i've done all the game mechanics, then i'll finish off with the terrain.

Level 4
Hmmm, kinda similar to Wilderness Survival Co-Op map....
Well at least this has some unique features and..

I Like It!

Level 4
Hmmm, kinda similar to Wilderness Survival Co-Op map....
Well at least this has some unique features and..

I Like It!

Thanks

I've decided the winning conditions. You'll not be focused on escaping, but more on survivng however everything you do will bring you closer to escaping. Once you've completed a set of tasks, and reached a certain location you'll be able to call for rescue. Only then will you have the chance to explore and find the rescue craft ;) Which will spawn randomly so you will not know where it is every time.

Level 4
Got an Idea,

More Story, with some added gameplay too:
How bout adding Radio parts scattered around the map?
Then after building it you must wait for the helicopter to arrive then
something else happened again, the rescue helicopter crash for unknown reason.
Some weird things starts happening around the map due to some kind of ancient artifact.
New random animal spawn. (Within that helicopter was few weapons scattered too with only a limited ammo so you must save it for emergency)

The radio now tells you to retrieve that artifact then try to either destroy it or try to escape with the artifact by building some kind of motor boat/vehicle, by using the motor/ from the helicopter then bam, you survived!

Also try to add some more skills in the game like Hunting,sneaking, repairing etc....
And try to add some things like Radio part needs to have some Repair skill to repair it
Also, try adding character class like, Engineer , Doctor, Student, etc... all of them gives different starting skills too
It kinda adds a some small story behind the crashing of your plane, and brings more gameplay too
Or just try to stick to your idea.....

Status
Not open for further replies.