• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] Essence Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Heloes Hive Workshop

I decided I'd post something here, as, all in all, I torment y'all with my map's problems, so I can do it here as well as in World Editor Help Zone! :D

My general idea is a Dota-like map with varying heroes' skills. But let's start from the beginning.

Every hero, apart from having their hero skills (2 normal actives, 1 passive and 1 ultimate active) will be able to choose 3 from up to 9 skills, each 3 corresponding to an Essence they choose to develop (hence the map's alpha-version name). There are 20 Essence types, such as Elements, Creation, Death, Darkness, Blood, Void and so on. As mentioned above, each of these will have 3 active skills to choose from and also one passive skill. On the countrary to active skills, the passives are not chosen, they are gained at the moment of developing the Essence to level 1 and kept afterwards.

At the beginning everyone chooses one Essence type just after picking their hero. Developing the Essences will be possible in three ways:
- Using essence-skills (as I prefer to call them) gives +1XP to it per use
- Killing enemy heroes - they will give XP proportionally to their Essence levels
- Killing 'Neutral wave units' - from time to time an event will occur which will spawn a powerful unit corresponding to a random Essence type along with it's minions. Depending on the ammount of minions killed and ammount of damage caused to the boss, each side's hero will get some Essence XP.

Basically, what I want to achieve is a map with slightly different play style. While in DOTA player's choose heroes and then buy items to power them up, in Essence Wars everybody relies more on skills chosen at the moment. Because of that, a DPS hero, for example, can become a Tank if needed.

Since I mentioned items - every hero would have their constant items to fit in the plot (which is taken from my D&D games I create for my friends). That would mostly be a weapon and an armor or something like that, and four empty slots for less significant items like small stat boosts or some potions which will be to be bought.

On the countrary to most AOS-type maps, there is only one fight route, so the war will be kinda mass. In addition to every player being in one spot, there will be up to 20 units per each side's wave (6 basic with 4 added via upgrades and then up to 2 added per player depending on their Essence choice). I'm still wondering whether it's not too much, but I'd see during some beta-test (a soon to be).

Well, that would be all about my map's silhouette. At the moment, I have 9 scripted Essences (not balanced yet) and one hero. As soon as I get to 10/5 I'll translate everything to english and post it here (the map is in polish only, atm)

If any of ya wants to see it and doesn't fear seeing strange polish letters, I'd be glad to post it and hear some criticism :)

Level 24
Can you answer me this question, we see so many AOS out there every day DotA and LoL just being two of those who are free to play, so what is it that makes your AoS so much better than the ones already out there?

Level 6
I guess that it is not to be better, it's just I wanted to make my own map, something somewhat different and I came up with this idea. Of course, you can compare it to masters in this field, namely DOTA and LOL, but you can also simply play it when it's done and say if you like it.

I myself don't like DOTA or LOL, as I never took enough time to learn the strategies. In my Essence Wars, since it's all new, there will be no strategies to learn yet! :D

And, besides, I'm making it for my friends mostly, just wanted to show y'all what I'm doing. I don't care about the scores given to me by people I'll never met. If somebody likes to play my map, even if it's only one person, then my I will be satisfied.

Level 24
Making a map simply because you love making it is without any doubt the best reason to make one so I say good luck and I look forward to seing mmore of this.

Level 6
Frankly, I must say, it is by far the best thing I've ever heard on the internet :D
Thank you very much.

Level 24
I would rather play a crappy map made by someone who poured his soul into it than a good map created by someone who doesn't give a rats @$$ about the map because that's something you are going to notice.

Level 6
Why, thanks for thee interest.

The beta version is going to be ready at the end of September, possibly. Maybe even tomorrow (the laptop I'm using at the moment sucks really bad, I need my CPU back and I don't know when I will). I don't expect it to be balanced... um... to any measure, actually, but I'll test it with my friends before posting here, so it will be playable, I hope :D

Status
Not open for further replies.