• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ENTRYinaWAY

Reactions: deepstrasz
ENTRYinaWAY

Map Info

Full title is Entryway in a way. The title should be familiar to many gamers.
The map is designed for DOOM-2 fans. It's a single player map. TFT version recommended is 1.24. Other versions were not tested but they also should work at least starting with 1.18 (hash tables were not used as well as cache). The map isn’t a total conversion and doesn’t fully correspond to original doom-2 map. It’s just my dream of how Entryway could look in TFT.

History.

The map was originally to be included in the IDVB (Id software vs. Blizzard Entertainment) campaign. To be more exact it’s a secret episode for unfinished campaign IDVB-2 by dave_wwid (begun in 2008 and completed only today) The whole campaign is likely to be left unfinished.

Features
The map features gameplay time of 10-20 minutes.
Includes 1 main quest and 1 optional quest.
The game is easy is it could be. Just pick up familiar guns and use them to kill monsters: imps, cacodemons and if you are brave enough try to defeat Arch-ville.
Controls:
Difficulty level. Normal is default. If you want to get an easy walkthrough you have to enter “easy” string just after the intro. Those who are not afraid of more powerful hell creatures which shouldn’t be normally expected in Entryway may enter “ultra” string after the intro.
Camera includes 2 options camera1 and camera2 (free and locked) locked is set by default.
Fog controls are fog0,fog1 fog2 and fog3 . That is no fog, white fog, red and blue fog.

Some more stuff about the map
Weapons:
Pistol is as usual the weakest weapon. It takes 2-3 pistol shots to kill the easiest monsters.
Shotgun is quite effective and it will take one shot to take down imps and other low-level creeps. It has just the same power as it did in Doom-2.
Rocket. Launcher is more powerful than in Doom-2. You may kill a couple of hell-beasts in one shot.
Chainsaw is extremely effective. The best way to complete the map is to use chainsaw as often as possible. There are a few exceptions. Monsters located on upper level and those who fly are to be taken by shotgun or pistol.
Armor doesn’t last forever but helps much.
There are 2 types of medical kits- those used at once and those which could be carried in the bag. It’s the thing which was not common in the times of DOOM-2 but could have been very useful.

Screenshots:

134609-albums8314-picture99909.jpg

134609-albums8314-picture100053.jpg

134609-albums8314-picture100057.jpg

Changelog:

-To complete the map on ultra violence you must kill Arch-ville. It is set as a victory condition.
-slow spell for imps has shorter range
-Improved decorations in the starting location
-Increased movement speed for Doom Guy to290
-Events for main hero abilities are changed for “starts the effect of ability”
-Hot keys for abilities are fixed
-Event for green armour is changed for “takes damage”
-added difficulty selection dialogue instead of string commands
-added a multiboard for counting killed monsters
-added 2 secret areas
-added explosive barrels
-added 2 achievements (“Super scout” and “Inventive killer”)
-improved outdoor areas
-fixed victory trigger
-fixed hotkey description for shotgun
-fixed check for "inventive killer"
-fixed waits for "take chainsaw"

Credits:
models and textures - wc3sear.ch/hiveworkshop.com (Epsilon, Kimberly, Gasamazed, savannn, Grey Knight, Punisher_x ... Unfortunately, authors of imp, arch-ville and switch models are not known)
xgm.guru (ПИНАЧЕТ, КОЗЬМА, Nikikin...) Some models were retextured and/or remade
icons - dave_wwid (ID software concept), sounds - ID software, textures - ID software
Level design, ammo and medical kit models, doom-style walls and floor doodads - dave_wwid

Author’s notes:
Don’t forget the original doom-2 map. Some secrets are the same. As for medical kits you have to check bushes and high grass.
134609-albums8314-picture99908.jpg

Keywords:
Doom-2, space, modern warfare
Contents

ENTRYinaWAY (Map)

Reviews
16:32, 14th Jul 2015 Shadow Fury: Bugs fixed, map approved with a rating of 3/5.
Level 21
Hm, isn't this a big exaggerated to say ?

Not really... an unattractive, non-bb-coded map description does not always mean it is unacceptable. If it contains the necessary information, it may pass. It's the user's problem if the description will not attract a lot of people to download the map.

Very off-topic: Cmon Ardenian! One post to 1000!!! Join us in the 4-digited number of posts.

Level 4
Doom is supposed to be a first person shooter. Why not set the camera to be locked to the player looking forward and use space bar to shoot? Arrow key movement systems are easy.
The reason is that it was to be a map in a capaign and making first person shooter wasn't my goal. There are lots of engines for porting doom (prboom/zdoom/jdoom and many more) which fit for making 1st-person shooters. TFT-FPS wouldn't be in the same street.

Level 21
The map is far too problematic. Excluding the numerous leaks you have, you got so many issues with the shooting system and the skills.
As I started the game, I had the skill "Pistol" whose hotkey is supposed to be "B" according to the tooltip. Sadly, that's not what I found out in the Object Editor. What's the problem with this to bother talking about it? Well, you set its hotkey to "P", one of the 5 forbidden hotkeys *H*A*M*P*S*. Each of these letters is a hotkey for the generic commands like attack and patrol so you cannot use them for abilities otherwise when I'll press one of them, the spell will not cast. Accordingly, I couldn't use rapidly neither Pistol nor Shotgun (hotkey S). Oh right, rocket launcher doesn't deal any damage because if you alter the Stats - Effect to anything else that is not the default, it will not work. Just re-set it to Cluster Rockets (Effect).

While playing the game, I noticed that the bullets item decreased even before actually shooting it. This is because you used Begins channeling an ability instead of Starts the effect of an ability which triggers only when the ability was just casted (in this case the exact instant when the bullet is shot). You should also use this event for shotgun and rocket launcher instead of the one you used. Even the green armour trigger is wrong. By using Is attacked it means that if a target is starting the attack but I kill it before it damages me, the number of charges of green armour falls by 1 anyway. Since the hero is an already-placed unit in the World Editor, use Takes Damage instead through Unit - Specific Unit Event.

The messages I received in caps lock felt too aggressive and dreadful. I'd suggest making the texts in small letters.

The visuals were not that good too. Custom resources to give a modern feeling were present but you really lack decoration. Also, the terrain outside the building was totally flat and I could notice pyramid-like raisings which really look unnatural. Doodads usage in the green areas was nice but still subject to improvements.

Lastly, the game was too short and had nothing really exciting. You should really make it longer, add more enemies (maybe more secrets too?), more smart mechanisms and any other thing you find appropriate.

Overall the map is set to needs fix with a rating of 2/5

Level 4
Shadow Fury,
Thanks for advice. Especially the tip about hotkeys was rather useful. Event starts the effect of an ability will of course be better. I just forgot about this. The tip that Rocket Launcher does no damage is somewhat unexpected. Anyway if you shoot at a moving unit you are going to miss and shooting at an immobile unit does full damage. It worked for 1.24.
The only thing that I cannot change is the lack of decorations in doom2-familiar areas. I suppose it might spoil the whole map.

Level 21
Shadow Fury,
Thanks for advice. Especially the tip about hotkeys was rather useful. Event starts the effect of an ability will of course be better. I just forgot about this. The tip that Rocket Launcher does no damage is somewhat unexpected. Anyway if you shoot at a moving unit you are going to miss and shooting at an immobile unit does full damage. It worked for 1.24.
The only thing that I cannot change is the lack of decorations in doom2-familiar areas. I suppose it might spoil the whole map.

Cheer up, the terrain is the second priority. If your gameplay is entertaining, I can still approve the map with the lack of decorations because at least the custom modern stuff look really great and suitable to the theme.

Wait... what? It worked for 1.24? I apologize but I don't understand this. Can you explain it better please?

Level 4
I've got TFT 1.24. And R Launcher works in this version. I suppose it might be working even in later versions. Simply it's too easy to miss when monsters are running.

PS Made all possible changes and upadated the map. See changelog.

Last edited:
Level 4
I got 1.26 and I targeted a static unit so it is impossible that I missed it.
Updates? Cool, I will check the map for a second time.

So strange. It seems impossible to have such critical differences between 1.24 and 1.26.
Hope your second test will be less disappointing.

PS- achievement "Super scout" is very hard to get as the person who wants to get it will have to put a cat on the keyboard. The 5th secret location was discovered by accidental mouse-clicking close to the lift (Actually it is a bug in the pathing. I thought it boring to fix and made a new secret location.).

Last edited:
Level 21
PS- achievement "Super scout" is very hard to get as the person who wants to get it will have to put a cat on the keyboard. The 5th secret location was discovered by accidental mouse-clicking close to the lift (Actually it is a bug in the pathing. I thought it boring to fix and made a new secret location.).

You did a good job with that. I would've never thought of going *there*. I couldn't find it but since it is my duty to be aware of everything about the map, I used iseedeadpeople :mwahaha: which made it crystal clear.

Anyway, I noticed improvements. Bugs fixed, but a new one emerged. The victory trigger lacks this command:

• Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
It is to avoid running the same trigger twice. I managed to do so by stepping away from the platform and re-stepping on it. You shall set it as the first command of the whole trigger.

Good news! You've implemented a lot of great features in your map such as the choosable difficulty, the multiboard with the "ingenious kills" part which stimulates people to find smart ways of killing enemies, fully-functional weapons and items (although shotgun's tooltip says T but in reality it's W), good terrain and, most important, enjoyable gameplay. It's short, yes, but it's nonetheless a good way for spending some pleasant 10 minutes.

Overall the map is almost approvable. Just fix the bug of the victory trigger and approval will follow right away with a rating of 3/5.

Off-topic: 1200th post reached!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
You could make an awesome campaign with puzzles and stuff.

-why doesn't chainsaw have a hotkey?
-OK, rockets don't work on flying units
-Imps are not affected by rockets
-keys only appear after stepping on the circles; if the player goes where the keys should be before that, the keys aren't there

3.5/5

Level 4
why doesn't chainsaw have a hotkey?
-OK, rockets don't work on flying units
-Imps are not affected by rockets
-keys only appear after stepping on the circles; if the player goes where the keys should be before that, the keys aren't there
Thanks for testing. Gonna check the issues when possible.
You could make an awesome campaign with puzzles and stuff.
Not sure I'll have time for that. Anyway making a campign was the original idea.