• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Empire Builder SE 1.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Very minor changes from 1.0 see the quests change log for more details.

Download 1.0 here: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/70787/

Keywords:
empire, builder, raider, defence, sixco, 1.0
Contents

Empire Builder SE 1.1 (Map)

Reviews
10:22, 21st Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2: Even thought Hermit did vote for approval, I won't do anything about it until you fix the description, which must describe what the map is about, until then, Rejected.

M

10:22, 21st Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Even thought Hermit did vote for approval, I won't do anything about it until you fix the description, which must describe what the map is about, until then, Rejected.

Level 24
Hello,I'm here to review your map!
-EDIT-
Now,I review a bit hard,even on the off-topic parts,but don't worry,I enjoyed the map:grin:

Critteria:

[+]The map size was good and spaceous,for a RP kind of map,you really need a large map!
[+]Also,I must say that the gameplay was simplistic,in this kind of genre I find that it suit the best!
[+]Another mentionable issue,it does not contain in-game imports!
[/]To say,it is only for Multiplayer!
[/]Many ,many writing mistakes,in a RP ,people usually read the tooltip!
[/]No description,nothing !
[-]I must tease you here Chapter :Terrain,wasn't invoked here,altho it's a very important part of any kind of map!
[-]Are there any win conditions?I didn't saw any!

Final
6/10 - Key:Gameplay & Fun Factor
Degrader:poor Terrain
Key
Gameplay - Yep,it's simple,but funny as hell.The only MP part is a bit degrading.If you have doubts,there are SP Role Playing Maps ,play them and take some inspiration from there!
Degrader
Terrain - next time,or soon.Update the map and impose and create a greater terrain,and you'll hit the jack pot
Keep up to good mapping,and do improve the terrain!:thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 7
Thanks for the fairly good review, I just wanted to add that the terrain and tooltips are not by me... the original maker made it, but I will try to fixt them in the next version. The original maker having quit WC3 but left his email on some of his maps has wished to not have his Bnet name revealed and has allowed me to continue this map. I will start a topic post for people that want to help me with the terrain because I am not-so-good with terrain :D

Anyway thanks for the review NearbyHermit! :p

EDIT: EMPIRE BUILDER'S NEW THREAD: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f256/empire-builder-se-104161/#post877980

Last edited:
Level 24
Nothing to it!

It's my fair duty and humble job!

Well,I've played this map before and wandered if you are the creator,seems no,but in this case,you must give proper credit no matter what the other says,it's in Hive's policy to clearly tell who the original creator was or is!

But if he fairly passed the map to you,then it's allright!

Just improve it,since it's your map now,and give a bit more detail at the descrition ,that's all I ask!

Keep up to good work :grin:

Level 9
Here goes nothin'. I'm sure you'd love to get another review so that this map can get its way to approval. Here's a minimod review.

AngryBovine's Score Table:

Presentation

Gameplay

Miscellaneous

Overall Performance

Your Map's Ranking

How well is your map presented, at first glance? Is it appealing? Descriptive?

Is your game fun to play? Does it accomplish its goal? Will people want to play it again?

How well planned out is your game? Are there any errors? How "polished" is it?

Based on how you performed on the previous categories, here is your score.

This is the score system your score is weighed against. Anything above rejected is approved.

Description
3/5
Minimap Preview
1/2
Loading Screen
2/5
Credits
4/4
Perfect Bonus
+0

Fun
4/10
Unique/Creative
6/8
Learning Curve
4/5
Balance
10/10
Execution
8/10
Replayability
2/5
Perfect Bonus
+0

Solo Compatibility
6/8
Grammar/Spelling
4/5
Neatness
4/10
UI Coordination
4/5
Bug-Free
8/8
Perfect Bonus
+0

Total Score
66/100
Ranking
Average
Voted for
Approval
This map is a
2/5

Rejected
0-49 :: 0/5
Below Average
50-59 :: 1/5
Average
60-69 :: 2/5
Above Average
70-79 :: 3/5
Good
80-89 :: 4/5
Great - Recommended!
90-99 :: 5/5
Perfect - MiniMod's Choice!
100+ :: 6/5

Explanation Comments:
-Short description suffices, but could be much better: -2 Description
-No custom minimap preview, but that's alright: -1 minimap preview
-No information found on the loading screen, though you have author's name and tell of changes: -3 loading screen
-Did not test against other players, so I couldn't find any problems with balancing in and of itself: No change
-Green Icons: -1 Neatness, -1 UI coordination
-Tooltips do not match unit names: -2 Neatness
-Tooltips are sometimes empty, such as creating more population: -2 Neatness
-Capitalization: -1 Neatness, -1 Grammar
-Limited building types per race: -3 Fun, -1 Execution, -1 Replayability
-"Human Hero" is unoriginal, it is just a copy of an archmage with a changed name: -1 Fun, -1 Execution, -2 Creativity
-Not explained how directly to increase population, no default income, because of lack of tooltip: -1 Learning Curve
-No new gameplay features, though you do have multiple races and the ability to play as raiders: -1 replayability, -2 fun
-The general remains the same regardless of race choice, the thing is, the only difference between the races is a graphical change: -1 replayability
-Fully single player testable, though not really playable. There doesn't seem to be bots: -2 Solo-capacity
-No bugs were encountered. Good job on that: No change.

Additional Comments:
While this map was called "Empire Builder," I never got the feeling I was building an empire. There wasn't enough of a description of how to play, and many of the tooltips were lacking. There was nothing new to this game. It looks like time was put into it, but there really just isn't enough here. The major nice comment I have is that this map is pretty small and loads quickly because of the lack of custom models and how it still works without custom models.

In the future, try to put more work into it. This map has nothing that makes it stand out. Races need unique units, and there has to be a more epic feel to the whole map. Try to work on the terrain as well. Yes, I know the map was passed on to you. That's why I was expecting more change. If the original maker didn't make something good, take it upon yourself to correct it. Some thing like tooltips.

Last edited:
Level 24
Here goes nothin'. I'm sure you'd love to get another review so that this map can get its way to approval. Here's a minimod review.

AngryBovine's Score Table:

Presentation

Gameplay

Miscellaneous

Overall Performance

Your Map's Ranking

How well is your map presented, at first glance? Is it appealing? Descriptive?

Is your game fun to play? Does it accomplish its goal? Will people want to play it again?

How well planned out is your game? Are there any errors? How "polished" is it?

Based on how you performed on the previous categories, here is your score.

This is the score system your score is weighed against. Anything above rejected is approved.

Description
3/5
Minimap Preview
1/2
Loading Screen
2/5
Credits
4/4
Perfect Bonus
+0

Fun
4/10
Unique/Creative
6/8
Learning Curve
4/5
Balance
10/10
Execution
8/10
Replayability
2/5
Perfect Bonus
+0

Solo Compatibility
6/8
Grammar/Spelling
4/5
Neatness
4/10
UI Coordination
4/5
Bug-Free
8/8
Perfect Bonus
+0

Total Score
66/100
Ranking
Average
Voted for
Approval
This map is a
2/5

Rejected
0-49 :: 0/5
Below Average
50-59 :: 1/5
Average
60-69 :: 2/5
Above Average
70-79 :: 3/5
Good
80-89 :: 4/5
Great - Recommended!
90-99 :: 5/5
Perfect - MiniMod's Choice!
100+ :: 6/5

Explanation Comments:
-Short description suffices, but could be much better: -2 Description
-No custom minimap preview, but that's alright: -1 minimap preview
-No information found on the loading screen, though you have author's name and tell of changes: -3 loading screen
-Did not test against other players, so I couldn't find any problems with balancing in and of itself: No change
-Green Icons: -1 Neatness, -1 UI coordination
-Tooltips do not match unit names: -2 Neatness
-Tooltips are sometimes empty, such as creating more population: -2 Neatness
-Capitalization: -1 Neatness, -1 Grammar
-Limited building types per race: -3 Fun, -1 Execution, -1 Replayability
-"Human Hero" is unoriginal, it is just a copy of an archmage with a changed name: -1 Fun, -1 Execution, -2 Creativity
-Not explained how directly to increase population, no default income, because of lack of tooltip: -1 Learning Curve
-No new gameplay features, though you do have multiple races and the ability to play as raiders: -1 replayability, -2 fun
-The general remains the same regardless of race choice, the thing is, the only difference between the races is a graphical change: -1 replayability
-Fully single player testable, though not really playable. There doesn't seem to be bots: -2 Solo-capacity
-No bugs were encountered. Good job on that: No change.

Additional Comments:
While this map was called "Empire Builder," I never got the feeling I was building an empire. There wasn't enough of a description of how to play, and many of the tooltips were lacking. There was nothing new to this game. It looks like time was put into it, but there really just isn't enough here. The major nice comment I have is that this map is pretty small and loads quickly because of the lack of custom models and how it still works without custom models.

In the future, try to put more work into it. This map has nothing that makes it stand out. Races need unique units, and there has to be a more epic feel to the whole map. Try to work on the terrain as well. Yes, I know the map was passed on to you. That's why I was expecting more change. If the original maker didn't make something good, take it upon yourself to correct it. Some thing like tooltips.

Came to the same conclussion it seems,a moderator must view this map!