• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Effect wanted: Lightning Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm making a map like the chess event from Karazhan (World of Warcraft), and I need an effect like what happens when you beat Medivh: a Lightning Storm erupts over the playable area.
Its been about 6 months since I was last in Karazhan, so I can only go from what I remember, but I'm pretty sure it was like bolts of lightning would shoot down onto the ground at random positions around the board.
I think it lasted for 15 seconds, after which I would be ending the game in victory for whoever won.

Level 5
Here's my really nooby and basic idea. Make a huge ass monsoon ability and let it shoot a billion bolts every second to cover the whole board. Make a trigger that creates a dummy and tell the dummy to cast the spell at the center of the playable map area and there you go?

Level 11
Here's my suggestion. Make a region and make it so when your event happens it starts to have heavy rain and wind. Then make a trigger with a quick fade out and fade in (blue) trigger every 13 seconds which simmulates lightning strikes.

Level 10
Heh, clearly you two don't know the effect I'm talking about.
Its indoors, no rain or wind, more of a magic storm.
Tomorrow Im going to take a shot at it myself, see if I can find some lightning bolt spell or something.

Level 5
Create dummy units: Clouds. Change last created unit fly height to x. Every x seconds, created dummy unit: Lightning in a random area in region [Playable map area]

Level 5
If you want a "Lightning Storm" with different effects. Try making a region and ever X seconds of the game, If <Unit> is dead, create special FX at random point on a region and mixing up other lightning models(Imported ones). Here are what i've found on hive.
Don't forget to give credit to the modelers. :wink:

Now, if you want those bolts to deal damage, you're gonna have to ask trigger people and not modelers. Unless the model people know how to make this trigger.

BTW, There already is a lightning bolt spell on Warcraft. It's a cinematic doodad.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models.php?id=g43xcg&prev=search=Lightning&d=list&r=20
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models.php?id=e422w7&prev=search=Lightning&d=list&r=20
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models.php?id=lk6coc&prev=search=Lightning&d=list&r=20

Level 10
Actually I just realised that what I want is in the game already.
That level of the ex human campaign, where youre breaking the bloodelves out of their prisons, when you step on the matching tiles then lightning strikes the ground.

I could setup lightning to strike a few random points in a region, but where do I find that lightning effect?

Level 10
Can a mod please move this to the help forum, since I've decided to just try and make it myself.

Heres what I've written:

JASS:
local integer index = 0
    loop
        exitwhen index > 10
        call AddSpellEffectLoc("Abilities\\Weapons\\ChimaeraLightningMissile\\ChimaeraLightningMissile.mdl", EFFECT_TYPE_LIGHTNING, GetRandomLocInRect(gg_rct_Playable_Area))
        set index = index + 1
    endloop
But nothings happening.. what am I doing wrong :(
Just want it to strike a few pillars of lightning at random points in a region every so many seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.