• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Editing W3 races?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, I want to ask how to make a trigger action in this case:
I choose human as my main race, then later a town hall and 5 peasants are automatically created.

Firstly what i want to do is, to replace this town hall as another custom building that I'm going to make lets say building A.
Secondly how do you replace the 5 peasants to something like 2-3 custom units that i made?

Thanks . :D:thumbs_up:

Level 21
Hello, I want to ask how to make a trigger action in this case:
I choose human as my main race, then later a town hall and 5 peasants are automatically created.

Firstly what i want to do is, to replace this town hall as another custom building that I'm going to make lets say building A.
Secondly how do you replace the 5 peasants to something like 2-3 custom units that i made?

Thanks . :D:thumbs_up:

You edit the initalization trigger.
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Melee Game - Use melee time of day (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-type (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Give trained Heroes a Scroll of Town Portal (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Remove creeps and critters from used start locations (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
      • Melee Game - Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players)
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Town Hall) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Custom Town Hall using The old unit's relative life and mana
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Town Hall2) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Custom Town Hall2 using The old unit's relative life and mana
Note that you must also remove or disable the "Enforce victory/defeat conditions" thing.

The next way is just editing the town hall and worker units in object editor. However, I don't recommend it, as it's usually better to add races than modify.

Level 2
Thanks for the reply, but it would be more helpful if you can explain more about the meaning of these triggers :
Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Town Hall) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Custom Town Hall using The old unit's relative life and mana.
I dont get why do you double the triggers above?

and what do you mean add races? i thought warcraft 3 only allow 4 races?

Sorry im still a beginner on this thing.. :(

Level 21
Thanks for the reply, but it would be more helpful if you can explain more about the meaning of these triggers :
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Town Hall) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
    • Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Custom Town Hall using The old unit's relative life and mana.

The custom script tells the game that you don't want to keep the next unit group that is about to be created.
Unit Group thing creates a unit group that contains some kinds of units(Town halls) and does something with them.
Replace simply replaces the unit with a different one. It is pretty much like deleting a unit and creating a new one in its place.

Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Town Hall) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Custom Town Hall using The old unit's relative life and mana.

I'm sorry if I'm underestimating you, but it sounds like you don't really know much GUI.

The easiest way to make a custom race is to just use the "base" peon-type unit from the standard race and change it in Object Editor. For example you could use a Fel Orc Peon instead of the model for the standard Peon. Now you have a custom worker. The same goes for the starting Hall. Change the name, model, icon and tooltips and you have a new starting hall. Then you can change the peon's list of buildings that he can build. Again my apology if this is too simple and not useful.

Creating a 5th race is a little trickier but can be done in several ways too. Trigger the starting units with standard Melee Game actions and trigger the custom unit with triggers setting the starting units and resources.

For now my guess is you need to become an Object Editor master and then move on to the more complex work of GUI. I might be wrong, please don't take offense.

You can also make custom spells in Object Editor by changing stats, buffs and effects. GUI spells are a bit more advanced but there are some good beginner spells here in the spells forum. I suggest downloading an Altered Melee map with custom races and looking through every part of the editor to see how someone else created their race. Look at trigger editor, object editor, gameplay constants, player properties, force properties, etc. Look at everything. This should give you a good idea on how to start. Then if you can't seem to get something done, post a specific question here. I hope this helps and again, if you are already past this stage, I'm sorry, please don't take offense. Its hard to tell where someone's skills are sometimes.

Remove the starting units trigger and do this at map initialization...
  • Actions
    • Unit - create 1 custom_unt for (player 1(red)) at position of (starting location for (player 1(red))
repeat as needed.

Level 2
I'm sorry if I'm underestimating you, but it sounds like you don't really know much GUI.

The easiest way to make a custom race is to just use the "base" peon-type unit from the standard race and change it in Object Editor. For example you could use a Fel Orc Peon instead of the model for the standard Peon. Now you have a custom worker. The same goes for the starting Hall. Change the name, model, icon and tooltips and you have a new starting hall. Then you can change the peon's list of buildings that he can build. Again my apology if this is too simple and not useful.

Creating a 5th race is a little trickier but can be done in several ways too. Trigger the starting units with standard Melee Game actions and trigger the custom unit with triggers setting the starting units and resources.

For now my guess is you need to become an Object Editor master and then move on to the more complex work of GUI. I might be wrong, please don't take offense.

You can also make custom spells in Object Editor by changing stats, buffs and effects. GUI spells are a bit more advanced but there are some good beginner spells here in the spells forum. I suggest downloading an Altered Melee map with custom races and looking through every part of the editor to see how someone else created their race. Look at trigger editor, object editor, gameplay constants, player properties, force properties, etc. Look at everything. This should give you a good idea on how to start. Then if you can't seem to get something done, post a specific question here. I hope this helps and again, if you are already past this stage, I'm sorry, please don't take offense. Its hard to tell where someone's skills are sometimes.

Remove the starting units trigger and do this at map initialization...
  • Actions
    • Unit - create 1 custom_unt for (player 1(red)) at position of (starting location for (player 1(red))
repeat as needed.

Thanks and Yeah no problem as i told you im still a novice even at GUI, i managed to open some maps and try to observe, but most of them are made in JASS which is even more complex than GUI. :goblin_good_job:

Thanks for that program, ill check it out :p:goblin_yeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.