• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

edit spells in TFT for use in ROC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey everyone, I'm completeley new to these boards. From what I've seen of the site this seems like a good place to get helpful input :D I'm currently working on my first map ever and have no prior experience using WE. That being said... I know how frustraiting it is for people to ask for help and not give you detailed information on thier problem So.... Here is some info:
I'm using RoC world edit, being which after many frustraiting hours I came to realize I could not edit spells in to go with my custom hero's. So after more research I came to understand that the expansion TFT came with a spell editor in it. Well, this was good at first.... seeing as I had more models to pick from for new hero graphics and I could make any spell I wanted have with desired effects however.... after completing the map layout, choosing custom hero's and thier attributes I proceeded to test when it dawned on me that hero's were gaining experience from anywhere on the map. Meaning no matter where they were they were getting exp for creeps and etc killed. Well needless to say this led to many more frustraiting hours before I discovered TFT implemented a new global experience thing. :evil: :evil: So with that I decided I'd like to finish my map for RoC users which I originally intended for anyhow since some of those users don't get to play many fun new maps being that most good map makers seem to have went to TFT. Anyhow hopefully that explains my situation a bit. Now I'd like to ask....

1. Is there any way to transfer spells/custom spells from a TFT map to ROC map??

2. If there isn't could anyone pls explain in detail how I would go about enhancing spells through triggers (for RoC) and or using triggers so that hero's can use *normal* unit abilities... like cannibalize, bloodlust things of that nature?

3. I know there used to be spell editors for RoC previous to TFT release but to my knowledge there are no working ones left do to latest patch for RoC. Does anyone where I can locate one that is still working ?

Any help or helpful input would be greatly appreciated :D I really want to finish my map so I can release it for the public to enjoy/dislike lol

Thx Curr :twisted:

p.s. Detailed responses appreciated even more so :p

pls don't half read the post and suggest I buy TFT, I want the map for RoC (maybe I should have put this at beginning of post) :? **although I do have TFT if it is needed in any of the solutions to my questions above**

Level 8
If you want to make maps for RoC, I recommend that you uninstall completely and only reinstall RoC. While theoretically, the TFT editor lets you save RoC maps if you don't do anything wrong, in practice it's quite difficult to keep the RoC designation, sometimes even when you use only RoC features, and sometimes you can accidentally save a map successfully as RoC only to find that it won't run in RoC because you have some aspect of TFT lying about.

As far as editing spells is concerned, the way that people used to edit them in RoC is by extracting the HumanAbilityData.txt and HumanAbilityStrings.txt [sic] files, as well as the AbilityData.slk [sic] file, directly from the most recent patch of RoC, and inserting those into the map itself with WinMPQ.

If you want more detail, you might try looking for an old spell-editing tutorial. While most spell-editor programs quite likely won't work, you don't actually need a spell editor to do the work. You just need to have the right files.

I may have mis-remembered the file names. If you go through with this, you'll likely see the files that you need if you look for the names I listed.

Level 2
CooL, Thx Panto. I got some similar advice in another forum (spells) where I made the same post. It entailed a few helpful links which i've explored and I believe is leading me in the right direction...but hit a few bumps...hoping to figure it out....I'll post more on this topic for any others interested in the spells forum under the same topic (if anyone else out there is stumped)

thx again panto,
Curr

*******END THIS POST*******************************8

Status
Not open for further replies.