• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Edit Skins for Footprints for Models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
i'm rather new to the whole concept of editing the graphics for the game...so bear with me...

if you get lost in what i'm explaining, you can visit the old thread to see what i mean.

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122319

So, now I can edit all footprints and make them look like whatever.

I edit the Splats.slk file for this. for example edit FBR1 and FBL1 makes the demon hunter model run around with edited footprints. The problem I'm running into is, you'll notice in the node manager of the model editor that both Demon Hunter and Peasant have the same footprints in their model.

(But I don't want the peasant to have a trail that looks like the Demon Hunter. My Demon Hunter is special and is permanently invisible so I want him to have a blue trail that is easy to see.)

I don't know much about skinning at all. But I was thinking can't I import the event in the node manager that shows what footprints the model uses? But I don't know how to do that, if you can do that, then that solves my problem. But I don't think you can.

I think what I need to do is make a simple very small skin for the model and import that. And all the skin does is change the footprint to something else. If I do this I can for example take the FTR0 and FTL0 which are used by trolls, which are scarce in my map, and edit and use those for the Demon Hunter model.

But how to do that? I know I can change the footprints by editing the slk file but it seems like what footprints are used by each unit are decided in the models of the units. That means many different units may use the same footprints, like many different units use the same as the Demon Hunter, Peasant and I think Felguard or Overseer uses the same also. Can I use the model editor for making skins or should I use something else?

Can I get some advice on this? I've never made a skin before. It might not be hard but I thought maybe I should ask about it before I tried to do it. So do you think this would work? I'm asking because I don't know much about skinning but it seems like it would work. There should be some way to get around having to import an entire model, right?

Last edited:
Level 13
ok i fixed the link, sorry about that...anyway i have to change the footprints because like i told you, demon hunter and peasant use the same footprints and that's not cool.

i already know how to change footprints by editing the .slk file.

what i don't know is how to change what footprints are used by the models/skins. basically by this i mean even if i change a footprint and i haven't gotten so far as to be able to add ribbons onto it...lol, although if someone could advise me on how to do that, that'd be cool...anyway even if i do change a footprint i don't know how to make demon hunter and peasant use DIFFERENT footprints FROM EACHOTHER.

Status
Not open for further replies.