• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Echo Stomp why doesn't it work?help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Echo Stomp Dota Tauren Chieften (Reworked)

2023-02-08_033435.jpg

What am I doing wrong?:
works only for the red player

In the updated version, after the application there is a shadow that dummy causes, a fix is required

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 65
As it says in that thread, the spell was never made MUI so it won't work for more than one Unit at a time. It also has a bunch of other issues hence the 2 star rating. The creator was obviously still learning how to create triggers when they uploaded that.

Anyway, I created my own version of Echo Stomp and a lazily made Astral Spirit as well that should be somewhat similar to Elder Titan's abilities from DotA 2. It's not perfect but it should get you on the right path.

An issue I am already aware of is that the Astral Spirit can still cast Echo Stomp while Elder Titan is stunned/silenced. It's a bit difficult to mimic this behavior in Warcraft 3, although possible with enough effort.

Attachments

• Echo Stomp 1.w3m
    28.9 KB · Views: 2
Level 5
As it says in that thread, the spell was never made MUI so it won't work for more than one Unit at a time. It also has a bunch of other issues hence the 2 star rating. The creator was obviously still learning how to create triggers when they uploaded that.

Anyway, I created my own version of Echo Stomp and a lazily made Astral Spirit as well that should be somewhat similar to Elder Titan's abilities from DotA 2. It's not perfect but it should get you on the right path.

An issue I am already aware of is that the Astral Spirit can still cast Echo Stomp while Elder Titan is stunned/silenced. It's a bit difficult to mimic this behavior in Warcraft 3, although possible with enough effort.
Does the spell work without the unit indexer?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 65
No, the Unit Indexer is required, although a Hashtable could be used as an alternative if you reworked the triggers slightly. I would recommend using the Unit Indexer though as it's arguably the most powerful and easy to use tool for making quick MUI effects. Note that you only want one Unit Indexer system in your map at a time though, so make sure you don't have copies of it.

Also, if you are manually setting the Custom Value of units in any of your triggers then you will run into problems. Luckily, it's very easy to adapt those triggers to instead use Integer array variables that take advantage of the Unit Indexer instead. A Unit Indexer essentially gives you infinite Custom Values per unit in the form of variable creation, and not only that, it doesn't limit you to just saving an Integer to a unit, you can save any variable type -> Special Effect, Item, Real, Point, Unit Group, etc...

Level 5
it used to work before the release of the reforged update.

works a little wrong, and the damage should come from the ability itself and not from the trigger

In my case it was a freezing Echo Stomp
1 wave should freeze 2 cause damage , it used to work that way since when did it stop

or at least Thunderclap was used for the main skill , so they were slightly immobilized and then MadCow was used.

Last edited:
Level 5
No, the Unit Indexer is required, although a Hashtable could be used as an alternative if you reworked the triggers slightly. I would recommend using the Unit Indexer though as it's arguably the most powerful and easy to use tool for making quick MUI effects. Note that you only want one Unit Indexer system in your map at a time though, so make sure you don't have copies of it.

Also, if you are manually setting the Custom Value of units in any of your triggers then you will run into problems. Luckily, it's very easy to adapt those triggers to instead use Integer array variables that take advantage of the Unit Indexer instead. A Unit Indexer essentially gives you infinite Custom Values per unit in the form of variable creation, and not only that, it doesn't limit you to just saving an Integer to a unit, you can save any variable type -> Special Effect, Item, Real, Point, Unit Group, etc...
It's strange that I didn't copy the unit indexer, but for some reason this ability works on my map.
By the way, Thunder Staff I didn't add Chain Lightning to DummySpellGenerator. But it still works, it's weird.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 65
it used to work before the release of the reforged update.

It works a little wrong, and the damage should come from the ability itself and not from the trigger

In my case it was a freezing Echo Stomp
1 wave should freeze 2 cause damage , it used to work that way since when did it stop

or at least Thunderclap was used for the main skill , so they were slightly immobilized and then MadCow was used.
All units have a default Custom Value of 0, so it will work fine until you try to use it with two Elder Titans at the same time. I can guarantee that it's not MUI safe without the Unit Indexer. Although, if you were to remove the Astral Spirit ability then the Unit Indexer is no longer needed but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of why I designed it this way.

Anyway, my design uses a Dummy unit for casting the actual War Stomp ability. I didn't want the source of the damage to come from the Dummy unit so I set War Stomps damage to 0 in the editor and triggered it myself. This opens the door to more possibilities as well since you can fully customize the damage.

Also, you could make it so the Dummy unit casts Thunderclap instead, it's not difficult to change the ability and the order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.